Decrease in metabolic rate?

Options
I apologize for writing another "I'm not losing weight, help!" board, but I don't know how to get out of my plateau. Since June I've been losing 1.5 pounds a week every week. But about a month ago I hit 155 and have not lost any weight. I weigh myself every day and I see fluctuations, but I've never gotten off the 155 mark. I eat 1,200 calories a day because I'm a 5'5' 19 year old female, so I can't decrease my net calories any more. I haven't changed what I've been eating at all. I was wondering if my metabolic rate decreased so much that I can't lose weight anymore? Am I just stuck being 6 pounds overweight? I tried increasing my calories to 1,400 but I quickly gained weight, so I dropped back down.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. If it is to be believed, your diet is pretty terrible in general, you barely eat anything, and what you do eat includes little to no veggies/fruit/protein/etc.

- You are too light to continue losing 1.5 pounds per week so just put that out of your head. Set your goal to either .5 or 1 pound per week.
    - Eat better and log better.
    - Be more active for the sake of your health.
  • JuliaShey
    JuliaShey Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm terrible at logging, but I only log things that I'll either forget or are calorie intensive. Fruits and veggies that are low calorie I count in my head, and I do exercise, but I don't log that either. I go to the gym Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays for about an hour to two. How many calories should I be eating if I eat too little?
  • JuliaShey
    JuliaShey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks, I'll try that for a while
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you are, as self assessed, terrible at logging. There's your problem. And yes, lower your goal losses.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Use trending weight app.

focus on strength and health more than just weight at your age.

Having said that, set mfp to 1lb a week at most and aim to achieve 0.5 lbs a week.

When you do decide to track realize that track means track and that doesn't include track fruits in head. It includes using scale....unless all you want to track is whether you ate less than 5000 Cal a day vs more than 5000 Cal a day.... then head tracking might work....though I personally failed even that test
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JuliaShey wrote: »
    I'm terrible at logging, but I only log things that I'll either forget or are calorie intensive. Fruits and veggies that are low calorie I count in my head, and I do exercise, but I don't log that either. I go to the gym Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays for about an hour to two. How many calories should I be eating if I eat too little?

Fruits aren't really low-cal, I could easily eat 200-300 cals of fruit a day without thinking about it. Try committing to logging everything and weighing your portions as much as is humanly possible for two weeks. Anyone can commit to two weeks, right? You will probably find that you are eating more than you think, and wasting calories on stuff you haven't even been worrying about. It's really common - I did it myself! After the two weeks, you might decide to keep it up, but even if you don't you will probably have a good idea of what's going on.

And yeah, bring your weekly goal down too, once you get lighter, you are going to lose weight slower. Hang in here and good luck :drinker: