Have a strength training/toning question

Options
Hey so i always do cardio and would like to get some strength in. I have dumbells and a kettlebell. My issue is I have no idea what the best excersizes are. I am looking to tone everywhere but def want to get my arms more tone.

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am not one to know what to do either. I have collected a lot of The Firm videos.....some include weights and cardio mixed, some are weights only. I love them!! I do them 3x a week, and make sure it is a full body workout each day. I also do Insanity on the other 3 days and squeeze in some spinning too. I love them! And they tell you what to do....so you don't have to think about it, just do it! Look at their website, there is a lot to choose from.

Good luck!
  • robjuliew
    robjuliew Posts: 13
    Options
    Try some Firm workouts, they combine cardio and weights, you will see results fast.
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Go to www.active.com good advise there.
    Youtube has videos you watch and learn from.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I believe you can get a great workout using your own body weight. I have been doing BodyRock.tv workouts for awhile now and have gotten a lot stronger. They're free too :)
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is awesome!!!
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    Push-ups and pull-ups! They will work all of your arm muscles, plus chest, abs, and upper back. Those are the only two upper body exercises I do and my friends comment all the time on how good my arms and shoulders look.

For push-ups: Start with knee push-ups, then negative push-ups (lowering down slowly from your toes, then putting just your knees down to push back up) and eventually you can do full push-ups from your toes.

For pull-ups: Start with body rows, with a broomstick between two chairs. Get your shoulders under the bar with your tummy facing up and bend your knees so your torso is parallel to the ground. Use your arms to pull yourself up and lower yourself down slowly. After a few weeks of that you'll probably want to get a pull-up bar and an assistance band to work the same muscles in a more challenging way. You can gradually decrease the amount of help you get from the assistance band.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just saw this.....
    Maybe it'll help.

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/tank-top-arms/
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try checking out Youtube.
    There are many great kettle bell and dumbbell workouts.
    However, always best to go to a gym where there are trainers. There is lots of potential for injury with weights workouts. A gym trainer may cost you some $ but a session every 4 - 6 weeks will help you develop a varied routine that will help you accomplish your goals.

Note also that there are a lot of non-weights oriented exercises that will help you tone. Push-ups, crunches, squats and lunges are all moderately self limiting and will strengthen and tone. In addition there are lots of pilates exercises. But again with pilates it is better to work with a certified trainer as there are risks for injury.

There is a web site that also has a smart phone app for 100 push-ups and I think 100 sit-ups (crunches). These are great strength exercises.

Good luck and have fun.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    today i bought a free weight, as i'm looking to do strength training next. i added bicep curls to my daily regimen.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much you all have helped me so much, i am looking around on you tube and some other links u guys gave and eventually want to get a trainer yto make me a stregth workout when i can afford it (we just bought a house so tight now lol) thank you all again!!!