Protein supplement labels...

Options
Why do some protein supplements (i.e. Muscle milk) have a label that says "not for weight loss"???

I thought of you are in a calorie deficit and working out you needed a higher level of protein intake. Is this incorrect?

Replies

• sh512266
    sh512266 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I do a protein shake with 1.5 cups of mixed fruit blended in each morning for breakfast with a boiled egg. My protein also says "not for weight loss" but it's working anyway with an end of the day calorie deficit under my goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein powders/drinks are supplements but they have calories (some have a good amount). You have to have an overall deficit to lose weight, and a protein shake may or may not help that based on the rest of your intake. I suspect it said that, because they are required by the FDA.

You are correct regarding higher levels of proteins. Most studies would suggest that you would benefit from around .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass ( if you are lean, it may be even up to 1g per lb of weight). Increased protein supports maintenance of muscle and metabolic requirements.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to mistake protein shakes for weight loss meal supplements.
  • sh512266
    Options
    So is it a good plan to stick with what I'm doing? My goal is to lose weight. I feel a lot more energetic and am always below by goal calories for the day, obviously including the calories of my specific protein powder that I drink every am. I do 60-90 mins of cardio daily and input that calories burned from what my treadmill says (it monitors my heart rate). It's working great so far, just want to make sure I'm on a good path. The rest of my day is filled with fiber, fruit, veggies, more eggs, lean meat and other low calorie sources of protein like hummus and turkey slices etc. Any input would be much appreciated!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sh512266 wrote: »
    So is it a good plan to stick with what I'm doing? My goal is to lose weight. I feel a lot more energetic and am always below by goal calories for the day, obviously including the calories of my specific protein powder that I drink every am. I do 60-90 mins of cardio daily and input that calories burned from what my treadmill says (it monitors my heart rate). It's working great so far, just want to make sure I'm on a good path. The rest of my day is filled with fiber, fruit, veggies, more eggs, lean meat and other low calorie sources of protein like hummus and turkey slices etc. Any input would be much appreciated!

What are your goals outside of weight loss? Personally, I would replace 3 days of cardio with 3 days of full body lifting. Cardio is great for heart health and burning calories, but lifting is great for maintaining muscle mass and metabolism. And more muscle = tighter and leaner body.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to eat healthy, move around, and don't waste money on protein powders and supplements. Getting all your nutrience from whole foods will yield much better results guaranteed.
  • sh512266
    Options
    My goal is to get down to 130. I'm 5"9 and 150 right now. I work out at home in my room and watch my pvr'd shows. I don't have any weights at the moment but I should consider buying some.. I don't want to pay for a gym membership. It's working so far! Other than the one scoop of protein powder (180 cals, 30g of protein) in the am, I eat low-carb, high protein and healthy fat whole foods throughout the day. I'm typically over 90g of protein by the day's end, which I find gives me lots of energy! @psulemon @sbubenchik
  • sh512266
    Options
    I should add that I'm 30 and female, if that makes a difference!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mrsherrm wrote: »
    Why do some protein supplements (i.e. Muscle milk) have a label that says "not for weight loss"???

I thought of you are in a calorie deficit and working out you needed a higher level of protein intake. Is this incorrect?

Because a whole lot of people seem to think that a protein supplement somehow aids in weight loss....it's just a supplement...the only thing it aids in is hitting protein targets.
    I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I do a protein shake with 1.5 cups of mixed fruit blended in each morning for breakfast with a boiled egg. My protein also says "not for weight loss" but it's working anyway with an end of the day calorie deficit under my goal.

It's working anyway because you have a calorie deficit...it doesn't have *kitten* to do with your protein supplement...there's no magical powers in your protein shake that impact weight loss.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not everyone who drinks protein shakes intends to lose weight, and they aren't all put together intentionally for that. If you are at a calorie deficit you'll lose weight even if you drink coca-cola, and that also isn't intended for weight loss. But I imagine they're just making that clear for someone who would rather buy a protein shake that IS intended for weight loss, and therefore had fewer calories.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Because they don't want you to use that as your sole nutrition.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Protein shakes aren't bad, just not nessisary unless you just can't seem to get more nutrience into your body, maybe you don't have time to eat more or whatever else. Just try not to make it a full meal replacement. It just supplements what you're not getting through food.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My goal is to get down to 130. I'm 5"9 and 150 right now. I work out at home in my room and watch my pvr'd shows. I don't have any weights at the moment but I should consider buying some.. I don't want to pay for a gym membership. It's working so far! Other than the one scoop of protein powder (180 cals, 30g of protein) in the am, I eat low-carb, high protein and healthy fat whole foods throughout the day. I'm typically over 90g of protein by the day's end, which I find gives me lots of energy! @psulemon @sbubenchik

I would consider looking into a program like "you are your own gym" or "convict condition". The are body resistance programs which can be beneficial if you don't have equipment. At some point, you can always pick some some selecttech dumbells or resistance bands to advance you routine.

Also, do you realize that 130 puts you borderline underweight right?
  • sh512266
    Options
    Yes I do realize that, I think the minimum is 131 for my height. I will probably be happy to maintain 135. Thanks for the info on the programs and I will pick up some dumbells!
  • sh512266
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Wouldn't the protein intake give me more energy and help me feel fuller, so that I can be able to finish the day with a deficit? I could be totally wrong but I feel more full and have more energy with lots of protein on board. I can't imagine eating more protein than I am now so the shake helps me reach my daily protein intake goal and sometimes go slightly over.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Wouldn't the protein intake give me more energy and help me feel fuller, so that I can be able to finish the day with a deficit? I could be totally wrong but I feel more full and have more energy with lots of protein on board. I can't imagine eating more protein than I am now so the shake helps me reach my daily protein intake goal and sometimes go slightly over.

The point is that it's not for weight loss...there's nothing magical about a protein supplement for losing weight...personally, I'd rather eat something than drink a shake and I've never found a whey supplement to be particularly filling or satiating...no more than a glass of water or milk anyway.

People use whey supplements regardless of whether they're trying to lose weight...body builders use them to put on weight...lots of people are just maintaining their weight and use them...the point is that your weight loss isn't directly attributable to your shake...it's not magical...and it's not the intent of the product...the product is just a supplement...you get the same thing having a piece of chicken or steak...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    mrsherrm wrote: »

Yes, you need a higher level of protien to retain muscle than to build muscle. Though that doesn't mean you need the shake at all, it's a suppliment if you have a hard time consuming enough.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2016
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

You can find it in there. On a personal note i would monitor progress through pictures as well. If you retain muscle you may find that you don'tneed to lose that much. My goals are based on body fat % not weight.

Below is a good reason why body composition destroys weight every time. She gained 20 lbs.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/