What are some of your little victories that encouraged you to keep going?

Options
On 9/7 I decided to get serious about getting back into shape. Since it's been exactly two weeks and I have lost about 2 pounds. I try really hard every day to stay at my calorie goal. I haven't started a formal exercise regime but have been trying to walk 10k steps a day. Progress is there but slow and I just what to lose all the weight overnight. But I'm doing it the healthy way.

Today I grabbed some quick breakfast. A redbull and a protein bar.
(I know I know the redbull is terrible, but its 160 calories and I need it to survive).
Got to work and forgot that it was a potluck day. Donuts, coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, lava cake, cookies of every kind, candy etc etc.
I HAVE THE BIGGEST SWEET TOOTH ON EARTH!
I COULDNT RESIST
So I decided to indulge in a smores bar and a scoop of crockpot cake with whip, plus a half cup of milk.
Since I had already eaten breakfast I didn't even finish what I put on my plate. And I didn't force myself to eat it.
Usually with sweets I cant resist and end up eat 5 donuts and 3 cookies plus 4 brownies. But this time I am pretty proud I stopped when I was starting to feel like I'd get full. I don't feel guilty about it because Ive been meeting my calorie goal everyday for 2 weeks.

I definitely see this as a little victory that can go a long way.

Replies

• NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you can have little cheat meals but when it comes to sweets just know the details of how much sugar, sodium, carbs and calories are in everything you are eating. With me I realize how bad it is that I just eat 1/3 of a donut instead of the whole thing.
    Also, try looking for much healthier dessert. Soy based ice cream, flourless chocolate cake..etc. There are some alternatives out there that are actually pretty good. This way you can indulge without really feeling too bad.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the RedBull. I can't seem to give up Monster, so I just opt for the Lo-Carb, Rehab, or Absolute Zero varities that have like 35 calories or less a can!

Congrats on the little victory! Mine is probably when I bought a pair of shorts in a size 5... couldn't get them up my thighs when I bought them, but this past weekend I was able to put them on and button them! Did they look good? Heck no! I've never seen a muffin top so voluptuous. :lol: But it was a sure sign of progress.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I was able to go to the gym last week and bike for 2 miles. Monday I walked on the treadmill for 2.5 miles, and then took a yoga class yesterday. Basically I am slowly getting my energy back after being bedridden for months this year.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love all of the added energy, and well, looking the the mirror and seeing the flab go down also helps!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've found it important to create my own little victories. The key for me is to have multiple goals--weight, measurements, appearance, progress pics, clothes, new recipes, and various fitness goals--steps, floors climbed, new walking routes, plank time, increased weights, new exercises, etc., participating in public events like 5k or 10k and I've walked several of them (just RAN my first one). Something is always going well so I focus on that even when other areas aren't going as well I might like. I'm always excited to achieve a new milestone.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to focus on more of my little victories--I think that's important for creating that motivation to keep moving forward! I think right now I enjoy the satisfaction of getting to the gym or doing a workout each day, even if it's just a walk. I love the added energy I get from it, plus it makes it even better when I get home and can relax.
  • kborthacyre
    kborthacyre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight I had a hard time giving up the sweets. But once I started seeing the weight loss I started really pushing myself. I have lost 30 pounds altogether. I just recently started using fitness pal to help me track what I eat. Something else that I learned is that what works for one person may not work for everyone else. I had to figure out what worked for me. I still eat ice-cream every day as that is one thing that I love. And yes I have managed to maintain my weight. Good luck to you and I hope you find what works for you.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    On 9/7 I decided to get serious about getting back into shape. Since it's been exactly two weeks and I have lost about 2 pounds. I try really hard every day to stay at my calorie goal. I haven't started a formal exercise regime but have been trying to walk 10k steps a day. Progress is there but slow and I just what to lose all the weight overnight. But I'm doing it the healthy way.

Today I grabbed some quick breakfast. A redbull and a protein bar.
    (I know I know the redbull is terrible, but its 160 calories and I need it to survive).
    Got to work and forgot that it was a potluck day. Donuts, coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, lava cake, cookies of every kind, candy etc etc.
    I HAVE THE BIGGEST SWEET TOOTH ON EARTH!
    I COULDNT RESIST
    So I decided to indulge in a smores bar and a scoop of crockpot cake with whip, plus a half cup of milk.
    Since I had already eaten breakfast I didn't even finish what I put on my plate. And I didn't force myself to eat it.
    Usually with sweets I cant resist and end up eat 5 donuts and 3 cookies plus 4 brownies. But this time I am pretty proud I stopped when I was starting to feel like I'd get full. I don't feel guilty about it because Ive been meeting my calorie goal everyday for 2 weeks.

I definitely see this as a little victory that can go a long way.

I've had many along the way. First was finally feeling comfortable in the weight section of the gym, overcoming strength "goals" that I set for myself (my old MAX is now my warm-up weight for almost all exercises), sitting down and not seeing rolls, having notable arm/back/quad muscles, being able to do weighted walking lunges (I have a bad foot, so this was a big thing for me), being so dedicated to the gym that it's HARDER for me to take a rest day than just get my *kitten* in the weight room. It takes time. After a year, there's no going back though.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight I had a hard time giving up the sweets. But once I started seeing the weight loss I started really pushing myself. I have lost 30 pounds altogether. I just recently started using fitness pal to help me track what I eat. Something else that I learned is that what works for one person may not work for everyone else. I had to figure out what worked for me. I still eat ice-cream every day as that is one thing that I love. And yes I have managed to maintain my weight. Good luck to you and I hope you find what works for you.

Wow 30 pounds that's awesome! I think I am the same way. I absolutely look chocolate, cookies, brownies, donuts etc etc. But once I start seeing the scale drop I think twice before I reach for one. I still eat all those things but not every single day like I use to. Or I'll have ONE not a whole box.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the RedBull. I can't seem to give up Monster, so I just opt for the Lo-Carb, Rehab, or Absolute Zero varities that have like 35 calories or less a can!

Congrats on the little victory! Mine is probably when I bought a pair of shorts in a size 5... couldn't get them up my thighs when I bought them, but this past weekend I was able to put them on and button them! Did they look good? Heck no! I've never seen a muffin top so voluptuous. :lol: But it was a sure sign of progress.

Hey that's definitely progress. I cant get my shorts over my thighs that I wore last summer, my goal is to be able to fit back into them next summer.
  • GMgetsfit
    GMgetsfit Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I set goals for myself I have arthritis in both my knees so the only cardio I get is on a stationary bike. I have been able to increase my time on the stationary bike at the same level of intensity from 35 minutes to 1.5 hrs and some days I go 2 hrs but with less intensity. But my what am most happy about is seeing a little muscle in my flabby arms from the upper body weight training, even though I can't lift anymore than I could when I started. Just seeing my arms makes me want to go to the gym. Lgging food here, helped me cut back on sodium and calories because when you realize that sometimes its just small food changes that help its easier to make the change. brats are too high in calories so turkey sausage makes me feel happier now for breakfast with my oatmeal. a lowercals and sodium but still satisfying. resisting temptation is a great accomplishment, we all wish we could resist more often! WTG!
  • ale527
    ale527 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Small victory with a big impact: overcoming social anxiety enough to take fitness classes. I ended up finding a bunch of really awesome girls and have lost 25 pounds since May. I started taking one class a week and now sometimes take 3 a day.
  • slashbayouboergoats
    Options
    I bought a pair of pants in my "regular" size at the beginning of the summer without trying them on. Couldn't zip them up. Now in September they go on perfectly. Now to challenge myself to when they get loose!