Working out at the gym or at home

Options
For people that have tried both working out from home vs working out at the gym which has given you better results.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    At home.

I have a full gym w/power rack, over 1k in bumper and iron plates from 55# down to 1/4#, 5 different types of bars plus farmer walk handles and an adjustable pair of dumbbells (50#@); a dip, sissy squat and GHD station; a spin bike and a rower. Also have a 200# tractor tire, a 50' battle rope and a pull sled w/an extra 180# of iron plates in the backyard.

Can work out any time day or night for as long or short as I like.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    We have some decent equipment in our basement but not as good as at the gym, and of course much less variation. I def get better results at the gym. When I go. Now that I have a workout partner I go regularly, sporadically only before then.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I work out at home. Have never had a gym membership in my adult life. Have been consistently been logging food and exercise since April and am down 20 pounds. All I have is a heavy bag, double end bag (new), a stand for bar dips, a treadmill and a mat. Use the treadmill for a 30 minute walk at the end of main workout.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I'd say if you have the right equipment, you can do anything either location. I got great results both places... but my results were far and away from nutrition. I'm now at the gym as it gives me a destination, equipmet and machine variety and a little motivation by way of seeing and being seen.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    depends what you're like. as a person, i mean. your muscles aren't going to care if you worked them in a gym or in your own living room; they'll respond the same way to whatever level of stimulus they get.

so it comes down to where you work harder/more effectively, and i think that's a personal thing. i'm pretty introverted, but i don't think i'd lift as hard or as consistently if i were just doing it around home. and i like the sanity check/reality check/ideas/form examples i get from having other lifters to watch. ymmv, but that's me. oddly enough, i sometimes feel like the extraverts that i see in the gym would be making more progress if they had to do it at home. too much socialization potential for them in a gym :p
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about knowing which place motivates you more and allows you to lift the most weight. It might even be contingent on what phase of training you are in. For me, if I'm just focusing on power rack lifts like squats and deadlift (as no guy is in my rack doing "curls"), home is the best place. But it also depends on the weather as my gym's in the garage. However, when I need variety and some A/C, the gym is perfect.