Running Watch

Options
I have been using the app mapmyrun and it is time I upgrade my run tracking. I've been running regularly for 3 years about 30 miles per week. I've run many 5, 10, and 15ks. I have a 10k terrain race coming up in October. What are the best running watches? I'm leaning towards a Garmin and dont want to spend over $250.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    At the moment I use a Forerunner 310XT, which has a good long battery life and I can use on my bike as well. I've recently bought an Edge 520 for the bike though.

I'm contemplating a Forerunner 630 although tempted by the 735XT for the swim capabilities.

Top end range is go Garmin, although Suunto can be good. Mid range Garmin, with low budget being Garmin or TomTom.

Look at DCRainmaker for reviews, and price range comparisons.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Fenix 3. It's been fantastic. I've heard you can find deals if you shop around, I don't know.

What do you want to get out of your watch? Hands free operation, or more advanced features?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm using a Fenix 3. It's been fantastic.

Interesting what the pricing is on those in the US? Over here they're at least £350 so significantlybeyond the target price point.

Very good devices though.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Polar M400 is an excellent running watch and a lot more affordable than Garmin and many others.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 225 which I love
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Fenix 3. It's been fantastic.

Interesting what the pricing is on those in the US? Over here they're at least £350 so significantlybeyond the target price point.

Very good devices though.

Amazon lists them for $499 to $650 with chest strap. Hardly what the OP was looking for with a $250 budget.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Garmin 2xx watches fit what you are indicating. Company has great products and unparalleled customer support. I have a 220. Highly recommend them.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar watches. Don't trust a Garmin to give you accurate fat burning or calorie burning as it's not made for that. Polar has it all rolled into one. I use my A360 for short runs and my M400 for long runs with the chest strap. The M450 is also awesome for my biking and hiking excursions.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 450 that's got to be 10 years old - it's been in heavy use by either me or my husband during that entire period of time. We broke the charger (but managed to rig it so that it still works), and it's still going strong. I'm really impressed with Garmin products, generally, and their service is great. I know a lot of people think the calorie estimate is way off - I can't speak to that, but the calorie count I get from my Garmin is almost identical to the calorie count I get from manually inputting a run into MFP, so I'm okay with it.

(I also bought a Forerunner 10 earlier this year - it's super cheap, absolute bottom of the line, no bells and whistles whatsoever, but man, I love that thing.)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 230 with chest strap HRM that I LOVE. There are fancier ones out there, but it works for me. My husband has a Polar, and he likes it alright, but he likes the data the Garmin app provides better.
  • anyaeyman
    anyaeyman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying to become a runner!

SUpport, advice, love and positivity:)
  • JJVegas80
    JJVegas80 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 230 with chest strap HRM that I LOVE. There are fancier ones out there, but it works for me. My husband has a Polar, and he likes it alright, but he likes the data the Garmin app provides better.

Thanks @BeeerRunner Polar watches are very affordable and I like the features and reviews. I have narrowed it down to Polar or Garmin. I would like to actually look at them and operate them in person before making a purchase.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 110 with chest strap HRM. Does everything I need, times my run, monitors my pace, keeps track of my distance, monitors my Heart Rate (when the strap is worn), and, through Garmin Connect, maps my run, graphs my pace, heart rate and elevation change, records Heart Rate Zones, records course segment times, keeps track of Personal Bests and keeps a log of all my recorded activity.

Really don't see the need for all the Bells and Whistles of the more expensive models. I'm not all that concerned about my heart rate during the day, I know when I'm asleep, my I-Phone keeps track of my steps. I use the Garmin on my runs, otherwise it says near its charger.

Refurbished, on Amazon <$60. With Heart Rate Chest Strap, about $100.00.

The newer 210 seems to be alright too.
  • JJVegas80
    JJVegas80 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. I found a refurbished Garmin 620 with a heart rate monitor for $180. It will be delivered today!! Looking forward to doing tempo runs. Hopefully the watch is not too complicated to set-up.
  • peterpreston
    peterpreston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just bought a tomtom multi sport cardio for £85 (about the $95 mark) and it has the huge advantage of being an integrated HR monitor so no need for a separate chest strap (or the cost of one). The downside currently is the lack of integration from the MFP side.

I don't run but it's proving very good for HR monitoring on my long dog walks and the accuracy of the GPS is at least as good as my iphone.
  • trinityalyce
    trinityalyce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Garmin Fenix 3. Yep it's expensive but oh so amazing!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Forerunner 10 is pretty basic - no heart rate monitor and only two measurements shown on the screen at a time. I show pace and distance as I run, but would love a third display for elapsed time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I just bought a tomtom multi sport cardio for £85 (about the $95 mark) and it has the huge advantage of being an integrated HR monitor so no need for a separate chest strap (or the cost of one). The downside currently is the lack of integration from the MFP side.

I don't run but it's proving very good for HR monitoring on my long dog walks and the accuracy of the GPS is at least as good as my iphone.

I have a Tomtom and I thought they synced with MFP? I have mine syncing with Strava and then sync Strava to MFP anyway (I was getting double accounting via Tomtom).

Mine has a separate chest strap (the multisport without cardio) and I like the fact that I can use it for swimming etc and hiking. I think the GPS recalibration is better through Strava however
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Garmin. They have a wide range of products depending on what specific features you want and you can often get great deals on discontinued models like the 210 or 220.

Personally I use a 910xt for its multi-sport features but it's not a watch per se.....