HELP!!!!

Options
Hello,
My name is Diana and I am a mother of 4 boys. My youngest is 14 months old. I currently weigh 179 lbs and I am 5 ft 1.
I have had a really hard time on staying focused on losing weight and I have a desk job. When I am not sitting at my desk I am home taking care of my children.
This is my first attempt ever to reach out and look for encouragement. I struggle on a daily to stay focused. I am so upset with the amount of weight I've put on over the years. I feel gross and for the first time this week I noticed that my stomach flaps over! I am one of those people that when I gain weight it goes right to my stomach. I just want to get rid of it and look and feel healthy. Today the excuses stop! My weight loss goal is to lose 54 lbs.
Is there anyone out there trying to accomplish the same as me? does anyone have advise on how I can fit any type of work out in my busy schedule?
Going to the gym a few times a week isn't really an option for me.
How else can I accomplish my weight loss?

HELP????

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You can look up videos on Youtube and work on them at home in your living room. Leslie Sansone has a bunch of walking videos. There are loads of other workouts you can buy but you can probably see some of them on Youtube to get an idea of what you like. Can you buy a treadmill or stationary bike to use at home?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Put the little one in the buggy and go for walks? Try to walk faster so you get a bit out of breath. Go to the park and run after the kids playing. Make exercise into a kids game. Use them as weights, make it something fun to do.
  • Leymiah
    Leymiah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know what you mean. I'm a mother of 3 aged 8, 7 &4. Also work 5 days/week. Really hard to fit it all in - I do try and walk at lunchtime and sometimes take a brisk walk when they're all in bed just to get some air. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about exercising right now...Like said above, determine the number of calories you need to eat, based on what you want to lose each week and focus on getting your eating in order. Definitely invest in a food scale (it's not as much of a pain as you probably think!) Once you get going you will want to continue and you should see good results :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    she has 54lbs to lose. she's not walking that off. she must start logging accurately and eat at the recommended deficit.
  • eveodd
    eveodd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you Diana! Way to take charge of your life and your health.

In a book I read about change, one of the suggestions I thought was really smart was to make a series of small changes rather than go for everything all at once. If you were to, for example, commit to only taking stairs - that is a much more manageable and achievable goal then to generally "get more exercise". Once you've got that going well, add another small change such as "do 5 push-ups every other morning".

Personally, I feel I have my exercise going okay but I'm still not losing weight - or rather I am, but then I go right back up. My first "small" commitment was to reduce from a medium sugary coffee beverage about twice a week to a small. I am now reducing my intake to once, or never, a week. I'm hoping the reduction in sugar will help my lose and also reduce my craving for sugar at other times in the day.

Eve
  • krichar419
    krichar419 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Diana: take it one day at at time... and try not to be so hard on yourself. i agree with pennwalker, check out youtube videos.. you can also try checking out videos from your local library. Also there is a free app called sworkit, where you can customize the time and focus of your workout. depending on where you live, you may want to search for a meetup group..

you have to keep in mind that your food intake is more important than exercise. there are so many different diets our there and it can be confusing as to which one to choose especially with kidos. current medical research recommends an anti-inflammatory diet, ketogenic diet, Mediterranean diet, or paleo diet.(it all depends on what works for your family and you) I hate the word diet.. it has to be more of a life style change

if you can get in 20 mins a day along with eating a high vegetable and fruit diet that includes fats and proteins.. the weight will come off sooner than you think..

PS: I'm open to encouraging and motivating you via myfitness pal, feel free to friend me.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start exercising and something she can do with the kids. OPs post states when she is not working she is looking after her little ones, youngest at 14 months.
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    she has 54lbs to lose. she's not walking that off. she must start logging accurately and eat at the recommended deficit.

• krichar419
    krichar419 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    maybe check out bikini body mommy, blogilates, dancing with nikki, dance fitness with jessica on youtube..they are fun
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's the calories that make or break weight loss. Still, exercise is essential for heart health, circulation, etc. It's deadly to sit for long periods, so be sure you get up and walk around as often as you can but at least once per hour. Doing things with the kids is also a really good way to work exercise into your life - walking, frisbee, bicycling, etc. Play with them.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This chain is hitting the nail on the head.... Weight loss almost entirely about diet.

I was a crossfit addict and then my whole routine turned upside down about 13 months ago when I became a dad. I piled on the lbs - all to the belly and my face... And I was losing control- like I'd order 2 takeout pizzas and easily eat them both in on sitting.

One night I got to the point you are in now when I needed change. I googled macros. How it works and how to lose weight tracking them.

Since doing it I have managed to reduce my body fat substantially and I actually feel pretty lean and tight on the belly.

There is a raft of information on the web - it's known as 'flexible dieting' or 'IIFYM' and I love it as no food is off limits as long as you plan for it.

It's a calculated way of losing weight and you feel entirely in control and it's sustainable. Give it a bash and good luck.

If you need any help getting started just message and I'll be glad to help
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Walking is a great way to start exercising and something she can do with the kids. OPs post states when she is not working she is looking after her little ones, youngest at 14 months.

absolutely!! i totally agree. but there is no talk here about the leading her in the direction of real success and that is to start logging your food and eating at the correct calorie level. that is going to be the difference maker in her reaching her goal. not exercise or some other "program".

You simply must learn to understand your food intake for this to be a lifestyle change with lasting results. you have to know how many calories you can eat to lose weight, and to maintain your weight. you have to learn how many calories are in that baked potato or that double hamburger and how those numbers relate to the composition of your body.

you can follow any program you want but until you take personal responsibility for the amount of calories you consume...."ON YOUR OWN"...you will fall off the wagon and fail...again and again and again. no one ever stays on some designer program forever....so if you don't learn as i'm stating how can you stay lean and healthy after you reach you goal if you can even stay on it long enough to reach your goal.

no one can do this work for you. you must bite the bullet and become a student of nutrition for the sake of your long term health.
  • T0M_K
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This chain is hitting the nail on the head.... Weight loss almost entirely about diet.

I was a crossfit addict and then my whole routine turned upside down about 13 months ago when I became a dad. I piled on the lbs - all to the belly and my face... And I was losing control- like I'd order 2 takeout pizzas and easily eat them both in on sitting.

One night I got to the point you are in now when I needed change. I googled macros. How it works and how to lose weight tracking them.

Since doing it I have managed to reduce my body fat substantially and I actually feel pretty lean and tight on the belly.

There is a raft of information on the web - it's known as 'flexible dieting' or 'IIFYM' and I love it as no food is off limits as long as you plan for it.

It's a calculated way of losing weight and you feel entirely in control and it's sustainable. Give it a bash and good luck.

OR...you could use MFP and log your food intake by weighing you food and actually using the app/website as intended...you know...since your here already.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had 125 pounds to lose when I started and am halfway there. The exercise I have found to target my hips, thighs, and stomach areas is the Gazelle Elliptical. It is affordable to purchase and have at home. (Around $150.) I noticed a difference just doing 20 minutes a day.

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a desk job too and I walk during my 15m and lunch breaks for cardio and use dumbbells for strength training at home.

added-
    I agree that its more about how much you eat. Most people don't realize how many calories they consume because they dont know how much is in a given food. Many peoples idea of portion sizes are skewed also. So a food scale and measuring is a really good way to get that in control. As far as diet, as in what I eat, I'll eat most anything but I try to stay with good fats, leans meats, veggies, whole grain. The only macro I really strive to hit every day is protein.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    You need to find out what food makes you feel fuller for longer. Carbs, proteins, full fat products? You'll never stay on plan if you are constantly hungry. We are all different in what satisfies us.

If you got a crockpot, you can throw in the ingredients before you go to work and come home to a ready made meal. Cook extra and freeze down for quick and easy calorie controlled meals.
  • T0M_K
    Options

nice. a pay to play program. good job at sliding that through!!! almost slipped by me.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

OR...you could use MFP and log your food intake by weighing you food and actually using the app/website as intended...you know...since your here already.

I dont think the app tells you WHAT to eat, so what he said would be in conjunction with using the app wouldn't it? or am I missing something?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I had 125 pounds to lose when I started and am halfway there. The exercise I have found to target my hips, thighs, and stomach areas is the Gazelle Elliptical. It is affordable to purchase and have at home. (Around $150.) I noticed a difference just doing 20 minutes a day.

the calorie deficit is what did that, not the machine. sure the machine helped burn calories but other than that you cannot spot reduce fat. it comes off where it wants when it wants.