Weight Fluctuation?

Options
Ok, this has probably been addressed elsewhere on the forum, but I'm new here so I'm going to open a new thread.

What is normal weight fluctuation? The past two weeks here has been the trend: Friday: 195.2, Saturday: 194.8, Sunday: 201 then this week Friday: 193.2, Saturday: 192.6, Sunday: 198. Usually it will go back down the next day some, but the rest of the week I won't see the numbers from Friday and Saturday until the next Friday or Saturday and will go below that original number. I'm trying to say that I have lost 2.2 lbs (Saturday - Saturday numbers) and ignore the Sunday numbers, but it seems a bit much for there to be a 6+ lb difference in 1 day and then fighting to get back down to that original number the rest of the week. Is this normal? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Back story: I am eating right, staying between 1200 - 1400 calories a day depending on the exercise I completed that day. I'm eating high protein, low sugar, but not eliminating carbs all together. It seems if I eat my calories all the way back, I have the biggest problem with the fluctuation. I know I have a metabolism issue, which is being corrected through thyroid medication and increased medication. Any thoughts? If it's normal, then I'll just ignore it as much as I can...it is just very frustrating.

Replies

• Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday. You can add and lose lbs daily that make no sense. Water retention due to salt intake, things you ate recently and other factors can influence daily weight. Don't weigh yourself more than say once a week.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself every day. It can be really demoralising- and I know because I've been there and am still fighting the temptation! It is completely normal for weight to fluctuate by so much. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come down. Also try to look for other positive changes besides weight loss. For example do you feel more energised?better skin? better sleep ?etc.
    Good luck!!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Looks like a simple offset to me - with a bias towards higher numbers on sundays which could indicate that you do something on saturdays which makes you retain water.

Do you eat, train or drink differently on saturdays (including a glass of wine or two with dinner or something)?

I too have this kind of fluctuations due to my fridays/saturdays being less strict on the diet and see a similar pattern. But the main point is, that you are actually loosing weight no matter what day you use as your "official" weigh in.

You've lost 2 pounds from friday to friday, 2.2 pounds from saturday to saturday and 3 pounds from sunday to sunday. So no matter which day you use, you've lost about the same weight.
  • cbelli
    cbelli Posts: 24
    Options
    mowu: I haven't thought about it that I way. I guess I do see the numbers difference being about the same each day. Thanks for that. I actually have been better on Friday and Saturday's than the rest of the rest of the week. I am logging everything in MFP (food wise anyway) but I typically only record Friday/Saturday weights cause they are the ones that look the best. I still track everything in a different tracker though.

I just can't figure out why Sunday is so different from the rest of the week. Why would it jump so much?