Birthday Cake

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
My daughter's 4th bday is this week, and I want to make her one of those super cute doll cakes. Well... how do I do this without loading it up with crap? We're eating better, and really wanting to stay away from high-fructose corn syrup and other controversial ingredients. Looks like I'll be making my own frosting, but I don't know good recipes for decorating style frosting.

I'd like the cake to be as healthy (if a cake can be) as possible while still impressing our guests. Tips please.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat flour doesn't really work for pastries, but King Arthur all-purpose flour is an excellent choice. Organic sugar is good too.

One of my aunts makes frosting using Greek yogurt. I'm not sure exactly what she does, but it's delicious, and she has made different flavors including orange and butterscotch. Try Googling that.
  • danieljallen86
    danieljallen86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a great alternative to sugar.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Those are soooo fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwqaF8f3VW0

why dont you make your daughter a smaller version of a doll cake and then just make strawberries and whipped cream for everyone else
    that way your daughter will feel extra special? OR you could do the doll cake and then make a decent amount of mini cupcakes which will instantly cut calories out!
    also go to an organic grocery store and take a look around-you might find something great!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can work it with the doll idea - but I like to carve out a sugar free angel food cake, fill it with softened skinny cow ice cream and then "ice" it with sugar free cool whip. (maybe you could put the doll in the center and make the cake a poofy skirt?)

It's really yummy and a lot better for you.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    you should add me, i would looove to see the end result!!!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    google and search sites....there are great resources online.

Cooking Light mag has great versions....and there are lots of alternatives....you can cut down sugar and mix in some stevia (Truvia I find has a good taste, not artificial but made from stevia)....

and for baking I usually mix whole wheat flour with regular....

check Chobani.com for a greek yogurt frosting recipe, I know they have a cupcake recipe there.....

I would do a test run, because some recipes are not good and some take some practice...
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    My sister in law just made a very yummy chocolate cake with diet cherry coke instead of eggs and oil -- or our other stand-by cake yellow cake mix and a can of pineapple, juice and all. No eggs, oil or other junk the recipe calls for.

YUM.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    There are sugar free cake mixes and sugar free frosting.

Here is what I would do:
    - 1 box yellow or chocolate sugar free cake mix
    - 1 can diet pop (use this in replace of the oil, egg and water when baking)
    - Top with sugar free frosting, a 7 minute frosting recipe or lite cool whip flavored with jello or pudding packets or colored with food coloring
    - Top with fruit or candy that is easily removable so you can eat healthier
  • Rilke
    Options

Here is what I would do:
    - Top with sugar free frosting, a 7 minute frosting recipe or lite cool whip flavored with jello or pudding packets or colored with food coloring

Aspartame Cake?
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    this is a british victoria sponge made with less sugar and less eggs and right type of fat for the heart.You need 250 grams flour, 125 grams of sugar,2eggs,and 4 tablespoons of skimmed milk,125 grams of flora or sunfower or olive oil spread.First cream spread with sugar and beat till fluffy and pale in colour.Next add eggs one at a time with a teaspoon of the flour [self raising sieved flour lol] making sure you beat them in hard and fast to create air in the mix.Then do the same with the milk.Lastly fold in all the remaining flour well taking care to do this gently so as not to loose the air created.Place in two sandwich tins and gently level off.In the oven middle shelf gas mark 4 for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. turn out onto wire rack to cool and sand wich with reduced sugar jam decorate with butter frosting made with flora skimmed milk and sugar.sorry not sure if this helps you make a dolls cake lol
  • AndyBee
    Options
    Yum! Greek yogurt frosting! That sounds amazing!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess I should have specified, we are staying away from controversial ingrediants as much as possible such as high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sugars. I'm not knocking you're choice to use these things, it's just our own personal preferance to stay away from them. Actually, I have made a box cake with diet soda before and I couldn't tell the difference.

I'm off to search for the greek yogurt frosting. Mmmm my mouth is already drooling.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Here is what I would do:

Aspartame Cake?

lol... No, I believe it is sweetened with splenda
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is a great link that another member posted earlier! There are lots of different low-fat cake, cookie, and cupcake recipes! Good luck and be proud that you are putting your family's health first!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
  • Rilke
    Options

Here is what I would do:

Aspartame Cake?

Same difference ;P
  • Rilke
    Options
    PS to OP -- good luck! Let me/us know how the Greek Yogurt frosting turns out :)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Here is what I would do:

FYI....Splenda is an artificial sweetener and diet sodas have a lot more crap in them than just artificial sweeteners.....

Aspartame Cake?

• AndyBee
    Options
    I ended up not doing the greek yogurt icing. I didn't seem like it would be stiff enough to decorate the doll, and I didn't want her to have a "wardrobe malfunction" so instead I altered the cake itself. The recipe called for 6 cups of flour, so I used 4 cups flour and 2 cups protein powder. I also subbed apple sauce for butter. Turned out pretty yummy. Nobody knew I had altered it. The icing was still pretty sugar loaded, but I used a small amount, just enough to decorate. All in all I'm pretty pleased.

I can't wait to make some cupcakes with the yogurt icing though. I bet that is going to be delish!