Lose fat and gain muscle

Options
New to this and need new friends to help this happen, I would appreciate any advice or help and join people who are looking for the same thing, together we can do it.

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's plenty of advice- what are you looking for tips on?
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I've been on here for about 6 months. There are lots of people willing to help, encourage and give advise. Feel free to add me if you would like to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Recomp?
  • optiman38
    optiman38 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    recomp what's that ?
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what Dano74 said. What are you trying to do?
  • optiman38
    Options
    well i'm trying to lose body fat plus and gain muscle i'm doing 40 protein 30 carbs 30 fats but only first day on it but looking for supps that can help as well if needed. and looking to get down or below 15% body fat.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try the amino acid carnitine it's a fat burning amino. I use to use it when I was trying to make weight when is was powerlifting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    Try the amino acid carnitine it's a fat burning amino. I use to use it when I was trying to make weight when is was powerlifting.

You don't need that.

Eat at a slight deficit. Lift heavy. Rinse. Repeat. Profit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    optiman38 wrote: »
    recomp what's that ?
    Shorthand for recomposition.
    Eating at (or around) maintenance calories and training to simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle.
    You don't need dubious supplements, train hard, eat normal food. Doesn't have to be any more complex than that.

Have a read of this thread....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• optiman38
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    optiman38 wrote: »
    well i'm trying to lose body fat plus and gain muscle i'm doing 40 protein 30 carbs 30 fats but only first day on it but looking for supps that can help as well if needed. and looking to get down or below 15% body fat.

Not really much needed in the way of supplements (if any). A good multi-vitamin won't hurt, some whey protein (if you're having trouble hitting your protein goal) can be helpful as well as creatine.

Best of luck.
  • optiman38
    Options
    New to this and need new friends to help this happen, I would appreciate any advice or help and join people who are looking for the same thing, together we can do it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can lose fat and then gain muscle or you can gain muscle and then lose fat. But you aren't going to be able to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, won't happen and even if possible for you it is pretty inefficient to try to do it that way. Fat loss happens with caloric deficit, muscle gain is going to happen with caloric surplus. If you are at maintenance (ie eating as much as you are burning) then you might be able to make small muscle gains while losing some fat (called a recomp) but honestly its easier to add muscle in caloric excess and then later lose fat in caloric deficit or vise versa.

If you are considerably overweight probably best to just focus on losing fat first while lifting and eating enough protein to retain your muscle, then after you get to lower bodyfat you can start eating more and lifting to gain muscle after. If you are not considerably overweight perhaps just eat above your maintenance and lift for muscle gains and then later you can cut fat in deficit to help that muscle show.
  • RossDecker
    RossDecker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I believe that with proper protein amounts you can fan muscle mass without adding calories
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    You can lose fat and then gain muscle or you can gain muscle and then lose fat. But you aren't going to be able to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, won't happen and even if possible for you it is pretty inefficient to try to do it that way. Fat loss happens with caloric deficit, muscle gain is going to happen with caloric surplus. If you are at maintenance (ie eating as much as you are burning) then you might be able to make small muscle gains while losing some fat (called a recomp) but honestly its easier to add muscle in caloric excess and then later lose fat in caloric deficit or vise versa.

If you are considerably overweight probably best to just focus on losing fat first while lifting and eating enough protein to retain your muscle, then after you get to lower bodyfat you can start eating more and lifting to gain muscle after. If you are not considerably overweight perhaps just eat above your maintenance and lift for muscle gains and then later you can cut fat in deficit to help that muscle show.

This. Definitely this. But I'll tell you, it's quite difficult to exercise on a calorie deficit. I lost weight with diet (100%). Now I'm building muscle on maintenance calories - a slight surplus occasionally - so I don't gain too much fat. You can do lean gains but it's difficult to do while simultaneously losing weight. That said, you can always tone and firm what you have.
  • optiman38
    Options
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

In the long term that's true, but in the beginning you actually have the ability to do both. For roughly 6 months keep your protein intake at roughly 1g per 1lb of body weight or more and aim for around 2,000 calories a day. Keep your fat intake over 30grams a day. Find a good PPL program, or run 5x5 Stronglifts with the dip, and pullup accessories.
  • optiman38
    Options
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey OP have you considered the bodybuilding.com misc forum?
  • optiman38
    Options
    no but will have a look and thanks, yeah need to put a bit of muscle on cheers mate. need like a beginners course in bodybuilding. do you know any ? mr josh