Giving Up Red Meat...

Options
Hi all,
I've read that giving up red meat is good for weight loss as long as you eat other healthy proteins in its place. I've decided to try it but I was wondering if anyone else has done it or had success from it?

Replies

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Red meat tends to be higher in fat, so swapping it for leaner meat in the same quantities will naturally lower your calorie intake. That said, 90% of my red meat consumption is venison which is extremely lean. I *personally need the additional iron that venison affords me over chicken breast (12% rda vs 5% in 100gr)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    KCBrown315 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've read that giving up red meat is good for weight loss as long as you eat other healthy proteins in its place. I've decided to try it but I was wondering if anyone else has done it or had success from it?

The debate on "red meat" is ongoing, but surprisingly, my doctor actually recommended I should consume more of it.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat things that you like and just modify how much of it you eat.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of red meat and the cuts I do enjoy tend to be the leaner cuts but I do enjoy a nice juicy filet!
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was always told the best diet was to eat as diversified as possible and everything in moderation.
    Each food has its benefits but eaten in big quantities can be a source of problems.
    In order to get all the benefits and minimise the negative effects eat red meat one day then white meat then fish or eggs.
    Eat different types of fruits and vegetables during the day.
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
    There is no need to exclude any food if you can eat it in moderation.
    The only foods that need to be eliminated for some people are the foods that trigger binge eating.
    Your diet needs to fit your lifestyle in the long-term. Don't punish yourself.
    Lean red meat is fine.
  • KCBrown315
    KCBrown315 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips guys.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Red meat has no weight gain or loss properties other than the number of calories it contains. So, as long as you meet your calorie goals, you can eat red meat and lose weight!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    KCBrown315 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'd never give up my roast beef and yorkshire pudding, or a nice medium rare filler steak!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Nope can't say my life will be any better sticking to "EAT MOR CHIKIN"
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I do eat it. I've lost 85lbs so far, so it hasn't affected my weight loss.
    Usually we tend to see this type of question about dairy, as there is a lot of misinformation out there. The bottom line is, no individual type of food is bad for weight loss (unless there's a medical condition involved) - only the overall amount of food. If you like red meat and it fits into your calorie goals, no reason to cut it out.

If, however, you decide it is no longer for you, ground pork, chicken, black beans, or turkey are perfecty viable options for making hamburgers, tacos, etc...

Also, certain types/cuts of red meat are lower in calories than others. If I make something with hamburger, most of the time I buy sirloin, as it has the lowest fat and calorie content.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We eat red meat 1-2x a week in our house. For a while there i was using chicken for just about everything because I had always heard it's "better for you"...and yes, it's a little lower in fat....but typically you aren't saving much by swapping it out. I try and get the lowest fat ground beef when I buy it and one day decided to do a comparison of that and ground chicken breast and with the exception of just a few grams of fat....there was almost no difference!
    Also, when we have steak my husband LOVES ribe year, which is very fatty. I typically get him one that is more marbled and mine is a little less but then after its cooked I trim the fat off (not a fan of it anyway but some are lol).

We also eat venison quite a bit at our house and it is very lean meat..so yummy :)

I personally couldn't give it up...we need variety!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Our budget limits the amount of beef we buy, so we tend to buy wild fish, wild shrimp, US pork and New Zealand lamb. After 15 years, I am sick of monster, mutant, cardboard, naked, chicken breasts so we have switched to thighs, skin on. I had a "chicken melt down rant" at Costco looking at frozen chicken breasts a year ago.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    We eat red meat all the time and have lost a ton of weight. You just need lean cuts and fit it in your macros/calories. To each their own but I love it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it... love burgers and steak way too much. You can still lose and eat red meat.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a while when I was younger because I just couldn't stomach handling raw meat and the microbiology of it kind of disgusted me. Anyways, I didn't lose weight because I was eating the same amount of calories in a day. Many of my recipes were very casserole-like and required a ton of prep and I just became tired of eating that way. I eat meat again--I just don't eat it every day--a nice little filet, grilled to perfection, with a side of veggies makes a very nice calorie-conscious dinner!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eating red meat, with its high fat content, is very satisfying and may keep you full longer than a low-fat sknless chicken breast. At least that's my experience. More calories, sure, but full for much longer and end up eating less.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have switched off of red meat (for the most part) for ethical reasons, mostly because of the water that is needed to raise such animals (water to grow the crops they eat, plus what they need to drink to survive). You could argue that doctors say it is bad for heart health, but that is only for the non-active. For active people, that argument is neither here nor there.

The battle of losing weight has nothing to do with the meat, but how much you can master your body's hunger. Certain foods promote less hunger throughout the day, and others promote fullness. Which foods (collectively) or nutrition rations are best for weight loss depends on the person eating the food. Red meat will not help or hurt your ability to lose weight. Your mind, however, will.

Generally speaking, my experience has been this:
    higher fat content = higher calorie meals= fewer meal times
    lower fat content = lower calorie meals = more meal times

In the end, though, a particular food will not decide whether or not you can lose weight.