Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
Can apple cider vinegar aid in digestion, or is it just a bunch of nonsense?

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    it has health benefits but not associated with fat loss.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I suppose I can see how it might do something to help digest food, but it seems like it is used to cure everything lately. I saw one post about mixing it with baking soda and water to cure something.... the resulting liquid would be salty water that had recently bubbled - woo wee health!
  • J72FIT
    edited September 2016
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

Not interested as per fat loss. Was curious if it actually helps aid digestion. I have read that it is considered food for the beneficial gut bacteria. Was wondering if it was true or nonsense...
  • selina884
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    selina884 wrote: »

Not interested as per fat loss. Was curious if it actually helps aid digestion. I have read that it is considered food for the beneficial gut bacteria. Was wondering if it was true or nonsense...

I took it for a year - didn't feel any different. Anecdotal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You mean the one with the mother? Like Bragg's brand?
  • selina884
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You mean the one with the mother? Like Bragg's brand?

Actually good point - this is the one I am talking about.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    ACV gives me heartburn. :confounded:
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    If someone asked me what I hate more, terrorism or torture, my answer would still be ACV. Gag.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'd have to dig for their reasons - but I know a lot of the top health and fitness guru's that I listen to on podcasts recommend it (the Bragg's Organic kind). I use it as a salad dressing with some lemon juice and in some marinades, etc. There are definitely a lot of "claims" for it. You can give it a try and see if you notice any differences in your ailment. Pretty sure it's calorie free so no harm in trying.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is any actual science to back up claims about ACV "health properties". Years ago I was desperate for constipation relief and tried drinking it diluted-all that accomplished was one hell of a stomach ache.
    It's a great marinade though!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Works well in my hair. Would never drink it.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37229792 Article on BBC about ACV a few weeks ago
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    Options
    It works great on mosquito bites, but I would not drink it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37229792 Article on BBC about ACV a few weeks ago

Cool article. I think that sums it up of for me. My cholesterol, blood sugar and trigs are fine so I'll leave the apple cider vinegar on the supermarket shelf...

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ACV gives me heartburn. :confounded:

........and for others it reduces heartburn. But, yeah heartburn for me too.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My friend drank it to relive her heartburn she said it worked I tried it and it did not work for me. I thought it odd since it is an acid and don't you need a base to relive heartburn ...?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    My friend drank it to relive her heartburn she said it worked I tried it and it did not work for me. I thought it odd since it is an acid and don't you need a base to relive heartburn ...?

It is odd, but a co-worker drinks lemonade all day to combat her heartburn. She swears by it.
  • MarkaStone
    MarkaStone Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The best use for it is to put it in a shallow bowl with a tiny drop of hand soap. That way it attracts & drowns the fruit flies :smile:
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Some people say that their heartburn is due to low stomach acid, so that's why ACV works for them...
    Maybe I don't understand the definition of heartburn, but I thought it was caused by stomach acid irritating your esophagus.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »

From what I understand, heartburn is simply stomach acid in the esophagus - it does not mean you have "too much" stomach acid or you need to neutralize it, you just need to keep it in your stomach where it belongs. Supposedly most people actually dont produce enough stomach acid (which also tends to cause heartburn along with other digestive issues since your food is not broken down enough) and taking acid reducers or antacid actually makes it worse (not sure if true, but there is a lot about it out there). And reducing the acid can lead to those other digestive issues like IBS symptoms since you get undigested food in your intestines, which inhibits vitamin and mineral absorption that should happen there, etc. They actually recommend drinking ACV or taking a HCL tablet with your food to help it break down better and somehow keep the acid from coming back up. Heartburn can also be causing simply by poor posture causing acid to be forced back up, or other reasons like laying down too soon after eating, etc.

At least that is what I have read recently while researching digestive issues and heartburn myself. Am planning to test the theory out, but not by drinking ACV! yuk...