Fitbit question

Options
today is my first day with my fitbit. I'm a little confused because other than cleaning house and taking care of the baby the only exercise I have done so far today is walked 1 mile. Which when i tracked it said I had burned 80 calories. But yet on my fitbit app it says ive burned 1,102 calories today. Is that the amount of calories im suppose to add into my calorie intake? Because that would put me at eating around 2,200 calores? I'm so confused. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is showing what you've burned overall today, not what you burned from that specific activity. Set your activity level on MyFitnessPal to sedentary, link your Fitbit, and only eat back the extra calories it gives you.
  • morganpatterson8307
    Options
    Thank you
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    This is optional, but you can also enable "enable negative adjustments" in your settings. Unless it's enabled, MFP won't deduct calories for lower than normal daily activity.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FitBit assumes you are alive even when not exercising. If you have MFP linked it will show you an adjustment when you've earned above what MFP already assumed you'd earned. If you eat back every single calorie your body burns in a day on top of your MFP calorie goal you'll be gaining weight rapidly.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Fitbit and mfp account for your calories separately throughout the day and do an accounting reconciliation at the end of the day.

With integration enabled that reconciliation is done through Fitbit exercise calories.

mfp essentially takes fitbit's estimate of what you burned throughout the day and adjusts your totals based on that information.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think one thing that took me a little while to catch on to was that everytime I linked my fitbit to myfitness pal during the day it would give me kind of an inflated number of what it thought I was going to burn for that day, and it didn't give the me actual numeber until closer to the end of the day, so it would say that I had 3,800 calories I could eat that day, but in reality one all was said and done I had 3,400. So I would keep an eye out for that, and understand that fitbit also isn't 100% accurate so maybe only eat 50-75% of those extra calories.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the "fitbit burn" noted on Fitbit starts accumulating the moment midnight passes, so you'll have burned calories as soon as you wake up. You have, just by sleeping. Even on non-exercise days you'll likely burn about 2000 calories (depends on your weight and such) by the end of the day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    fitbit takes into account your BMR as well. so anything you burn is from calories you burn by being alive as well as any exercise calories(or activity you do). just eat the calories MFP gives you and 25-50% of the exercise calories(not the total amount for all day,just the calories you know you burned which you can look at your fitbit app and look at your activity on there(looks like a little person running). you can add up those totals and it will tell you how much you burned during exercise. also the first week or 2 of having a fitbit it will estimate either high or low,it has yo get used to your body so to speak. so give it time to adjust yourself.
  • motormouth79
    motormouth79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started using this app yesterday and love it. I linked my fitbit to it and it shows up on the app but doesn't actually track my steps. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what. Any ideas?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I started using this app yesterday and love it. I linked my fitbit to it and it shows up on the app but doesn't actually track my steps. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what. Any ideas?

They're having issues with it right now. You're likely not doing anything wrong.
  • motormouth79
    motormouth79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sweet!! Thanks! I'll wait
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also set fitbit and mfp to a time zone 3 hours ahead of me so that when I am ready to go to sleep at night they both think it is midnight. I find that seems to make my calorie accounting work better since it is not changing after I go to bed. Otherwise I would go to bed with maybe 50 calories left and when I woke up in the morning it had changed and now I was over my calorie count. I know really it is the same thing, but it messed with my head too much the other way.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My fitbit overestimetes my calories hugely. To work properly I've set my height to be 30cm shorter.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    My fitbit overestimetes my calories hugely. To work properly I've set my height to be 30cm shorter.

What type of fitbit do you have and do you use it just for steps or for actual exercise?
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

I think it's a really individual thing - I lost 30 pounds eating every calorie it gave me, and am now working on the next 20.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    I also set fitbit and mfp to a time zone 3 hours ahead of me so that when I am ready to go to sleep at night they both think it is midnight. I find that seems to make my calorie accounting work better since it is not changing after I go to bed. Otherwise I would go to bed with maybe 50 calories left and when I woke up in the morning it had changed and now I was over my calorie count. I know really it is the same thing, but it messed with my head too much the other way.

That is definitely one way of doing things and I've often thought of implementing it... except i have a variable bed-time :-)

Another way is to realise that the accounting reconciliation happens at the end of day.

Fitbit assigns BMR x 1 to any minute where it does not detect exercise.
    MFP assigns BMR x 1.25, x 1.4, x 1.6, x 1.8 depending on whether you're setup as sedentary, lightly active, active or very active.

So for every minute before midnight that you are inactive according to Fitbit you "lose" BMR x 0.25, x0.4, x0.6, or x0.8 calories from your adjustment.

In general:
    BMR / 1440 * T * F = adjustment in calories due to inactivity when you go to bed (or lie on the couch watching TV) before midnight.
    where: T = minutes to midnight; F = 0.25 or 0.4 or 0.6 or 0.8 as discussed above; BMR = MFP BMR http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I trust my fitbit and eat back the calories if I am moderately active to active. If I am VERY active I typically don't because I think at high activity levels it starts to overestimate. At least it gives me such a huge calorie amount that I don't feel comfortable eating it all back.

I've had my fitbit give my TDEE as 6500 calories in a day, even trying to lose a pound a week that would have had me eating 6000 calories which I really didn't feel like was accurate at all.

When its adding something like 250 to 1000 calories on top of my day I typically trust it though.