Binged again

Options
I'm so ashamed :( I've been doing so well over the last two weeks trying to eat normal but then my weighin day came and I sabbotaged myself again. A four day binge and everyday I say it's the last but then these urges come and i mindlessly swallow any food around me. I feel i negated the two weeks worth of effort. Im worried I wont be able to help myself tomorrow again and ill fall back to my old habbits :( nobody around knows about this as im too ashamed to tell anyone and sometimes i just feel too weak to resist by myself :( Sorry for the whine I just really wanted to get it off my chest. To tell someone who might understand.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A big hug for you. Binging isn't a problem of mine but I do sympathize with what drives it. I think the biggest thing is that you recognize it because you'd need to do that before you can go about fixing it. In order to really stop yourself, though, you need to start addressing the underlying trigger. Maybe it would help to start a journal. When you get the urge to binge, write down how you're feeling and how you think that binging will make that better. I'm not saying it will stop you from doing it but it will start helping you to realize what's triggering it and might help you to be more mindful of the entire situation. It might take talking to a professional to really get to the root of it, but if you aren't ready for that yet it might help for when you finally are.
  • kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Omg I totally feel u I eat healthy all the time and deemed as a health freak by my friends and people around me but they don't know that I will tend to binge my progress away!
  • naurisenkuzens
    naurisenkuzens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! Well it sucks that you binged it for 4 days, but none the less people are made to fail some time to time. You need to get back up on track now! :)

In my opinion you need to stop shaming yourself. So what that you ate too much? Did it feel good? Yes it did. Did you kill/steal? No you did not. Nothing to to be shaming yourself. This continuous binge is coming because you feel bad what you are doing, and then you eat hoping to feel better. Your mind is in rollercoaster. But you have to get inside your head and say, you are not hungry. You probably werent. Just think rationally, what you have eaten, and realize that you are full. The binge is going on in your head. You have to get inside it, and say, hell no, I ate good food and I am full.
    Its people nature to fail when we have restricted ourselves from something. Every person in world gets eating urges, it is just how much we can control it. I havent hear from anyone, that he has not had a sudden crave for some food. People have emotions and needs and we cannot just take it out from our diet.
    Probably you have restricted yourself too much, and that is BAD. Add some bit more calories(fat,protein recommended) in your diet. You probably are eating too little and then you just broke down.
    Also include something that you like(candy or whatever) - but understand this - your body does not need it. Body receives full nutrition from your diet. All other sweets are to satisfy your mind - so you need to get to this part, that you must control your mind.
    Hope this helped at least little bit :)
  • dolezalovaeli
    dolezalovaeli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. I think I did much better today. Still feeling on edge but I managed today. One step at a time...
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We're only human. We make mistakes sometimes. The important bit is to forgive yourself for the four day binge and move on. If it doesn't become 5, or 10, or forever, you're winning the long game.
  • JimmyBoombats
    JimmyBoombats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your only human. The time to start again is now, brush it off it's over and done with. I keep BAGS and BAGS of sunflower seeds in the shell around me. When I get that feeling that I am going to eat mindlessly, I grab the sunflower seeds and crack and eat them one by one. That has helped me over and over again. You would be surprised at how little you eat over an hours time. Wishing you the best, Jimmy B)
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, always - one day at a time. I'm a binge eater as well - you are NOT alone! What helps me is focusing on tracking my food. That's why MFP is so enormously helpful for me! I have a deal with myself that I will track everything (unless I'm on vacation). I give myself permission to eat literally anything I want (and I do!), but I enter it into the tracker. When I see it written, and the associated calories, it helps me make better choices. I've lost 69 lbs this way, one day at a time. And exercising. Exercising helps. I do it first thing in the mornings and I work up a sweat. Having done that, I then think twice about "wrecking my hard work" by eating a bunch of stuff I don't need.

You did the right thing by posting here. Keep doing that! Sending hugs and good wishes. You've got this!
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well I have certainly been in your shoes myself. What or why did you binge? Perhaps from there I will be able to help you.

Something I did was sorting food as good and bad...

Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet and once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box, we throw our hands up saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can.

This leads to punishment, which then leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself - that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t.

Adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” This brings me to my next point…

4. Always practice moderation.

You can eat whatever you want, just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this – it’s like the 11th commandment. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but this allowed me to still get my “fix” so I wouldn’t binge.

Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate than from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Let me know:)
  • dolezalovaeli
    dolezalovaeli Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas and support. I'm emotional eater so the highest chances for me to binge are when I'm already down and not feeling strong enough to stop myself. I'd like to chip in with advice to someone who might read this later.
    Since I'm an emotional eater, it is sometimes hard to rely on myself to stop me. I therefore feel safer having something else to rely on during the hardest times. I purchased a necklace on Etsy a while back and it just arrived the next day after I posted this. It's a simple pendant with "One step at a time" written on it. So far it has helped me - when I feel I might binge i grab the necklace. I know it might sound stupid but it feels like I'm accountable to the pendant and it makes it much easier for me than being accountable just to myself.