Time of the month question for ladies

Options
2»

Replies

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually cramp on the first two days and then I'm fine. Working out actually does help with cramping. My only problem is I'm also so bloated the first two days. If my strength training falls on that day I have to deload on squats because I cannot brace my core like normal haha.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have painful heavy periods due to fibroids and find walking helps a lot, though I can never venture too far from home "just in case" I can still get some form of exercise and walking does help alleviate cramps.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Has anyone thought about an IUD or the one of many ablasion procedures that are available? I'm not having any more children, hubby is fixed, and I'm kind of tired of the whole period thing. Thoughts or experiences?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Has anyone thought about an IUD or the one of many ablasion procedures that are available? I'm not having any more children, hubby is fixed, and I'm kind of tired of the whole period thing. Thoughts or experiences?

I was offered this as a solution, but I don't like the idea of an IUD inserted or other procedures. It would have to be a lot worse for anything like that for me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i wish i had known about the psoas muscles back in my period years. i used to get cramps that would spread from the centre outwards grand mal epilepsy, and i see now that those were where some of the worst pain came from. a little preventative release work in the day before they came on might have helped to keep them a bit more contained.
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

not my reason for doing it, but the milena iud or whatever it's called did work out fine for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am weird that I get really sluggish two days prior, really really fatigued, sleepy no energy, and headachy, the day before, but the day I start, I actually lose excess water weight gain and my energy is through the roof.

Interesting all women are vastly different. :)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with cramps
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options

If you want less cramps and lighter periods, DON'T get the paragard copper IUD. But, that being said, I've had it for a year now, and my periods have finally gotten regular, and cramps fewer, and I'm glad to not be on hormonal BC... but the last year suuuuucked.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options

For ablation there is no guarantee your period will go away. I was looking into it at one point but opted to leave things alone. I have found the more I exercise the better it is. I feel bad for those who have so much pain. :(
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason (no one (doctors) has been able to give me an answer yet), excessive exercise triggers my periods to start.

I first discovered this in my 30s when I started randonneuring (ultra-long distance cycling). There I'd be mid-way through a 400 km bicycle ride, and all of a sudden out of the blue my period would start. And it wasn't due for another 2 weeks.

This started happening quite regularly, even on rides as short as 150 km.

Finally my dr put me on "the pill" for several years which settled things ... but then I developed blood clots. Turns out "the pill" will kill me, so that's out.

And now, I'm in perimenopause so my period is coming any old time, and of course, exercise still triggers it.

I usually have 2 days every 3 weeks or so where it is really bad, and, as I mentioned above, I try to keep my activity a little lighter on those days. Otherwise, I can't let it stop me or I'd be stopped half the month.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cardio actually helps me. I just don't do it as intensely on first 2 days
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wear a diaper to the gym frfr and do something light..the diaper along with the pad of course was mandatory when I took karate... Kicking and jumping in all white. Working out makes me feel good even during that time. It helps my body so much
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    For whatever reason (no one (doctors) has been able to give me an answer yet), excessive exercise triggers my periods to start.

I first discovered this in my 30s when I started randonneuring (ultra-long distance cycling). There I'd be mid-way through a 400 km bicycle ride, and all of a sudden out of the blue my period would start. And it wasn't due for another 2 weeks.

This started happening quite regularly, even on rides as short as 150 km.

Finally my dr put me on "the pill" for several years which settled things ... but then I developed blood clots. Turns out "the pill" will kill me, so that's out.

And now, I'm in perimenopause so my period is coming any old time, and of course, exercise still triggers it.

I usually have 2 days every 3 weeks or so where it is really bad, and, as I mentioned above, I try to keep my activity a little lighter on those days. Otherwise, I can't let it stop me or I'd be stopped half the month.

I just started excercising more, for the past three weeks or so, and my period started a week early. By exercise, I mean I am taking 3 - 5 mile walks almost every day. The cramps have been off and on for three days, as is the bleeding. It is strange and annoying to be on a sort-of period that is all drawn out, probably because I am on the pill and the cycle is not over yet. I hope it doesn't turn into a regular thing like you describe. :(
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend magnesium strongly enough. I take it for improved sleep and muscle relaxation but find I get almost zero cramping when I'm taking it, as opposed to pretty bad pain when I'm not.