Hated Junk food for most of my life now crave it?

Options
So a little background, I've suffered from a chronic illness in my intestinal tract, chronic pain syndrome and hypersomnia for the last 10 years or so.
I recently was so sick I could barely eat anything and lost 35lbs in about 6 months, I was feeling conflicted about the way I lost it, and now I've gained back 10lbs over the last 9 months.
I've been feeling better, no longer nauseated all day but these days I crave junk food which I never even liked before.
Usually I'm a very healthy eater, well rounded vegetarian, make sure I get my protein, love and adore vegetables. I still like all these things, and there's nothing I like more then vegetable soups.
But now I find myself picking up french fries, chips, totinos pizza rolls?!!? flaming hot cheetos, and cheesecake (and I despised sweets, still only like sweets that are tempered with savory/sour/bitter flavors but still really weird.) at the grocery store and eating them.
No I'm not pregnant, I haven't done that particular act in several years. (Been too sick for a boyfriend/girlfriend)

Any ideas why I would have such a drastic change in taste?

(I'm 29 so no big hormonal milestones around me either)

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Might you have missed some nutrients while you were ill?
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you're craving junk foods, then it's actually the cells in your body craving something different. Your brain is just making you think you want the junk. And then if you eat junk, I bet you get hungry real quick later and crave even more. Once you choose certain things that are nutrient dense, you'll find you won't crave those things as much.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    The other posters are right. There are some articles and infographics that may tell you what you're missing, but mainly try to eat more protein and healthy fats to curb your cravings.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. The brain can so weird things.

You describe veggies and soups and say you are vegetarian. The foods you crave are high in fat and carbs. I know when I'm sick my body craves carbs to get energy to fight the illness or restore my health. And are getting enough healthy fat?

Or sometimes our brain is trying to sabotage us. The reason why could be interesting. Maybe it really dislikes the concept of restrictions?

Good luck figuring it out!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fats and oils?
  • AriaDragonfly
    AriaDragonfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah I may not be getting enough fat, I cut out most dairy because I'm allergic to casein (though I still eat cheese on occasion) I do avocado/olive oil in some stuff but not everything. I'll have to track my fat intake and see if that's the issue. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!