How many eggs in a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Good point Taneil.

Cholesterol consumption, especially that which is found in eggs, will have little to no effect on your blood cholesterol levels. However, I think it should be noted that SOME people are hyper-responders to dietary cholesterol. In other words, their total cholesterol levels are sensitive to dietary cholesterol intake. Just be sure you don't fall into that category before you start eating eggs regularly. Being slim and active with cholesterol levels in excess of 300 (like my GF"s best friend) would be a dead give-away of that type of condition.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat about a dozen a week, mostly hard boiled for breakfast.

My doctor and I talked about it, and she said that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels in most people. However, some people can absorb more of it than others putting them at higher risk for blood clots and blockages. It's genetic whether you absorb more or less of it. If you are really concerned, just go see your doctor and have a CBC panel done. It's an easy quick blood test and will put you at ease.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm....I eat 4-5 eggs a day.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think the only time you need to worry about the cholesterol in eggs is if you already have high cholesterol. They are very healthy for you, one a day is great.
    that's what I was told by my Dr. If you already have high cholesterol, you shouldn't eat more than 2 eggs/week....and then I read that it's not the case...ugh, so much contradicting nutritional information!
  • RPonder1
    RPonder1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have actually proven that the cholesterol in eggs has no bearing on your own cholesterol. Just a little tid bit =]
    And I am 13% body fat, 127 lbs and eat 5 eggs (whole) a day ;)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol.

Precisely!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs all the time, both regular and egg whites and I have a heart condition. My cholesterol and arteries are great as of today.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 eggs per day (when I'm home) and my cholesterol is perfect. Of course, I haven't had eggs in forever, but when I was home last summer for 3 months I ate probably 3 eggs per day and my numbers were fine. Oh, and I eat the yolk not just the whites :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,756 Member
    Options
    Today has turned out to be an 11-egg day for me (11 whites, three yolks).
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1-2eggs a day. So far so good.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options

TRUE.
    For the majority of the population, dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on actual measured blood lipid concentrations.
    A number of references and studies support this fact.
    Here is a link to a summary from Harvard.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    ^^^This^^^

totally agree!

I had no idea! Can anyone elaborate and explain it better for me?

Your body produces cholesterol on its own.

Facts on Cholesterol. You can find studies showing that high cholesterol levels will make you live longer and more immune to infections & diseases than low cholesterol levels. More facts:

Your Body Makes Cholesterol. Your liver makes 3-6x more cholesterol than you can get eating eggs and other animal products.
    Cholesterol is Vital To Your Body. You need it for the production of steroid hormones like Testosterone and to build & repair cells.
    Dietary Cholesterol Isn’t Bound to Blood Cholesterol. There’s no relation to cholesterol & saturated fat intake to higher cholesterol levels.
    http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-saturated-fat-how-many-eggs-daily/