Getting shorted with strength training calorie burns...

Options
MRegimbald
MRegimbald Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you get your strength training calculated into your "Daily Diary". I don't do very much cardio. Even the battle ropes aren't shown in the menu. Another post I found said to go into the cardio area and search out your activity (if you can find it). Let's says "Squats" but it want any cardio inputted by "your weight" and in minutes and not reps or or the weight you're lifting... being new to this, I find this a bit of a deal breaker for this app. My food counts are over in certain areas because I get no credit for exercise; and I go hard. I have to peel off my shirt with difficulty in the locker room most days. Has anyone figured out a way around this? TIA.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's under cardio, and it's not that much brochacho.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Search for "strength training" in the cardio section.

Yes, it is based on minutes.

Difficulty with sweaty shirt removal was discussed in this thread yesterday.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about tracking weight lifting. I figure whatever steps I get on fitbit are enough for that time period.
  • MRegimbald
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I found a generic "Strength training" under cardio, is that what you mean? If so, hoe exactly do you you use it? If you're at the squat rack with 175 lbs and you're doing, let's say 8 reps, it might take you a minute. Is that what you enter? One minute and 175lbs?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MRegimbald wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »

I found a generic "Strength training" under cardio, is that what you mean? If so, hoe exactly do you you use it? If you're at the squat rack with 175 lbs and you're doing, let's say 8 reps, it might take you a minute. Is that what you enter? One minute and 175lbs?

Total time for the strength work out. First squat to last curl, in other words.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's not that much burn anyway. *shrug*
  • MRegimbald
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Search for "strength training" in the cardio section.

Yes, it is based on minutes.

Difficulty with sweaty shirt removal was discussed in this thread yesterday.

lol. The Under Armour is a little easier than some shirts to get off... I can gauge how hard my workout was by the difficulty level to remove my shirt. :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do strength training for an hour - I log an hour of strength training and get about 240cals.
    (It's based on typical METS and your weight.)

Keep it simple and don't overthink something you can't actually measure the calories for.
    It's really not that crucial to be precise.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't really burn that many calories. The fact that you're sweating isn't indicative of calorie burns. I can run in the summer and after a 3 mile run be soaked through and run in the winter and finish 6 miles and still be mostly dry.

If you're going to use MFP's calorie estimates keep in mind that it's looking at the actual minutes you were lifting and not the rest periods in between otherwise you're going to give yourself too much credit. I lift for about an hour and give myself 90 calories for it. I'd rather underestimate than overestimate because my body doesn't care what I put down in my diary and it's going to show the truth.

• MRegimbald
    Options
    Thank you. That helps. I was definitely overthinking it. I should consider adding a cardio day instead of 5 morning of all weights perhaps...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That helps. I was definitely overthinking it. I should consider adding a cardio day instead of 5 morning of all weights perhaps...

It's probably not a bad idea. Strength training is great for a lot of reasons but there's something to be said for having good cardiovascular fitness, too. I, personally, run and lift on alternating days.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Mix of both will do a body good! :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It's not worth worrying about. Typically a moderate lifting routine (depending on other factors such as weight lifted, your own body weight, reps, break time) will not be much more than 100 cals per hour of lifting. It's really only important if, for example, your a petite female that is pretty close to minimum caloric deficit guidelines. Just chalk it up to a little extra and just track your cardio if you do it or just eat at the caloric level you have from your settings. I never include strength training in my calorie count and I can do some pretty extreme routines sometimes.