Any Atkin Dieter's ? Penpal Needed

Options
Need a penpal for anyone doing the Atkins Diet.

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Please be very careful on this diet.

My mother did it. While she lost weight, her doctors were not happy with how it affected her health. My mother has no major healthy problem pre-diet.
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Why not try eating like a human consuming a balanced diet. Your body will not enjoy being tricked.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I agree with Aimssc. I know that's not what you asked for but I just wanted to echo her sentiment because I care too. I tried the diet for maybe 3 weeks years ago and then stopped. It is not a healthy long term approach. I hope that you can find something better for you that will allow you to achieve your weight loss goals in the most healthy way.

Good luck.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite Atkins, but I am a low carb person. Atkins has actually been proven to not be a bad lifestyle if you follow the plan as it should be. There are many bastardized versions out there that will screw up your system, so it's always best to be careful and research.
    Feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You should really look into eating Primal/Paleo as opposed to Atkins. It's a more pragmatic approach and in fact isn't even necessarily low carb, it just allows meat and the right types of carbs, mostly from vegetables. I mainly find that over 20 years, the people who I've known to do Atkins, take the whole eat all the meat you want a little too literally and stuff their face with bacon all day long. Paleo really educates you on the healthy way to eat meat (i.e. grass fed beef, fish, etc.) and what carbs (vegetables) are optimal for you. It's also grain free, which I have to say I feel so much better off of grains and I didn't even realize I had an issue with them before. Just be careful with Atkins, I'm not saying you are taking an irresponsible approach to it, but a lot of people do, and it can be dangerous. It's also not a practical lifestyle change, whereas Primal is.
  • phany76
    phany76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with aimssc, be careful with this diet. I tried this diet, well i tried lots of diets, and with the Atkins, i felt weak, had no energy. That is my own experience, everyone's experience may be different. But i think a balanced small portion life change not diet is better, that is what i am trying and so far it is going well. I hope this helped
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my own modified version of Atkins (pretty sure drinking low-carb shakes and eating nuts during induction is a no-no, but I'm doing it anyway :P). I've done low-carb off and on for almost 10 years now and have yet to have any "health problems" because of it. If anything, it improves my blood pressure and cholesterol. A lot of people seem to think Atkins is NO CARB... it is in fact, not! During induction, you'll want to stay under 20 carbs a day, but after induction you slowly increase that amount. Doctors recommend I eat a low-carb diet because I am insulin-resistant and have PCOS. Calorie reduction works for a lot of people, but that alone does not work for me. I do both calorie and carb reduction. :) Anyway, you're welcome to be my friend. I could use all of the low-carb buddies I can get!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to say she 'shouldn't' do the diet, but to watch what her body is telling her and to be careful.
  • Lindac6724
    Lindac6724 Posts: 27
    Options
    Ok, gang....:yawn: Thanks for your advice/opinions, but I have done it before, did my research and I don't do it to the extreme. What is dangerous is the LOW FAT (full of sugar)/NO FAT (everyone needs fat in their diet) diet. All that agree with Aimscc...go with Aimscc. :grumble: I agree with Dittepe and Zhak.:bigsmile:

Since I have been doing Atkins,along with taking the recommended vitamins/herbs... my blood pressure, cholestrol , arthritis and energy has improved tremendously. And to top it all off, is that I am losing weight. Man-made carbs (processed foods) is no good for anyone. Carbs from veggies and fruits is excellent.

What Dr. Atkins advocates is that each person find "their critical carb level" where they can eat a certain number of carbs to either lose or maintain their weight, without gaining weight. When you find yourself gaining weight... you are over your critical carb level.".:heart: Because you go on Atkins doesn't mean you have to start at the lowest point 20g might not do it for you, so you move it up to 30g and see how you feel. Secondly, anyone doing any type of diet should consult with their doctors and always get a second opinion as whose to say your doctor is the "KNOW ALL....END ALL" Most people had/have a pre-existing medical condition or an underlying medical condition that they did or did not know that they had.:sick: Before anyone starts the Atkins Diet or ANY DIET, they should do their research. I reached out and contacted the ATKINS CENTER in NYC to ask important questions pertaining to my own personal health. ATKINS CENTER has helped me out tremendously, all you have to do is write them.

My question to you who are against Atkins, is: Why should I eat 200+ carbs a day, when 40-70g of carbs might be all I need? He didn't say eat a "cow" he said eat 3-4 oz of protein at your discretion. Eat to feel satiated, not stuffed. Things that one ate as a child/teenager one cannot eat those same things when they get older....your digestive system changes, your body can't tolerate what it use to eat 10, 15 years ago.

Now... getting back to the original question..." Is anyone out there that is doing Atkins and would like a penpal?" :smile:

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Processed carbs are UNHEALTH"Y CARBS. Things that doesn't work for you might work for someone else. "Metabolisms" are like fingerprints everyone has one, but everyone's metabolism are the same.
  • Lindac6724
    Options
    CORRECTION:

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Processed carbs are UNHEALTH"Y CARBS. Things that doesn't work for you might work for someone else. "Metabolisms" are like fingerprints everyone has one, but everyone's metabolism are NOT the same.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    CORRECTION:

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Processed carbs are UNHEALTH"Y CARBS. Things that doesn't work for you might work for someone else. "Metabolisms" are like fingerprints everyone has one, but everyone's metabolism are NOT the same.

I like that quote! :)
  • Lindac6724
    Options
    Good Morning:

Well I am psych to get this into gear. Have started 2 months ago, and have lost 10 lbs so far, and looking to lose 8 lbs for the month of July.

How are you doing? Do you have a goal for this month? Just know we can do this and come out better for doing it.:happy:
    Have a great low carb day and stay hydrated.

Linda

soda_in_a_glass_sx.gif Created by Animationplaza.com
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I don't really have a monthly goal. I know i should probably set one, but I never got around to it :) I just know that I feel less tired when I cut down on the carbs, and that's a big plus for me!
  • chiwalker
    chiwalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I am on the Atkins plan and am in the OWL stage of it now. It's been good for me too. Feel free to friend me if you like. I'm still learning about this website, and still trying to figure out how to get the food diary to automatically figure the Net Carbs.
  • toddlertaxi
    Options
    Me! I started last week and am down 5lbs. I am new to this site but would love to share ideas and support.
  • Lindac6724
    Options
    Welcome Ladies:

Glad to have you both on board. That is fantastic toddletaxi, that you lost 5 lbs. But don't get discouraged if your weight loss slows down to 2 lbs. That's normal. Just stick with it and don't pay too much attention to the scale. Pay more attention to how your clothes fit.

We can do this, and we will get the excess weight off. Can't stress enough, that you take vitamins while on Atkins.

The good thing about Atkins for me right now, is that I lost 11 lbs and my blood pressure came down. My doctor is estatic.

Linda

Quote of the Day: " It's your choice - will you choose to be a victim or the victor?"

scalestranslil.gif Created by Animation Playhouse.com
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Agree! Get those vitamins in, AND make sure you're getting enough fiber. If you aren't getting it through food, you should take a supplement. Though I suggest food instead :)
  • Lindac6724
    Options
    Checking in to see how everyone is doing. Hopefully, everyone is still focused and not getting discouraged if your scale did not move any more this week, especially if you know you followed the diet to a "T."

Check your clothes and just keep doing what you are doing and you are sure to see a loss soon.

Have a great low carb day.

Linda

AnimatedTree.gif Created by Animation Playhouse.com
  • debadoo64
    debadoo64 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I am just starting OWL stage of Atkins. Following the updated, current Atkins New Revolution, which means 12-15grams of complex carbohydrates a day, healthy fats, and of course protein. Induction was easy for me and I am a carboholic! I lost just under 10 lbs in about 16 days. I have no cravings and I am never hungry. At this point in my diet I am eating nuts and even low carb tortillas. It's not just meat, eggs, and cheese and fat! Lots of low carb veggies are the staple of this diet now. For those of you that associate the Atkins diet with just fat and protein, please research what the plan is based upon now, which, as I stated above, is complex veggie's that are low carb. As I follow this plan, I am also coming in at about 1200 calories, which is about right and was calculated by MFP anyway. Because I am not starving and not craving, I have great portion control ability. I do about 30 mins of moderate cardio about 5 days per week. Will start to add weights to tone. I also take a scoop of Green Vibrance everyday (have been on this for about a year) and I LOVE IT! Different things work for different people. My family (on both sides - maternal grandmother and aunt, my father, and my sister) have Type 2 diabetes; big reason why I chose to limit my carbs. I am at about 25g of carbohydrates per day (again with at least half from veggies). I will slowly add more carbs each week. When I am at goal, I could be at 50-60 carbs per day. I don't feel that this is unhealthy! The best thing that has happened for me is that I'm off of processed foods and sugars. I feel great. Have tons of energy. Let's all be kind to each other here! Yeah, I got sick of eggs, so I don't eat them everyday... there are plenty of choices! I know that as I am posting I am inviting other people's opinions... that's fine. But like I said, different things for different people. We all have different circumstances, health backgrounds, hereditary and emotional issues with food. I hope for those who are following the CURRENT Atkins diet that this post will encourage you.
  • Lindac6724
    Options
    09.gif Created by Charm Royal.com

Deebadoo....You said it all in a Nutshell. I totally agree.