Men Success Stories - Please Share

Options
Good Morning, MFP Family!

A few years ago my partner and I decided to start our weight loss journey, unfortunately after several months we went back to our old habits. We know what we need to do, we just need to do it all again and stick to it. We're curious if any guys similar to our starting condition could share some success stories. We're both needing to lose 75 lbs to be at a healthier weight.

The last time we were successful up to about 40-45 lbs lost, so we were over half way to our new weight goal. We are about a week into our journey again. What really motivates us is seeing our own results; however, seeing the results of others in our similar situation help to. Thanks so much ahead of time!

Replies

• urban_traveller
    Options
    Same situation, same problems, no result yet :(
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm down 61lbs now, and have about another 15 to go, so sounds like a pretty similar spot. What has been key for me to succeed is not actually cutting anything out completely. I just eat less of the bad stuff, have controlled portions, and make everything fit my daily calorie goal. I have pizza once or twice a week, McDonald's a couple times a month, that kind of thing. But I also eat a lot more of the healthier foods I used to skip. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, and I walk or run a lot each day. CICO has been huge for me. I don't feel like I have given much up, and I love seeing the results. I feel one thing that makes it harder for a lot of people is giving things up completely - no fast food, no chocolate, no carbs, etc. I think the cold turkey approach is too much for some, and they give up. It's also not necessary, in my experience.
    Stick to it, if I can do it, anyone can, trust me. 7 months ago I was pretty much a sloth. Now I can't sit still. Being active is addictive, and makes it so much easier to consume less calories than you burn :)
  • GregStone2
    GregStone2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat high fiber single ingredient foods and moderate protein high fat work out with heavy 80 pound dumb bells almost every day do high fiver diet because I need more fiber both soleable and insoleable fiber helps to pass more stools with helps loose weight and fat and decrease the risk of obesity and heart disand hease and diabeties risk and prevents constipation also for pre and post workout meals
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »
    I'm down 61lbs now, and have about another 15 to go, so sounds like a pretty similar spot. What has been key for me to succeed is not actually cutting anything out completely. I just eat less of the bad stuff, have controlled portions, and make everything fit my daily calorie goal. I have pizza once or twice a week, McDonald's a couple times a month, that kind of thing. But I also eat a lot more of the healthier foods I used to skip. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week, and I walk or run a lot each day. CICO has been huge for me. I don't feel like I have given much up, and I love seeing the results. I feel one thing that makes it harder for a lot of people is giving things up completely - no fast food, no chocolate, no carbs, etc. I think the cold turkey approach is too much for some, and they give up. It's also not necessary, in my experience.
    Stick to it, if I can do it, anyone can, trust me. 7 months ago I was pretty much a sloth. Now I can't sit still. Being active is addictive, and makes it so much easier to consume less calories than you burn :)

January 1st 2016 my weight was 288. Currently I'm about 206. For me something snapped and it was probably one of the easiest things I've ever done. I totally agree with RickC74. What he's basically saying has mirrored my process the past 9 months. The only thing I'll throw in is beers on the beach. A lot of them.

It's basically a mental game. Once you get into the right mindset it's a piece of cake good luck on your journey

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just posting because I too love seeing guys break free of their habits; their fat-suit. I'm about 20lbs down from my heaviest - but at this point I cannot see losing anything else. Biology should tell me I have no choice but to lose - but the thought of reaching the 40lbs-lost mark? Geesh. I can't see it.
  • daleis49
    daleis49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Down to 160 from 348 in 20 months. You can do this!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You just need to commit to a change in eating habits and make it your lifestyle. I went to Applebees this weekend and thought I was making an okay choice but decided to check, every stinking thing on the menu was over 1000 calories and that was before I added chips and beer. I gained 5 pounds in two days. After running six miles each day this week I have lost 4 pounds. I think this shows the connection of good and bad habits & weight gain/loss.

Edit: I lost fifty pounds by changing habits
  • mababauta
    mababauta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find what works for you. At my largest I was 279lbs. I tried a few different things but nothing seemed to stick. Then I started eating Paleo and it worked for me. I mixed in body weight exercises with kettlebell work and as of this morning I'm down to 227lbs. The majority of the weight loss occurred in the last few months when I've gone Paleo.

Will Paleo work for you? I don't know. Maybe CICO will. Again, find what works for you. Once you find what works for you, stick with it. You can do this.
  • emoslayer84
    emoslayer84 Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rickc74 wrote: »

Congrats on the progress. The last time we did it, we followed the CICO process. I think we really plateaued at about the 45 lbs lost mark. We went several more weeks, but nothing was working. We changed our exercise routine. Since then, I've been doing some research and spoke with my doctor that suggested to do the CICO again until we plateau, then to try focus on eliminating certain foods and pay closer attention to other nutrient intake like sodium, carbs, calories from fat, sugar, etc. I'll definitely try that at that point as we don't want to give up only because we plateaued.
  • kraigiark
    kraigiark Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started at 206lbs and got down to 155lbs! Took me about 6 solid months of insanity and some really picky eating. Honestly, I think the hardest part is staying on track with eating - but I was really hard on myself. I did that whole "I'm gonna start tomorrow" or "this last quesadilla won't hurt me" but I said that allllll the time. So I finally said "no more" and I tracked everything I ate to the t. Food scale and all. That's what it took for me to get serious. I had to ignore that self-destructive voice in my head telling me it was fine---because it wasn't.

Anyways, i don't know how similar this is to your journey, but at least know it's possible to achieve your fitness goals. I know it's daunting and it's hard af - don't let people tell you it isn't - but also know that's it's soooo worth it.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!