Macros - Protein Issue

Options
2»

Replies

• RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am fine. I feel great at 28grams and start to feel like crap when I have days that I go over. I eat around 1200, and I'm still cutting. My TDEE is around 1400-1500. 25% was an estimate.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to calculate by grams per pound of body weight as recommended above. Going by 40/40/20 would be much more protein than I need to eat, I would prefer to put that towards more carbs or fats, rather than protein over kill.
    Plus when you go by body weight, protein stays fairly constant whether you are eating at maintenance, or doing a bulk, or a cut. To me that makes more sense than dropping protein because your calories drop.
    (Ex. I was maintaining at 2300 cal, 150 protein, which is .8g/lb. I am 5'1'' and have a lot of extra body fat, so this is a great plenty for me.. When I switched to cutting at 1800 cals, my protein is still 150 grams.
    If I used 40/40/20, I would have been eating 230 grams of protein, and then 180 for my cut. Way more than I need.)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're not really killing yourself on fats. There's a couple days where you're a few grams over- and those are easy to spot- lasagna and chowder- which isn't a big deal if you make them fit but you're not doing too bad.

As for protein, you're just not eating a lot of protein dense foods- you're eating carbs with smatterings of protein. That's an easy enough fix with either supplementation if you don't feel like loading up on meat all day... but I'm like a broken record here-- egg whites do wonders if you can get past the fact you're drinking pasteurized egg whites (flavorless- it's really not bad). 1 cup is 26 grams.

@RebeccaNaegle has some god protein recommendations.
  • nowhere123
    nowhere123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    That's an easy enough fix with either supplementation if you don't feel like loading up on meat all day... but I'm like a broken record here-- egg whites do wonders if you can get past the fact you're drinking pasteurized egg whites (flavorless- it's really not bad). 1 cup is 26 grams.

I can easily eat more meat every day. I had myself convinced to avoid it (total nutrition newbie here...). Lean beef, tuna, chicken etc.

This pasteurised egg whites you refer to, how do you make that?

Thanks to all who replied.
  • nowhere123
    Options
    dariusshaw wrote: »
    Paddyryan or anyone how do you share your food dairy via mobile

Settings / Sharing & Privacy / Dairy Sharing / Public
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is your height and weight?

6 foot 1.
    210 pounds.

Honestly, you can eat up to 1g/lb of your lean mass or more if you're trying to build muscle. You don't HAVE to, but I find it helps, and I try to stick to around 1g/lb of my goal weight which was 195. I'm actually almost 10 lbs below that goal weight now, so my protein intake ranges from 170-200g per day sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. Any excess isn't stored as fat if you're working out and staying at your maintenance calorie goals or at your diet goal calories. But in answer to your original question, I found it much easier to hit my protein goals by starting the day with a protein shake. I was also severely deficient in fiber most days so I hacked my breakfast to generally include bran cereal and a 60g protein shake (that's 2 scoops of whey isolate chocolate or vanilla). A friend here on MFP suggested a shake in the mornings to kick start my protein intake and it helped me a bunch reach my goals. As far as the fat, you should have no problems going over your goal as long as you stay within your calorie goal. A healthy amount of fat is also required to build muscle and maintain a good hormone level.

Try popping over to iifym.com and use their calculator, it'll default to .7g/lb or .8g/lb but you can adjust it to 1g/lb if you want. Technically the 'bro science' we all read about says 1g/lb of lean body mass. So if I weigh 185 and am at 11% body fat, my lean body mass is around 165lbs, so at 1g/lb of lean body mass all I really need would be 165g of protein a day. With my morning shake and all the meat I tend to eat I have no issues hitting that goal. I'm 6'2" 182lbs at the moment. I've been able to build significant muscle over the last six months by keeping my protein and fat levels up, even though I'm not in a surplus most days. I'm also trying not to be in a deficit either, so there's that.

You'll get 100 different opinions on how much protein to eat, and honestly after reading dozens of articles I can't really say who's right. I settled on 1g/lb of lean body mass just to stop second guessing it.

My current macros are Protein at 36% Fat 32% and Carbs at 32%. It seems to maintain my weight and allow me to progress (albeit slowly.. again, I'm not in surplus) on my strength training.
  • nowhere123
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is your height and weight?

6 foot 1.
    210 pounds.

Honestly, you can eat up to 1g/lb of your lean mass or more if you're trying to build muscle. You don't HAVE to, but I find it helps, and I try to stick to around 1g/lb of my goal weight which was 195. I'm actually almost 10 lbs below that goal weight now, so my protein intake ranges from 170-200g per day sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. Any excess isn't stored as fat if you're working out and staying at your maintenance calorie goals or at your diet goal calories. But in answer to your original question, I found it much easier to hit my protein goals by starting the day with a protein shake. I was also severely deficient in fiber most days so I hacked my breakfast to generally include bran cereal and a 60g protein shake (that's 2 scoops of whey isolate chocolate or vanilla). A friend here on MFP suggested a shake in the mornings to kick start my protein intake and it helped me a bunch reach my goals. As far as the fat, you should have no problems going over your goal as long as you stay within your calorie goal. A healthy amount of fat is also required to build muscle and maintain a good hormone level.

Try popping over to iifym.com and use their calculator, it'll default to .7g/lb or .8g/lb but you can adjust it to 1g/lb if you want. Technically the 'bro science' we all read about says 1g/lb of lean body mass. So if I weigh 185 and am at 11% body fat, my lean body mass is around 165lbs, so at 1g/lb of lean body mass all I really need would be 165g of protein a day. With my morning shake and all the meat I tend to eat I have no issues hitting that goal. I'm 6'2" 182lbs at the moment. I've been able to build significant muscle over the last six months by keeping my protein and fat levels up, even though I'm not in a surplus most days. I'm also trying not to be in a deficit either, so there's that.

You'll get 100 different opinions on how much protein to eat, and honestly after reading dozens of articles I can't really say who's right. I settled on 1g/lb of lean body mass just to stop second guessing it.

My current macros are Protein at 36% Fat 32% and Carbs at 32%. It seems to maintain my weight and allow me to progress (albeit slowly.. again, I'm not in surplus) on my strength training.

Thanks.

Any good recipe suggestions for a protein shake before i turn to goole?
    Oh and my body fat % is 30 at the moment and i weigh 210. I'd like to get to 182 pounds and 10-15% body fat.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Any good recipe suggestions for a protein shake before i turn to goole?
    Oh and my body fat % is 30 at the moment and i weigh 210. I'd like to get to 182 pounds and 10-15% body fat.

Agreed, my goal was always around 180 to 185 with 10% body fat. I'm not there yet, close some days, but it's been rough getting there. As far as the shake I use straight up whey isolate protein chocolate or vanilla in water. 2 scoops of the stuff I buy is 60g protein. The brand I use (just because it's readily available where I live and cheap) is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate. Wal-Mart carries it.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    That's an easy enough fix with either supplementation if you don't feel like loading up on meat all day... but I'm like a broken record here-- egg whites do wonders if you can get past the fact you're drinking pasteurized egg whites (flavorless- it's really not bad). 1 cup is 26 grams.

I can easily eat more meat every day. I had myself convinced to avoid it (total nutrition newbie here...). Lean beef, tuna, chicken etc.

This pasteurised egg whites you refer to, how do you make that?

Thanks to all who replied.

You don't make them. They're the egg whites in the cartons in the egg section of the grocery store. Crazy convenient.
  • dariusshaw
    dariusshaw Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Would someone look at my diary I opened the sharing thing want to know if I'm doing okay I know some of the portions are small but eating baked chicken and brown rice in a few hours hope that raise it up
  • Smackyabum
    Smackyabum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because I have PCOS my doctor has put me on a 50% protein, 25% carb, and 25% fat diet. I eat 6 times a day. Here's what my food breakdown looks like for today I hope this helps. I have consumed 50% protein, 22% carbs and 29% fat. So pretty darn close. I had 3/4 cup of Special K with protein cereal with 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon of protein powder for breakfast. 6 oz of deli honey turkey for the morning snack. 2 oz of tuna and 1 cup of no sugar added canned peaches for lunch. 2 oz of deli top angus roast beef and a protein bar for afternoon snack. I had 14 almonds, 1 oz of broccoli and a 6.85 oz top sirloin steak for dinner. I will eat another 6 oz of the honey turkey for my final snack to put me up to the 50% protein level. I know a lot of people stay away from deli meat because of the sodium but idc about that really I'm more concerned with hitting my protein goal every day. Oh and it's only 1,369 calories for the day. I have an even higher protein goal than you do so I hope this helps. If I can do it you can do it. :)
  • phaileypetty
    phaileypetty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my first meeting with my dietician, and she set me on 40% fat, 30% protein, and 30% carbs with max 30 grams of sugar per day. I'm normally very satiated with that percentage, and have had very few low blood sugar moments. I'm also sleeping better than I have in quite some time.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I personally keep my macros set at 65%fat..25%protein..10%carbs
    But that's just what works best for me.
    I eat lots of chicken, beef, (whole eggs), veggies, leafy greens and avocados. No dairy, and no supplements of any kind. And some red wine with the wife lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently 170#. I'ved used 40/40/20 (p/c/f) to lose weight/fat and maintain/increase LBM/muscle on 2 different occasions at about 2k gross cals/day. The 2nd is still in progress.

I use soy/whey protein powder and drinks plus chicken and turkey breast and eggs to up the protein as necessary. Otherwise, I eat pretty normally.

Can stay w/in tge 40/40/20 ratio if I use MFP for meal "planning" but can easily fall down to around 33/33/33 or 40/30/30 if I'm not paying attention.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am fine. I feel great at 28grams and start to feel like crap when I have days that I go over. I eat around 1200, and I'm still cutting. My TDEE is around 1400-1500. 25% was an estimate.

You feel like crap when you go over 28g of fat? That seems odd how do you actually feel when you fat goes above 28g and what if you didn't log would you still feel like crap? I'm wondering if this is a placebo for you. Do you feel that fat is bad for you?