For the girls, Mirena I.U.D and weight loss ?

Options
Have had the mirena fitted 2 weeks ago to help sort out menorrhagia. The first week I put on a few pounds but this week they have gone again but I'm STARVING and struggling not to overeat!
People that have the mirena is it affecting your weight loss?

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Yes appetite increased. Strangest experience when you've always had some control. Fluctuations were crazy too even just eating at maintenance. Took 4 months before I felt normal again. Hang in there.
  • Qskim
    edited September 2016
    Options
    And yes I gained but I had a few other temporary health dramas which the mirena helped address too - iron deficiency which blew out auto-immune reaction. All meant I was pretty sedentary, lethargic and couldn't GAF.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any issues with it causing cravings or hindering weight loss. I've lost over hundred pounds since last July. However, I've had mine for four years, but only been dieting just over a year. My body may have adjusted and I honestly don't remember if my eating changed when I first got it because I wasn't dieting at the time so I wasn't paying attention.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What's your deficit at the moment? Is there room for you to decease it a bit so you can eat a bit more and not feel crazy hungry all the time? It should settle time once you adjust. And the initial gain is likely water retention so that will sort itself out too.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Mirena didnt affect my weight
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena I.U.D. and have not had any issues with weight loss.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have not had any issues with weight loss since having mine placed.
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My roommate recently got one (like 2 months ago), and has been pretty vocal about struggling with weight loss ever since. Although tbh she also eats almost nothing but dill pickle chips, so that can't be helping either.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Mirena has a small dose of hormones compared to the pill etc., so while I'm sure there are people who are sensitive enough to those hormones for it to make a difference, I'm not one of those people and I noticed no difference in my appetite.

It does cause my periods to be pretty infrequent and sometimes I have PMS symptoms for a couple weeks straight, so I do experience a little extra water retention at times that I can't shake until I do get a period, but overall it's so much less severe than without the IUD and so convenient to have it that I have no complaints.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It has had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I had it for 5 years, but no impact to weight or appetite.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had it for five years, it did not affect my weight one way or another.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena in for about 6 months to manage endometriosis. In the first two months I had this insatiable appetite, my Dr told me it wasn't related to the mirena but I'm not convinced. I gained 5 kgs. It seems to have settled down now. Give it some time.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Ive had Mirena several years - no issues ever after it settled in first several weeks.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was tracking calories last October when I had my Mirena put in and, eating at the same levels (weighing food, etc., all that fun stuff), I gained like a pound a day for the next weeks. More than anything else, I got discouraged. I wasn't hungrier than normal or anything, just watched that scale number go up. I felt puffy, too, so I'm assuming it was all water but it was seriously depressing. After that, I slipped until August, gained back about 30 of the 60 lbs I lost during that time. Started back in August and it appears that my body is back to normal. Lost 8 lbs in August and due for about the same in September. I believe that, if I'd kept my motivation, I would've been fine losing after the first couple of months. But your body does go haywire for a bit. After that, it's wonderful. Totally worth it!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    To summarize my post and about everyone else's, your body is going to go kooky for a bit but be patient and it WILL settle down. You may have to say this to yourself every day but you'll get back to normal typically within a few days to a few months.
  • Qskim
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I was tracking calories last October when I had my Mirena put in and, eating at the same levels (weighing food, etc., all that fun stuff), I gained like a pound a day for the next weeks. More than anything else, I got discouraged. I wasn't hungrier than normal or anything, just watched that scale number go up. I felt puffy, too, so I'm assuming it was all water but it was seriously depressing. After that, I slipped until August, gained back about 30 of the 60 lbs I lost during that time. Started back in August and it appears that my body is back to normal. Lost 8 lbs in August and due for about the same in September. I believe that, if I'd kept my motivation, I would've been fine losing after the first couple of months. But your body does go haywire for a bit. After that, it's wonderful. Totally worth it!

Yeh I was puffy too and the bloating was discouraging. You can't imagine it getting better. Plus your cycle, if heavy may still be heavy for the first one, eases on second but I've heard individual stories in that regard. Mine was twice a month, heavy prior. Now it's 14 days straight but lighter. Waiting to see if it improves yet again.

When you haven't experienced the changes that happen they can be a little daunting and seem endless. I only now feel like I can handle a deficit again but my iron is back up and so too my energy. I felt very out of body to be honest.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena for just over one year. It hasn't affected my weight or hunger level, as far as I can tell.
  • reggiesmommy29
    reggiesmommy29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a mirena for 4 yrs and gained over 50lbs. I had mood swings and other issues I had it removed and within 2 wks lost 15lbs. I'm currently still losing.