Eat the calories you burn or not??

Options
I do not understand if I am supposed to eat the calories I burn by exercising.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you get your calorie goal from MFP? If so, it's designed for you to eat back the calories you burn from exercise. To account for potential over-estimations of calorie burn, some people just eat back a portion of the calories -- say, 50-75%.
  • claudiaaguilar28
    Options
    I try not to eat them. However, it is good to know you have some calories stashed if you happen to be hungry
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's all about the net.

If you you burn so many cals that your net is "too low" relative to your daily goal, there's no harm eating some back as long as you stay at or below your goal but, then again, there's no need to eat any more if you're not hungry and are in weight loss mode. On the other hand, if you've eaten and burned just the "right" amount, there's obviously no point in eating any cals burned back because that would put you over your daily limit.
  • GinaMarieG27
    GinaMarieG27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Did you get your calorie goal from MFP? If so, it's designed for you to eat back the calories you burn from exercise. To account for potential over-estimations of calorie burn, some people just eat back a portion of the calories -- say, 50-75%.

Yes I did. Ok I think I'm understanding now!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mfp is set up so that you eat them back. IMO exercise calories taste the best!
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1400 on workout days and 1200 on non work out days. I don't eat the calories back because I aim for enough high quality foods. Make sure you plan your meals. Planning does not have to be a rigorous task. Usually I plan for the next day at bed time because my taste change to much to eat the same thing everyday. When a eat healthy all day I reward myself with a treat for my night time snack.