After I have a protein shake,how long do I wait to do Max interval circuit training of 60 minutes?

Options
This is a pretty intense workout and Im never really sure how long to wait after I have a protein shake for the properties in the shake to be most effective in my workout?
I usually wait 30 minutes, any sooner I sometimes vomit. (What a waste of shake and time). Any suggestions?

Replies

• Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I always take protein AFTER my workout
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Since 30 minutes before works for you, carry on with that.

nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter

For the vast majority (ex non professional's) protein timing does not matter
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't really think shakes work that way. Protein shakes are just a way to get more protein in your diet, they aren't magic and their isn't a timing associated with them and workouts anymore than with any other sort of food. So to answer your question a lot of people feel a bit off if they eat right before trying intensive cardio so just don't eat right beforehand if that makes the workout more difficult due to discomfort but other than that doesn't matter.

Protein shakes and protein bars are basically if you are struggling to get sufficient protein in your diet based on your caloric goals or because of your typical eating habits and thats it. Eating a bunch of protein X hours before a workout isn't going to do anything special.

If there is one macro that might help with a workout by taking it before hand it would be carbs for energy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have half half an hour before, and half afterwards
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This is one of my favorite pictures on the subject....

OP...it really isn't going to matter...and protein shakes are just supplements for helping you hit your protein targets if you're not doing so with food...there's no particular magic about them.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    monaleerez wrote: »
    This is a pretty intense workout and Im never really sure how long to wait after I have a protein shake for the properties in the shake to be most effective in my workout?
    I usually wait 30 minutes, any sooner I sometimes vomit. (What a waste of shake and time). Any suggestions?

I always eat a protein bar before and a shake about 90-minutes afterwards (just the time it takes to drive home...would take it sooner).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think also OP I read in your other post you were trying to drink a shake containing a whopping 80 grams of protein right before doing basically HIIT style cardio. Honestly I'm not suprised that caused you to vomit.

There is really no reason to do that at all so I'd suggest you just not do that. If you are having difficulty reaching a certain level of protein intake you can just have that protein throughout your day or at a time you are comfortable having it. Trying to take it all all at once and then start jumping up and down all over the place is just a recipe for puking.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    THIS!!!
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    THIS!!!

Thanks.
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks seems like I've been using protein inappropriately. Hmmm, research time I guess. Im starting to think post work out shakes would be more beneficial.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks seems like I've been using protein inappropriately. Hmmm, research time I guess. Im starting to think post work out shakes would be more beneficial.

Essentially, as long as you're getting enough protein per day (0.8g per pound of bodyweight), it doesn't really matter when you eat it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

You're over thinking. As many have said above nutrient timing makes no difference for the vast majority of us. Consume something before or after exercise. Or don't.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You're over thinking. As many have said above nutrient timing makes no difference for the vast majority of us. Consume something before or after exercise. Or don't.

This. Protein shakes are just a convenient way to help people hit their macros. There's nothing magical about them or when you drink them. I personally, now that I have lost a fair amount of weight and have fewer calories to play with, would rather eat solid food for the same calories but to each their own.

Anecdotally, I need a good hour after eating anything more than a few bites before I can workout. Super sluggish or feel ill otherwise.
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options

As long as you get protein within a couple of hours of your workout, you should be good. Before or after doesn't matter that much for whey protein (it does matter with BCAAs, but I don't take those anyway)

Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise
    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/1/E71

It does make a statistical difference to take them within a certain window though (i.e. if you don't take any protein within a few hours of your resistance training workout, you're not going to get as optimal results)

Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-9-54
    (relevant section of this review is at the section labeled Protein supplement intake studies: a comparison of timing protocols)
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Essentially, as long as you're getting enough protein per day (0.8g per pound of bodyweight), it doesn't really matter when you eat it.

Except if it's going to make you vomit! Hence why I don't bother with protein until after. I have had too many occasions of close to passing out / cramps to make me learn that food too close to workout = trouble.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »

As long as you get protein within a couple of hours of your workout, you should be good. Before or after doesn't matter that much for whey protein (it does matter with BCAAs, but I don't take those anyway)

Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise
    http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/1/E71

It does make a statistical difference to take them within a certain window though (i.e. if you don't take any protein within a few hours of your resistance training workout, you're not going to get as optimal results)

Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-9-54
    (relevant section of this review is at the section labeled Protein supplement intake studies: a comparison of timing protocols)

This.

As mentioned several times shakes aren't steroids and it's even debatable if they are equal beneficial to actual food.

There is a window for protien intake but it's not what floats around the gym. Eat/drink some protien a within a couple hours.
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to echo every one of @Aaron_K123 words.

But, to restate them:

1) Take supplements if you can't hit you macro goals with food; or if circumstances prevent you from eating for a while (e.g. gotta drive an hour to work straight from the gym, at which point you'll have been without food for 3-4 hours).

2) Pre-workout carbs help fuel the workout. Still, keto people manage to workout just fine.

3) Filling your stomach with whatever it is, and squeezing and shaking its content for an hour, isn't going to help any workout. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those youtube videos of vomiting deadlifters are prompted by protein or carb shakes.

The science, anecdotal evidence and bro-science on peri-workout nutrition form a really complex web of information, one that is pretty easy to get lost in.

I'm not at a level of training in which nutrition timing would substantially affect my gains. I like to keep it simple: fuel the body, use that fuel. Unless you're a professional athlete competing for fractions of seconds or small increments in weight lifted.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Post workout still comes under the category of "nutrient timing does not matter for the vast majority of us."

However, having a protein shake ready is a better option than letting yourself getting too hungry and thus being tempted to #eatallthethings.