Gillian McKeith

Options
I have seen so many people following Tony (p90x) and Jillian Michaels. I was curious if anyone is following Gillian McKeith from "you are what you eat?" Any testimonials, likes, dislikes?

Replies

• maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i used to watch her shows and loved them! but i did some research online and she is not even a doctor and there were some other speculations about her education. i think she is on the right track but would be too extreme for me. i hated the segment where she would analyze someone's bm...it was soooo gross to watch! she did get results but i would love to see what the people are like now.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I watch her sometimes, but honestly to me she looks kindof unhealthy, and she looks way older than she actually is.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I really enjoyed "You are What You Eat"
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    maroon58- if you look at her website she does have a Doctorate of Holistic Nutrition

Thanks guys. I wanted opinions and I appreciate it.
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    Lilac- the book or the show?
    I think I should have been more specific and asked if anyone has read or followed one of her books. I enjoyed her show. She has that no nonsense attitude that I like. She takes no excuses. I also like that in the show, she showed people what vitamins they were lacking and how to get those nutrients.
  • class588
    class588 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually love her book slim for life. She can be extreme. Her online assessment was actually very informative. I don't know is she works with nutritionists to help her. Some of her receipes are great, while others are bland. I did lose a lot of inches while going through the receipes in the slim for life book. My favorite receipes are her split pea soup and aduzki bean casserole.
  • kd100
    kd100 Posts: 21
    Options
    she's an *kitten*
  • Geniverse
    Options
    I think a lot of what she says about healthy eating and nutrition can be found easily. What is supposed to make her 'better' than everyone else is where the controversy lie. This blog is probably the most helpful things you could read: http://www.badscience.net/2004/08/gillian-mckeith-round-2/
    http://www.badscience.net/2005/04/bad-science/
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love her. I feel way better on her diet than off. I'm trying to be more strict now than ever have been in the past as I would like to lose weight. A lot of her stuff is based on what is being put in commercially prepared foods (GMOs, chemicals etc.). They are trying to increase profit margins at our expense and all she’s really saying is make your own food so you can have some say over what is in it. It doesn’t cost more. If you want the weight loss you have to be way more strict but you can get a lot healthier just by knowing what you are eating and eliminating foods you are sensitive to and foods that are not food (petroleum by-product is not food nor are hydrogenated oil or liquid glucose).

I have three of her books and I use the recipes all the time. It is bland (British taste) but I just throw in some herbs and pepper and it’s all good. She brings in different foods like beans (lots of different kinds) and sea vegetables and I think the diversity is really good and very helpful-I wouldn’t have done that on my own. I loved “Dr Gillian McKeith’s Ultimate Health Plan”. It really gave me a “taste” of what her program is like. 3 days and your tummy feels different. The only caveat is that you should have a really good juicer. You can get around juicing but it’s much easier with. You’ll be juicing things like beets and Kale. A really good juicer.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    maroon58- if you look at her website she does have a Doctorate of Holistic Nutrition
    Not so much: http://www.badscience.net/2007/02/ms-gillian-mckeith-banned-from-calling-herself-a-doctor/

The thing that I remember getting really irritated about was when on one of her shows I remember seeing her revisiting someone who'd made massive changes to his diet and was now eating and living very healthily. She went through his freezer, found a small tub of ice-cream which he explained he ate a portion of every couple of weeks as a treat, and basically told him he should never eat anything like that. I just don't find that realistic, or helpful.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I dont think shes a credible role model or advice giver.

She's infamous for examining poo - but medical opinion says there's nothing valuable to be gained from that.

She hectors and scolds - when better results come from encouraging and empathising

And (UK at least) the supermarkets have shelves dedicated to her products, which makes may wary about the profit-before-health angle.

I'd take her with a very large pinch of salt.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Not so much: http://www.badscience.net/2007/02/ms-gillian-mckeith-banned-from-calling-herself-a-doctor/

The thing that I remember getting really irritated about was when on one of her shows I remember seeing her revisiting someone who'd made massive changes to his diet and was now eating and living very healthily. She went through his freezer, found a small tub of ice-cream which he explained he ate a portion of every couple of weeks as a treat, and basically told him he should never eat anything like that. I just don't find that realistic, or helpful.

Yeah, I saw that episode. Her changes, at least many of those she suggests on the show, are pretty unrealistic for a normal lifestyle.