Weight Loss Rate Guide

Options
Hello!

I've been searching the forums for the information but can't find it and it's driving me bananas!

I'm looking for the recommended weight loss rate depending on how much a person has to lose i.e. Choose 2lb for X amount, 1lb for Y amount.

If anyone can find it/copy and paste it into here then you'll be doing me (and my brain!) a massive favour!

Xx

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only "rule" I'm aware of is no more than 1% of you body weight per week...that said, keep in mind that could still result in a pretty substantial deficit that may or may not be suitable to you in terms of adherence, etc.

Technically, I could lost about 5-10 Lbs and be super lean and I could lose at a rate of about 1.8 Lbs per week safely...but sure wouldn't want to...I'd be miserable with that low of a calorie target.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a chart for what you're looking for. I think its more of a "well how fat are you?" situation. The fatter you are, the more weight you can lose safely per week.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Actually there is a chart. It floats around every now and then. Ask "Dianethe geek", she is great at pulling out all that essential info. Or try a search. Best
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This might be what you're looking for:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/61706
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This used to get posted often when I first came here.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75lbs to lose 1.5lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40lbs to lose 1lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 25lbs to lose .5lb/week is ideal
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    This used to get posted often when I first came here.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75lbs to lose 1.5lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40lbs to lose 1lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 25lbs to lose .5lb/week is ideal

I've heard this before (and the link posted upthread is super useful, too). But does anyone know where these numbers came from? I know that every person is different, but how did these get established as the sort of general "ideal" - what's the reasoning?
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    @jkal1979 That's the one! Thanks to everyone for responding - knew I could count on my fellow MFPers as always!