Break day

Options
I'm wondering if it's ok to have a break day/ day off where you don't have to feel guilty for not working out or sticking to your goals for one day a week?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rest days are important in any exercise routine.

i look at my weekly calorie goal and try and stay 100-200 cals under goal monday -thursday so that i can eat a little more friday/saturday.

i don tfeel guilty when i dont exercise if i need a rest day, and i don't feel guilty if i over eat occasionally!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There are days I don't feel like exercising, so I don't. There are days I go over my calorie goals. No guilt felt here. So long as this doesn't become your new habit there is never a reason to feel guilty.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think 1 day of rest is important. For me, that day is typically Friday. At most, I do yoga or walk the dog. I do not splurge on food 1 day each week...maybe once in a while for a special occasion. When I do a long run, I burn lots of calories, so I've earned a treat, but burning all those calories makes me super hungry. However, i stay within my calorie limits.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    your body needs rest days - at least one day a week where you allow your body to recover. I workout 5 days a week but have no scheduled workouts on weekends - I stay active, but I don't go 'all out' like my weekday workouts.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask a similar question. I do about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of exercise a day (walking, strength training or aerobics) but the rest of the day I'm not very active, is it still important to have a rest day, or is my body rested enough from not being active other than exercise?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Two rest days a week from training here. Completely guilt free, although they are normally a mental enjoyment far more than a physical need.

Now, on those two days I'm frequently up and moving most of the day, only rarely do I have a true do nothing day.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I schedule a rest day for Sunday every week (and count my workout-week starting Monday). But, if I don't feel like working out another day...I'll just skip it and make that day my rest day. I'd say that more often then not, I'm working out on Sunday. Zero guilt.

And if I'm really feeling the need for 2 rest days in a given week...then I take them. I figure if I'm working out 6 days a week MOST weeks, then 5 days a week occasionally won't hurt anything.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I need my rest days and they are very welcome events for recovery. No guilt applied.

I really hate injuries and feeling fatigued more than I hate rest days.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always have 1 or 2 rest days a week. However, I still feel guilty even though it is important for your body to rest and rejuvenate.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It is beyond okay.
  • squarewheels66
    squarewheels66 Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Take a look at any serious training programme whether it's strength or endurance training and rest is built in. Not necessarily rest days but much lower intensity or switched between upper and lower body.

Training is

Stress -> adaptation -> performance gain

Adaptation requires rest and nutrition. If you train too hard you won't be able to go hard enough in 'hard' sessions to make gains.

It is possible to 'rest' whilst continuing to exercise with low intensity sessions. This requires discipline (HRM helps)

Matt Fitzgerald's '80/20 Running' is very informative persuasive in this regard.

If you are just exercising to create a calorie deficit with no other goal, you still face the risk of boredom/fatigue/sustainability.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    I take but do not schedule my rest days; usually 1-2/wk. They are obviously needed and, more often than not, I am demonstrably stronger after I've taken one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    food and fitness shouldn't make you feel guilty regardless...you're doing it wrong.

I have scheduled rest days...they are just as important to my fitness as the actual work. I eat well for the most part...and sometimes I go out for pizza...or like today I'm going to the zoo and I'm going to have a frito pie...no guilt at all...it's not really all that relevant to the whole of my life...