New here, what are these abbreviations all about?

Options
Hey everyone! This is my second post ever! (first one was only like 5 minues ago when I created a topic about calories,lol)

I've never ever been a memeber of a site like this and I never set foot in a sports store or the fitness section of walmart, haha.

Since I've signed up I've seen so many people with a ton of abbreviations that just puzzle me. Is there an abbreviation guide anywhere?

Here are some I've seen....

P90X
NSV
C25K
30DS
HRM

there were some more, but if someone could tell me what these mean, and more about them that would be great :)
Also if you know of more that I might need to know include them too?

Thanks everyone!!!

P.S, I can't get over how active these boards are! so many replies to topics within minutes.

Replies

• EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't know all of them but 30DS is the 30 Day Shred which is a workout DVD by Jillian Michaels. HRM is a heart rate monitor.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • ciara_x
    ciara_x Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yeah they are lol :P sorry i would tell you if i knew! i only joined yesterday, and i'm gonna be waiting to see what they are too lol
  • pantoinette
    Options
    I only know a couple -

NSV - non-scale victory i.e. fitting into a pair of skinny jeans
    30DS - 30 Day Shred, it's a fitness DVD
    HRM - Heart Rate Monitor

I half helped you! lol
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    P90X is a workout/DVD and C25K is couch to 5K, a running program. Welcome!
  • Mrkroehl8488
    Options
    P90X is a super intense fitness system that is getting to be a pretty big deal I guess. HRM is a heart rate moniter. and the others answered the other ones.

Good luck!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    c25k is a website and app for your phone that is Couch 2 5k - it teaches you how get up off the couch and run your first 5k... I haven't done it, but I've been around here for more than 2 months now so I've seen the abbreviations.
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi Pilotboy !

P90X is a fitness program
    C25K is for couch to 5 Km it's a run program
    30DS is 30 days Shred another fitness program

NSV is non scale victory
    HRM is heart rate monitor

Welcome !
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    P90X - workout program (very intense)
    NSV - short for Non Scale Victory (like "Yeehaw, I fit into a smaller size")
    C25K - Couch to 5K (running program that is supposed to transform you from a couch potatoe to a runner)
    30DS - Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
    HRM - Heart Rate Monitor (only way to figure out how many cals you really burn while working out)
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    p90x - workout program
    30ds - 30 day shred (Dvd from Jillian Michaels)
    Hrm - Heart rate monitor
    NSV - Non scale victory
    c25K - running app/program.
  • DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    C25K is Couch to 5k, it's a running schedule to train for a 5k (usually beginners use this)
    CW is Current Weight
    SW is Starting Weight
    GW is Goal Weight

(I'm new too - just started using this site yesterday! Good thing I have kids that I txt with often - if not for that, I'd never been able to figure out the abreviations!!)

Hope these helped!:smile:
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    THANX BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE MARCH AND DIDNT KNOW BUT NEVER ASKED. I KNEW MOST OF THEM BUT NOT WHAT NSV WAS. THE POSTS ARE REALLY INFORMATIONAL. I JUST LOVE THIS SITE!!!!
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    P90X = Power 90 Extreme. It is an extreme workout video
    NSV = No Scale Victory, basically any success that doesn't include the scale
    C25K = Couch to 5K. This is a program designed to get anyone (a couch potato) to a 5K in 9 weeks
    30DS = 30 Day Shred. This is a Jillian Michaels work out video (which by the way, I LOVE!) Would recommend any video by her. I've tried 30DS, Ripped in 30 and just started 6 week 6 pack.
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor (Strongly suggest you get if you want an ACCURATE count of calories burned in an exercise rather than a guestimation (which is what MFP gives you)
    MFP = My Fitness Pal (figured I would throw that out since I just used it)
    BUMP = Bring Up in My Post. If you see a post that interests you and you want to see what other people have to say, or if it has recommendations ( a recipe, exercise, etc) that you want to use but don't have time to write down or read at the moment, hit reply and type BUMP. This will make it appear in "my topics" in the message board.

Hope this helps. Welcome and good luck!!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! This is my second post ever! (first one was only like 5 minues ago when I created a topic about calories,lol)

I've never ever been a memeber of a site like this and I never set foot in a sports store or the fitness section of walmart, haha.

Since I've signed up I've seen so many people with a ton of abbreviations that just puzzle me. Is there an abbreviation guide anywhere?

Here are some I've seen....

P90X
    NSV
    C25K
    30DS
    HRM

there were some more, but if someone could tell me what these mean, and more about them that would be great :)
    Also if you know of more that I might need to know include them too?

Thanks everyone!!!

P.S, I can't get over how active these boards are! so many replies to topics within minutes.

P90X- an intense workout you can get on dvd
    NSV- non scale victory- like making it up a hill you have been trying to conquer.
    C25K- couch two 5k --- i know this is also an app but i think it might be something on the web too. it helps teach you how to run
    30DS-- 30 day shred.... it is a jillian michaels dvd that is like circuit training. lasts for about 20 min and takes you through many excersises
    HRM---- Heart rate monitor. You can buy these anywhere pretty much, best ones are with a strap that goes around your chest. Keeps track of your heart rate and calories burned.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    you might also see a lot of posts complaining about TOM, and it means Time Of the Month for the ladies. Don't feel threatened if our name is actually Tom :D
  • pilotboy1985
    pilotboy1985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks so much everyone! Now some of these posts I've seen make a lot more sense :)

Again, thanks. :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    One more...since you are a male...stay away with any with TOM in the title of a post. It stands for Time Of Month....so unless you want a lot of girly hormonal talk...stay out, lol.