Need to increase my workout intensity - looking for suggesti

amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Hey all!

I am about 6 months into this journey and I have an issue. I don't think I am pushing myself as hard as I need to. I have graduated Couch 25K and am now jogging 3 days a week, so I know I am pushing myself with my jogs because I am SLOW. I'm looking for suggestions about the rest of my workouts.

I'm wondering if I need to change things up. I have devised a 4 day a week running schedule, which includes a slow run, tempo run, sprint training and HIIT. My non running days are typically a legs circuit, where I do lunges, squats, leg press, hamstring curl and calf raises, then cardio for 30-40 min. Arms circuit I do on my run days.

On Saturdays, I do plyometrics/body weight training, which I happen to enjoy. I have recently added a weighted medicine ball to make these exercises more difficult.

What suggestions do you have? I have been reading up on a lot of different bodyweight training ideas and am wondering if I need to incorporate these into my workouts more? Just increase weights on my lifting? Both?

It may sound sadomasochistic, but when I am done with a workout I want to feel like it was a heck of an accomplishment. I'm not in shape enough for P90x or anything like that, but I want to push my body so that eventually maybe that will be an option. Because I have never been a runner (until now - thanks C25K!), those workouts are still always an accomplishment. Up until a few months ago and despite playing sports, I had never run a mile, much less 3 and now I do 3 miles 3 times a week.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Replies

• sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    I found that when I'm doing my own routine I work hard but I don't push myself. I have now hired a trainer (again, after taking a 7month break) and I know it isn't affordable for some people, only reason why I can do it is because we do trades. ( she trains me and I massage her in return) However if you can afford it they will definitely increase your intensity, and give you some pointers on what you can do on your own and make a plan.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    The first thing I added in after running was a round of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I found it to be hugely effective, and a great intro to more strength training. It'll help your running too! I went straight from 30 day shred to P90X (which was my first thought for you, based off of reading your current exercise list!)

If you can get through a round of 30 day shred, by the end of it, you'll totally be ready for P90X! (as an aside, I bet you already are... there are so many ways to modify that program!)
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    First of congrats on your accomplisments! Awesome job! Next, in addition to changing up your execise regimen you should invest in a good HRM if you haven't already. There many to choose from & many different features that can be included. Polar is a good one to look at. Get one that has a Chest strap to monitor your Heart rate. The better ones will improve your workouts & take you to the edge via heart rate monitoring & work out Zones.
  • amsparky
    Thanks guys!

@sugarbeans - a trainer def isn't in the budget and I actually used to be one many, many eons ago. LOL I have actually taken to watching the trainers train while I am running, so I can make note of the different exercises. ;)

@swinginchandra - I actually have Shred and have done a round of level 1 (did it for 15 days) and level 2 (2 rounds of 15 days each). I do ok and make it through most of it, but I get sick of doing it every. single. day. and hearing the same tone of voice every. single. day. When you did it, did you take rest days or just go straight through?
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    If you are into bicycling, maybe you could find a local cycling club and do some club rides. They usually have free rides, so the only expense would be your equipment and also maybe a small membership fee to the club if you feel like joining. There are always some fast riders, and just trying to keep up with them can really amp up the intensity. When I ride on my own, I push hard, but not near as hard as trying to keep pace with a strong rider or riders. You may want to visit a locally owned bicycle shop in your area and see what's out there. From your post, it sounds like you are really doing quite well with your workouts so far! Good luck and good health to you.
  • amsparky
    First of congrats on your accomplisments! Awesome job! Next, in addition to changing up your execise regimen you should invest in a good HRM if you haven't already. There many to choose from & many different features that can be included. Polar is a good one to look at. Get one that has a Chest strap to monitor your Heart rate. The better ones will improve your workouts & take you to the edge via heart rate monitoring & work out Zones.

Thanks - I received one for Mother's Day and LOVE it!! Only issue I have with it is that I get so darn sweaty that I have to wipe it off in order to have it read properly. Today I actually accidentally undid the chest strap while running and was able to get it connected back without stopping.
  • jeagirl
    jeagirl Posts: 17
    P-90x is great :smile:
  • amsparky
    Biking would be AWESOME. I love riding my bike, but would need to get padded shorts or something. My sit bones hurt for days after a short ride.

And P90x scares the hell out of me. Seriously. I'd LOVE to be able to do it (and afford it, which I can't right now anyway) but that is kind of my end game in getting to my goal weight. You know, in my little weight loss fantasy world I have created. LOL
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Biking would be AWESOME. I love riding my bike, but would need to get padded shorts or something. My sit bones hurt for days after a short ride.

Oh definitely padded shorts are worth every penny. In fact I have found that the more pennies I spend on them, the higher the quality, and the better the ride. I would also strongly recommend helmet and gloves. Oh, and if calorie burn is a goal for you, just an FYI, riding at a decent clip is REALLY intensive. Today I logged 60 miles in two rides, 17 mph avg., and the total burn was 3943 extra calories. Faster than I usually ride but wow, what a workout.
  • amsparky
    3943?!?! That's amazing!!! Nice job! :)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    If you wanna try P90X, try it! You say you are not in shape enough for it, but isn't that the point of this question? Anything you can easily do is not going to give you the feeling of accomplishment you crave. Do as much of P90X as you can. Otherwise, your workouts sound great.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Thanks guys!

@sugarbeans - a trainer def isn't in the budget and I actually used to be one many, many eons ago. LOL I have actually taken to watching the trainers train while I am running, so I can make note of the different exercises. ;)

@swinginchandra - I actually have Shred and have done a round of level 1 (did it for 15 days) and level 2 (2 rounds of 15 days each). I do ok and make it through most of it, but I get sick of doing it every. single. day. and hearing the same tone of voice every. single. day. When you did it, did you take rest days or just go straight through?

I went straight through it, but I definitely got sick of it. (That's kinda the way I have to do things, commit to something, and just do it... no breaks or else I won't make it.) P90X is better, cause it's a huge variety of workouts. So seriously, if you can do 'ok' at 30DS, you can do P90X!!
  • amsparky
    Well, I chatted with hubs last night about P90x and we are considering it. He actually did it while he was losing weight, so hopefully soon it will be my turn! :)