How long did it take for you to adjust your eating habits?

Options
I just started my fitness pal, and I never realized how many calories I was actually consuming. I usually end up in the red because I go out for dinner and underestimate the calories an item has. I was just wondering how long it took people to adjust.

Replies

• keishamarie4
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago and I am still new to everything. What I find helps me tho when it comes to eating out is too check how many calories everything is before I get to the restaurant. This helps make it easier for me to decide what I am getting and how much to eat of it. Hopefully it will help you.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    As soon as I started using MFP I adjusted my eating habits to fit my calories. If I am going out to eat, I look at the menu beforehand and plug the calories in to make sure I have enough. I am usually quite a bit under my calorie goal and I have eaten out and eat everything I want to - just smaller portions of it.
  • clancie518
    clancie518 Posts: 40
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago and I am still new to everything. What I find helps me tho when it comes to eating out is too check how many calories everything is before I get to the restaurant. This helps make it easier for me to decide what I am getting and how much to eat of it. Hopefully it will help you.

sometimes they have menu's from the place your eating at online.. maybe you can pick before hand and check out the calories.. in my case, if they don't then I eat half of it...
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This definitely takes some adjustment. What I did to start off was just logging the calories so that I got a good idea of what I was eating. After about 2 weeks, I tried to make healthier decisions--whether it's getting the "lite" version of various items, or just eating smaller portions of things. Measuring things with a scale, or measuring cups REALLY helps. And yes, you may feel hungry sometimes. When I started, sometimes I wouldn't count things (tehe). Sometimes I'd just take a bite of something I REALLY wanted, just to have a taste--and I didn't count it. I still do that though :)
    Another thing to consider is your water intake. Make sure you drink 8 cups atleast! This helps a lot! If in between meals you are hungry, drink a cup or two of water, or try a healthy snack. Most of all though, take it one day at a time. It took me about a few weeks, roughly.
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I'm not completely new, but I still have problems estimating and distributing my calories throughout the day. Either I get to bedtime with too many uneaten calories or am frantically finding a way to exercise because I have no calories left. I can't plan my meals a day ahead because my schedule is insane. I never know what time I will get to eat or what I will have in the fridge.
  • prahke
    prahke Posts: 1
    Options
    I am having a hard time with the going out to eat part too. I am great on my calories everyday, but the sodium is kicking my butt! The one time I have gone out to eat, I was lucky it was an Applebee's so I just chose one of the under 550 calorie meals that is labeled on the menu. If you look for places that may offer that on their menus, I think that would help you. But again, take it from me the sodium is crazy high no matter what when you go out to eat.:wink:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a week or two to start adjusting to 1200-1400 calories at first...but also other categories like sodium were beyond the minimums which I've had to adjust over time. Especially when you start drinking so much water, at first it seems like a lot but now it seems really easy to drink the 8 glasses and now I'm up to 10 a day. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a week or two to finally get used to the dieting.