Zumba class - how much is too much?

Options
mialsya
mialsya Posts: 188 Member
I started going to Zumba two weeks ago and I love it. I enrolled in a class through the university that's $35 for 5 weeks/1x a week ($7 a class). The gym I go to is starting up Zumba classes 3x a week but they are charging $10/class on top of the monthly membership fee. You can pay per class so you're not paying for sessions you're not going to, but that seems a little steep to me. I'd like to be able to go more than once a week but $20 or $30 a week for a fitness class is way too much for my small budget. I love going to Zumba and get a GREAT burn from it, but I don't want to pay that much.

How much do you pay for your Zumba classes? Just curious.

Replies

• PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its at my gym 2x a week but its free. I wish they had it more. I think there are some zumba videos online? Maybe you could incorporate those?
    It is a great burn!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Classes at 24 are included in the membership, and since there are a ton of clubs near me I could basically go every day if i wanted to. Which is nice.
  • LisaStanley500
    LisaStanley500 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been to ones as cheap as $5 a class , some $10 a class & one that had a punch card system where you paid $50 or $60 bucks & got so many punches and a free class when your card was full. (i didn't do it, cause I can only go sporatically), however my classes were not at gyms, but, individuals who taught in independant studios.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    My gym charges $2 a class...$10 per class seems steep for a gym you're already a member of! That's a bummer.
  • JadeMarie78
    JadeMarie78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Since it is an activity that you love to do and it is helping you work towards your goal, maybe you can spend the money on the class and sacrifice another one of your expenses for a while.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The 2 places I go for Zumba both charge $8 a class, but one place offers discounts if you buy multiple classes at once. I got $4 a class when I bought 40- which is a little expensive up front, but lets me go to class 2-3 times a week.
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You should check out some local dance studios in your area. Most of the ones in my area offer unlimited classes for around $30 a month.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    For that price you would probably come out better just ordering the DVD's online. That way you can do them as much as you want and when it's convenient for you!
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Since it is an activity that you love to do and it is helping you work towards your goal, maybe you can spend the money on the class and sacrifice another one of your expenses for a while.
    Cutting back for me would be not paying the rent, car payment, car insurance, or not buying groceries. *lol* My husband and I are both full time students and the only reason we have a gym membership is because it's only $15 a month for both of us combined.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    At my local Zumba studio, they charge $5 per class or $45 per month. Monthly works way better for me!!
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The dance studio that my four year old takes classes at charges $40 a month for unlimited adult dance fitness classes, which includes zumba, ballet, jazz, tap, and belly dancing.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay more than $5 a class. We already had an xbox, so when we got the kinect, the Zumba game was a no brainer. It has paid for itself already.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    $5 per class and well worth it. My gym doesn't offer any classes which sucks, but luckily we have a Zumba instructor here in town who does it 2x per week at this price.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I go at least twice a week, but it is included in my gym membership fee. Which is pretty expensive, lol.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i do it through my gym, so i get 5-6 a week for 36 a month
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    My husband and I have a joint membership to the local university's fitness center. All classes are included and always SOMETHING available! Zumba is offered between 3 and 4 times a week, different times of the day. Similar classes (TurboKick, BodyPump, and Hip Hop Jams) are good subs too. I say find a fitness center that includes the classes.

Another option, you can buy a Zumba DVD Set for around 80, which would pay for itself after 8 classes, obviously. The only thing about that is you miss the atmosphere of everyone in the class, which sometimes makes it a little easier to do.
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Last night Amazon had the DVDs on sale for around $54. Check it out it may still be onsale.
  • dramaligre
    dramaligre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should check local churches too, sometimes they have classes for free once a week. Our church in GA did :) You'd think if you pay a monthly gym membership it should be included!!!
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i go to a studio and i pay 60$ a month for unlimited zumba, pilates, ballroom dancing, and much more classes. they have zumba every day & i got every day so im paying a little under 1 per class, because i also go to pilates, and a lot more classes they have there. i am fortunate to have a studio like that close too me! <3 hope you find something that fit your budget!! zumba is great, i LOVE it!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I go to the community center here for all my my classes. I pay $22.50 a month for unlimited classes and usually do Core Fusion 2x/week, Zumba 2-3x/week, Zumba Toning 2x/week, Bootcamp 2x/week and occasionally a spin class thrown in.