Proteins?!

Options
Hey everyone
So i was wondering
Alot of people drink protein milkshakes in the morning or add protein powders to their
Does the protein powder makes you full?! Or its just "protein"
Cause i dont think milkshakes will make me full in the morning :/
And if it is good which brand should i try ?!
Thanks in advance

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Alot of people drink protein milkshakes in the morning or add protein powders to their
    Thanks in advance

It's just a supplement to help hit protein targets if you're not doing so through food. A lot of people have very lofty protein targets...I myself don't pay a ton of attention anymore.

I've never found a whey shake to be particularly filling or satiating...people just use them to supplement.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Make your shake with real food additives (throw in a banana, berries, egg whites, spinach, etc.- spinach is tasteless when blended, even if it does turn your shake green) and a protein supplement and it'll keep you full.

If you're just drinking water/milk with protein in it, it'll generally keep you as full for as long as... drinking a glass of milk or water. But that's me. Mileage may vary!

As for brands... that's a budget question...

• fatoomalrowaiei
    fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    Make your shake with real food additives (throw in a banana, berries, egg whites, spinach, etc.- spinach is tasteless when blended, even if it does turn your shake green) and a protein supplement and it'll keep you full.

If you're just drinking water/milk with protein in it, it'll generally keep you as full for as long as... drinking a glass of milk or water. But that's me. Mileage may vary!

As for brands... that's a budget question...

Does it actually taste good?!
    Thank you btw :)
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

It's just a supplement to help hit protein targets if you're not doing so through food. A lot of people have very lofty protein targets...I myself don't pay a ton of attention anymore.

I've never found a whey shake to be particularly filling or satiating...people just use them to supplement.

Oh, i actually have to eat to hit my carb protein goals !!?
    Opps thats not good
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

If you add fruit, grains, etc. to the shake it will most likely fill you up a bit more. For me, I just eat a protein bar in the morning pre and post gym sessions and then usually have my protein (IsoPure Whey Zero Carb) mixed with water later on in the day, or in my oatmeal.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

Opps thats not good

Out of everything, the protein goal MFP has given you should be a minimum. Actually, perhaps the fat goal too because fat is needed for healthy hormone production and protein is needed to keep your muscle mass as you lose weight.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

Opps thats not good

Out of everything, the protein goal MFP has given you should be a minimum. Actually, perhaps the fat goal too because fat is needed for healthy hormone production and protein is needed to keep your muscle mass as you lose weight.

So i should eat more than what MFP has for me?!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

Opps thats not good

It depends on your goals. You should at least try to hit what MFP has for you.

The reason why I said 'it depends on your goals' is because people who are looking to build muscle usually consume more protein and that is why they turn to supplements like shakes, as sometimes it is difficult to get that amount of protein in food alone.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Options
    Hey everyone
    So i was wondering
    Thanks in advance

Opps thats not good

It depends on your goals. You should at least try to hit what MFP has for you.

The reason why I said 'it depends on your goals' is because people who are looking to build muscle usually consume more protein and that is why they turn to supplements like shakes, as sometimes it is difficult to get that amount of protein in food alone.

Thank you so much for the clarification <3
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I try to mix it up but the same general theme; 50mg protein powder, frozen fruits, cup of milk, a spinach/kale mix and ground flax. I drink it around 6 and don't get lunch until 12-3 depending on the day. I take a hard boiled egg to get me through on days I don't get to eat until late.
  • hayleyf6051
    hayleyf6051 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was told that as a general rule you should have between 1-1.5g protein per kg.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You bet it tastes good. I mean, strawberries and peanut butter maybe not but most protein powders are flavored and sweetened.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I drink a 4 cup (1 quart) chocolate protein shake each morning, which includes protein powder, soy milk, an egg, a banana, creatine, psyllium, and ground flax seeds. It's 395 cals and is composed of 36g protein, 34g carbs and 12g fat. It's easy to throw together in the blender, is more than filling and provides me with a good start to the day.