Help on setting my macros correctly!!

Options
Hi; I follow the Paleo (clean eating) lifestyle but having a bit of trouble setting my nutrition goals(marcos) on here to meet standards of my Paleo diet. I'm currently needing to lose weight so trying to stick around 1,200 calories but this type of diet you consume more fats (good fats) then other types of diets. So pretty much everyday I get a warning messages that I've reached over my limit set for fat grams and limit on carbs. But yet again my carbs are usually at breakfast from fresh fruits. I did see you have to purchase the advance version of MFP but is there not a way I can come closer to setting what I need a lil better then what I've got...???

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy premium to change your macro settings. But you can only set them in 5% increments for free*. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals

*Unless you download the foodfastfit addon, which is free, but only available for Chrome.

If you get popup warnings, you can turn them off.

That said, clean eating isn't a thing, and paleo is also a fad; "good fats" is another thing that makes eating seem so tricky. You can eat anything and lose weight, and eat healthily in a number of ways. 1200 calories may be too little food for you, if you are "trying to stick to it", that is a hint.
  • Love_Live_Strong
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'll play around some more with the macros thing....
    But Na I'm good on following the clean eating lifestyle. This is something I've actually done for going on 4 years now. Sadly I slip away sometimes but no sooner I get back on track to making the healthier choices my body and mind feels 10 times better!!! It's not a fad for me... It's what helps gives me the most and best nutrients my body needs and energy. Steering away from gluten, wheat, etc has truly helped! I can see where for some it's a fad diet b/c it seems to be the craz right now... But just like anything in life you have to commit and chose if it's something you want to do lifetime or not....just like exercising regularly,etc.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The macro "front and center" MFP upgrade feature was worth the price alone for me. Got rid of digging and calculating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kristyaj4 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the feedback. I'll play around some more with the macros thing....
    But Na I'm good on following the clean eating lifestyle. This is something I've actually done for going on 4 years now. Sadly I slip away sometimes but no sooner I get back on track to making the healthier choices my body and mind feels 10 times better!!! It's not a fad for me... It's what helps gives me the most and best nutrients my body needs and energy. Steering away from gluten, wheat, etc has truly helped! I can see where for some it's a fad diet b/c it seems to be the craz right now... But just like anything in life you have to commit and chose if it's something you want to do lifetime or not....just like exercising regularly,etc.

I have no problems with eating healthily to feel better - in fact, I'm doing that myself! I base my food intake around fruit and vegetables, and cook a lot from scratch. It's the concept of "clean eating" I don't like. In fact, if you hadn't mentioned Paleo, I would have had no idea that you were cutting out gluten and wheat. Because everybody has their own version of clean eating. And there are quite a few versions of Paleo too, not to mention that Paleo doesn't reflect how we ate in the Stone age, we would have eaten anything available, lots of foods are very different now, there are lots of exceptions and modifications even in the strictest versions, it has no importance to out lives today. And it gets worse - most people just cut out random things, without any reason or understanding why, and not completely. If you have to commit to and chose not eating gluten, it's not something you need to do. If you can't tolerate gluten, you have no choice but staying away, and you don't have to commit, you just don't want to get sick. What you eat instead of wheat, can be a better choice, especially if the wheat you are eating is in the form of cookies and sugary cereal - but wheat in itself, if you don't have intolerances, is a nutritious, cheap and versatile food.

That you keep slipping away makes me wonder if this is a sustainable practice for you. If it makes you feel good and is a lifestyle, it means that you are both willing and able to stick to it. A faddy diet is still a faddy diet, no matter what it's called.
  • Love_Live_Strong
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying. This is something I've been doing tons of research on over past few years and that's why I'm totally fine with eating this way. Not to mention it's done my body good!
  • Love_Live_Strong
    Options
    I totally understand what you're saying. This is something I've been doing tons of research on over past few years and that's why I'm totally fine with eating this way. Not to mention it's done my body good!
    I don't follow the strict Paleo like the whole 30 plan...and I do incorporate some grains like organic oatmeal,quinoa every now and then. Then only reason why I said fall off sometimes is for times like vacations, and holidays (like most people do).
    Again this is something I've known about for awhile and I've took the time to read, listened too, blogs, stories, you name it. So this isn't something I just did for losing weight...It's all about making better choices and eating what's right for out bodies. But yeah everything you've been trying to say and mention I appreciate but it's nothing new to me. There's so much bad out in the world now a days so if we can at least control what we eat and make better choices the better off we'll all be. :smile:

I agree w/ you saying some will just cut certain things out w/ out knowing why first and if it's right for them. Not to mention Just like everything in life we need to learn there's a fine medium to follow and not harm ourselves w/ over doing or under doing. We need to treat our bodies then what most of us do. Find that appropriate medium w/ food and daily exercise.

Also, I LOVE TO COOK!!! I've been taking my time learning to cook cleaner and do away w/ processed foods, bad sugars, etc. Even some of my closest friends and co-workers brag about some of the foods and snacks I make and ask me all the time to bring in extra and they'll pay me. LOL! or ask me for recipes and how I made it. One of their favorites is my own homemade organic nut breads or muffins. Like banana nut, or pumpkin spice... :smile: I now have a few of them that has been slowly trying and learning to make better choices too and leave out the bad stuff.

Thankfully too I've grown up in a family of hunters and learned to hunt, fish, garden all my life. I know what it is to eat clean meat w/ out it being this processed stuff we get at stores and fast foods now a days. Always grew up loving my veggies, but now I know how to cook them healthier and what kinds to eat more regularly and learned along the way what my own body likes and don't like so much. I also have my own laying hens in back yard where I get daily fresh eggs.
    I've been blessed to live a life like this. I'm not a city folk that's just following the "Paleo" fad diet b/c I'm told it's good for us. I do so because I know whats truly clean eating and what's not. What our bodies need to survive... so on and so on. I'm thankful too that I've been able to help friends and family along the way w/ my healthier journey too, and get feedback of how well their feeling and doing as well.

Everyone out there may chose a different type of eating... rather you're a vegetarian or hard core vegan. Some chose to do the Mediterranean type eating...and the list goes on and on. Me personally I don't care as long as everyone knows (who,what,where,WHY) they're doing it and if it's right for them or not. :wink:

~God Bless and hope you're journey goes well too!