I lose more when I'm not trying...

Options
This isn't something that has happened once, but a few times before.

I will be using MFP, counting calories, going to the gym 5 times per week for 60 mins per day, cutting out soda and fast food, etc and I won't lose anything. Then I'll stop trying and eat what I normally would and do "light" exercises like swimming (without effort) or playing pick up basketball and I will lose weight.

I re-started my lifestyle change about a month ago. I went strong for the first 2 weeks then lost steam and took a break. For the past 2 weeks I've been eating whatever and didn't go to the gym once. I weighed myself and lost 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks, whereas when I was using MFP and on my healthy kick I didn't lose anything.

Why do I lose more weight when not trying, as opposed to putting in tons of effort?

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Have you logged what you eat when you aren't trying? While the foods might be unhealthier, it might work out that you are actually eating less calories. I don't know about that for sure, but it seems like the most obvious possibility to me.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    dude. same thing happens to me... i don't understand my life. i lose some on here too tho. but i lose easier when i don't try
  • twerps4jesusjo
    twerps4jesusjo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is that muscle weighs more.. so if you are not building it, you may be losing it. Just a thought....
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calories are set to low?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you won't keep losing by not trying...my body does the same. I think it just might be good to mix it up a bit. Now I diet in spurts and take breaks (but not pigging out, just not being obsessed). I think it shocks the body into responding.:huh:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Could be a decrease in stress.
    I have found sometimes being so obsessed with entering MFP and exercising regularly that I have increased my stress levels sometimes on a subconscious level. The scale doesn't move at all and I say screw it, (not really still enter calories and exercise) but I don't go as strong.
    I have also found that although the scale hasn't moved and annoying as it is, I am losing inches and overall it is about being healthy.
  • yadayooo07
    yadayooo07 Posts: 11
    Options
    If your calories are too low during your "healthy" periods to compensate for the exercise you are doing, then it's possible you are putting your body in a panic and causing it to hold on to every ounce you consume. When you aren't trying, you are eating when you are hungry and until you aren't hungry anymore... It's possible that when you feel like you are eating off plan, you are still eating well enough.

Also, apparently, stress has a big effect on your body so if during your times of healthy eating and working out you are stressing it too hard you could be setting back your progress.

just a few thoughts.