Alcohol

Options
Hey Everybody, I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling to stave off the alcohol to help lose weight (and be all around healthier) but I'm really having a hard time. I love to have a beer after work, wine with dinner and the weekends, well forget it. It's been nearly a week since I've had anything and so far so good. I really need some suggestions to substitute the cravings (hot green tea has really helped) Anybody else having the same issues?

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Don't treat weight lose as a prison sentence - everything in moderation
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    This is nice to sip on.........water, fresh squeezed lemon and lime, freshly grated ginger, ice, blend up. I tell myself it's a margaritta, lol
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I DRINK COORS LITE, AND WINE, AND THE OCCASIONAL MARGARITA!!!!! HERE AND THERE WON'T HURT, AND IT DOES A BODY GOOD,LOL, RED:drinker:
  • kristinl01
    Options
    That's sounds delicious!! I'll think I'll have one of those with my lunch.
  • fenellafox
    Options
    Red wine is my weakness...i like a glass each evening an 2 or 3 on a weekend.

I've saved calories during the day to allow one glass during the week. Friday night i worried cos i hadn't saved enough for 2 glasses. so i split the 200ml into 2 and topped it up with diet lemonade. so i still had 2 drinks and didn't feel like i had missed out.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't limit myself. If I want one beer, I'll have a beer. I won't have five beers, but one I can figure into my daily allowance for calories without an issue, along with a glass of wine. I don't have one every day, but every other day, or every few days, totally fine. But I don't have cravings for alcohol, so it has never been a big deal to just not have it. :)
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I too enjoyed alcohol (in small amounts) most days - however, I have been just having water for the last few weeks, since I started with MFP. On Thursday night, after a particularly tough work day, I decided to have some wine. Just two glasses... large glasses mind, so that is about half a bottle. Well - that lead to the slices of pizza I had saved for my hubby being hoovered up!! Then - horror of horrors, the room began to spin OMG I felt like a teenager again!! Needless to say I then had an unhappy episode in the loo... I don't think I can cope with el vino so good any more!!! So the moral of the story for me is - just don't bother!! I can't believe how quickly I have lost the ability to manage even a little wine!! I have to say my waistline is improving, so there is a benefit. :embarassed:
  • DorGam
    DorGam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try Skinny Girls Cocktails. They are available in most major restaurant chains and some grocery stores. 100 calories! Worth a try!

http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com:drinker:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't treat weight lose as a prison sentence - everything in moderation

you will not get better advice than this !

i love a drink of wine and beer etc etc.......

i just curb it a little............. or just tray to keep it to Friday and Sat nights
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I'm with Lee. Moderation, not deprivation!
  • Funnybunnyboo
    Options
    mee to..little of wat you fancy does you good!!
    my friend and i often drink soda water and lime, is very refreshing!!:drinker:
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love wine! I am trying to switch from red to white and then add ice to the white. it is VERY hard and my major weakness... I would weigh 10 lbs less if I didn't drink, for sure.

My friend said Just Do It! But I am with you, it sucks and it sabotages weight loss. Good luck!
  • ksmccoy
    ksmccoy Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you! I've seen these at BevMo before but I haven't tried them.
  • dorcas4480
    Options
    well try 2oz of brandy or vodka and a half of can of any diet soda. i like diet grape and vodka and don't forget to add lots of ice. you will be looking at about 130 cal per drink
  • PoppyPea
    PoppyPea Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I second the lime and soda water suggestion - it really helps to have something to sip in the evenings, and this drink tastes nicely dry and...grown up, if that makes sense :)

P.S. Alcohol is my weakness also. No red wine for me tonight - feeling almost virtuous :)
  • Luv2Cook
    Luv2Cook Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried Miller Lite 64 last night and I didn't notice a difference from regular Miller Lite. For 64 calories per bottle, you can't beat it! :)
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    there are some great low calorie drink recipes online, you should just google it and experiment .. lots of them are nice cocktails with fresh berries etc .. nice for the summer weekends.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have a drink occassionally, planning carefully around the calories.

In my opinion, doing that (if you are a drinker) is actually PART of the lifestyle change you are making. You're not going to stop drinking for the rest of your life, so learning to budget it in is practice for when you are in maintenance. I mean in maintenance you'll be able to have a drink or two more often (you get more calories then and oh GOD do I look forward to it!) but you won't be able to have a drink every day (probably, unless you want to budget your life that way).

I think its important to make your diet a restricted version of what you plan to do forever. That means if forever includes booze teach yourself to imbibe in a safe way.
  • Tuna439
    Tuna439 Posts: 4
    Options
    I also tried this recently...thought it was ok! Good for only 64 calories!