Did This Ever Happen To You?

Options
OK, so it was extremely humid here today and I was out on my brisk walk, trucking along on a record pace for me and I glanced down at my HRM and it showed my heart rate at 99%.

First off, I was not out of breath, but it concerned me LOL

I slowed down for a block or two and the rate didn't come down at all. So I was trying to check my pulse as I walked and as near as I could tell it was in the 120-135 range, well under what my HRM was reporting.

The only thing I can think of was the extreme amount of sweat that was dripping off me in the humidity, somehow was skewing the reading on my chest strap. Shortly after that, it seemed to be working fine again.

Talk about a moment of panic, I just happened to be walking by our local hospital when it was happening and thinking, ok, if something happens, at least they'll find me quick LOL

Replies

• aschwieterman
    Options
    I have had the same thing. And yes, the sweat can cause it. Mind was showing 212 bpm. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Usually numbers like that indicate that there is a communication problem between the strap and the watch. I have that with mine when I where it in the car or van. Once I get out it is fine again. If I am not somewhere that interference could be happening, I adjust the strap a bit to make sure it has not sagged down because of the slickness of the sweat. Usually that will do it. I then tighten the strap when I get home to make sure it won't slip again.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't use a HRM and I am thinking that seeing that number on there made your heart rate quicken right there! And yes, it would have been a right handy piece of business that you were by the hospital! LOL Good thing you didn't need them.
  • kbear_fit
    kbear_fit Posts: 3
    Options
    I was a fitness tech and was running alot of miles. I have had a real high heart rate when the humidity was high or it was really hot out. You sometimes have to adjust your running to compensate for the high temps.:happy:
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it was a malfunction from the sweat, I felt nothing like being at 99% of my heart rate, that's for sure.

I've hit 93-95% a few times and I have to shut it down until I catch my breath, I was not out of breath at all this aft.