What is the Best Fitness Tracker?

Options
Hey guys! I am looking to get a fitness tracker to use during workouts. I'm into fashion so I won't wear it all day everyday, just while exercising. I want one that tracks heart rate to have a more accurate calories burned. My workouts consist mainly of crossfit and running. Suggestions on the best fitness tracking watch?

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If it's just for working out, I have one that has a chest strap, so they are more accurate than just a watch. The brand Polar makes a lot of them, but there are definitely more brands out there. Mine is a few years old, so I am sure there are better models out now.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 3. It looks good enough to wear all the time.

But a heart rate monitor isn't a calorie counter. The really good ones (that use HRV and not just a simple pulse rate) do a better job but none of them is perfect.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you're running then a Garmin GPS would be the best bet, but best depends on a number of factors including your price point.

Vivoactive is good at the bottom end of the range, Forerunners up the rest of the way. Felix is good but expensive for what it is.

Crossfit isn't easily quantified so I really wouldn't bother. You'll get a lot of recommendations for consumer grade Polar HRMs, but for Crossfit they're a waste of time. Approximate based on time.
  • brockhenry
    brockhenry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Charge, which is a pretty basic model. I'm pretty sure it underestimates calories for Crossfit.

I can walk 30 minutes to the kids school and burn 200 calories. 30 minutes of 100% effort Crossfit, 89 calories.

I'd rather it underestimate than overestimate, so I don't mind really.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the issue you may have is that crossfit involves a lot of weights hitting your wrist area, such as kettlebells. These will damage any device worn in that area.
    you can wear a bluetooth chest heart rate strap such as a polar H7 which will pair to your phone and give you a calorie assesement with the polar beat app.
    for running i think garmin are the best, you could use a garmin 235 which has a built in heart rate monitor
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A fairly reasonable running watch from Garmin Forerunner 25 uses a heart strap, has GPS. Price point on this is 139.99 (bundle with HRM).

I used fitbit charge and even a garmin vivosmart for running but does not give you running stats you need.

You can use it just for when your running or crossfit or wear all day and it be over all activity tracker.

edited to add: this is not a fashionable piece of jewelry :( .
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd say garmin Fenix3. Get the hr version or pick up a scosche rhythm+ HRM to go along with it.

The forerunner 230 is nice too.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch is good for fashion plus fitness at the same time. Just my opinion.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have an Up2 by Jawbone and I love it! My friend was visiting who has a Fitbit Charge and she was getting way more steps than I was and we were doing the same thing. I had her wear mine with hers one am and I think hers was way off the chart. Up2 doesn't monitor heart rate, Up3 does.
  • bocedos2
    bocedos2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a polar m400 and love it. I use it for the calorie count and it will tell you how much body fat % is lost from the calories burned. I looked into alot of different.brands and found this has the most accurate and straight forward use in my opinion.