Help--Weight Watchers vs MFP

Options
For the past couple months I've been logging my food into Weight Watchers. Unfortunately I have issues staying consistent with it as the Smart Points system is pretty strict--if I want to have a drink or two in the evening, it costs around 7-8 points which is almost a third of my daily points! Meaning I'm starving if I want to stay within limit, and I end up feeling like I "failed" for the day.

Since I just started using MFP, I've noticed I'm able to eat more and feel a lot better...It feels much more manageable...However, today for example, even though MFP says I've eaten within my calorie limit and will lose about 6 pounds in 5 weeks if I stay consistent (yay), my Weight Watchers app shows I've gone way over on points. It's disconcerting.

Am I still going to lose weight as long as I am within my macros and calorie limit? I've gotten into such a rigid mindset with the "bad" and "good" mentality of Weight Watchers points, I feel unsure. Should I just stick with MFP if that's what I feel best with?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It sounds like that Smart Points system doesn't work well for you...so I would say go with MFP and call it a day.

~Lyssa
  • akilia112010
    akilia112010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You should always go with what you feel best. I've always experienced that "failing" feeling leading to binge eating or whatever just to turn around and feel even more disappointed than before. Honestly MFP helps me a lot more in sense that I'm not restricted to using a point system. You should still lose weight regardless if you're still in your calorie limit though.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Wow, 7-8 points?? That's insane! I used to do points plus and a 5 oz glass of wine was 3 points (which was a higher points assignment than other food with the same calories). I think with the smart points system they're trying to combine CICO with balanced macros, but in my opinion I would rather be in charge of my own macros and be able to compare foods based on my own preferences. MFP works better for me.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing you did, double logged on both apps. What did it for me was seeing how few calories I was eating while meeting my points goal. It didn't help that the points number seemed so small that it was stressing me out by lunchtime.

One word of advice: if you do make the switch, give your body a few weeks to adjust. I didn't lose for almost 3 weeks but once my body adjusted to more food the scale started moving again.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The new WW program doesn't work at all for me. WAYYYYY too strict. Give MFP a chance - it really works when done as intended.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I did WW for two years and had great success on it, but that was back in the early 2000s. Like a previous poster said - I could have a drink for 3 points or something like that. <b> It's sounds almost like they are penalizing you for making certain food & drink choices. </b> Not cool... just give me the facts (the actual cals and macros) and I will do the judging myself, thanks! :wink:
    I just re-joined MFP today but when I did it last time, found it way less stressful and way more manageable than the "new" WW programs.

Exactly!
  • blhomgren
    blhomgren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's why I've hoarded my points slider and books from the flex points days...so much better than the newer programs!
  • ammie805
    ammie805 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lost 45 lbs back in 2011 using WW PP and exercising, then they tweaked program, said fruits were free (I was eating lbs of grapes at a time
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I tried the new program last year and found it to be horrible. Seriously, there is something wrong with the numbers. At the time, it was less points to eat Chick-Fil-A fries than to eat their Superfood Salad. I felt horrible all the time and was eating clean, unprocessed foods. Just not enough of them. I was sitting at my sewing machine one day and realized I couldn't even remember how to thread it. I am a seamstress and design school graduate!

The next day I start to count points and calories in MFP. In order to stay in my points range, my calories were 980 for the day!!! I immediately canceled my membership.

And an aside, my mom hit lifetime with WW a few years ago. She goes back to meetings every once and a while. The leaders were actually telling people to use their old calculating tools if they had them. One leader who had been with them for over 15 years actually quit because of the new system.
  • Kelsey87Mae
    Kelsey87Mae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I felt the same when I tried weight watchers. I feel myfitnesspal gives you more room to make choices. It would seem that generally, if you make better choices food wise, it shouldn't cause problems with weight loss.

On the flip side, if you just eat all junk based foods for your calories, it may not help.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers was very cut and dry. No options or flexibility. I believe I read somewhere that "Diets are what 50s housewives did to lose 5 pounds after the holidays." We ain't 50s housewives and most of us have a lot more than 5 pounds, and it's long term weight. Diets are for weight you've had short term. Lifestyle changes are for weight you've had for longer. MFP is sustainable and gives you much more flexibility.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did WW in the past with success, just when I was thinking about going back I found MFP and I have to say I like it a lot better. I feel like WW is too focused on low-fat. With MFP I have been eating a little over the recommended daily allowance for fat and I am losing weight steadily without feeling like I'm starving all the time.

I agree that zero points for fruit is ridiculous. With MFP I find myself rarely eating fruit because I'm watching my sugar for medical reasons. I take a medication that can cause diabetes, I'm not low-carbing but just watching sugar overall. When you are calorie counting you really see how fast the sugar calories in fruit can add up!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes stay in calories and you will lose weight, that's all the point system is trying to do.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The MFP projection is COMPLETELY WRONG. Ignore it. I'm way past 5 week projections that would have me at 155 at least by now and I'm still at 165. Scale hasn't budged.