thyroid problems any advice

Options
i ve had a thyroid problem for 17 years. i would like to know if any one else is dealing with this and if you have any
helpful tips.

Replies

• mikelifter
    Options
    I was diagnosed with an inactive thyroid about a month ago. I have read that low carb is the best thing for hypothyroidism, so I went on low carb about 3 weeks ago. I go back for blood tests next week, I will let you know what the findings are.
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and have had it for years. I have gained alot of weight these past couple of years, and within the past month, i have joined this site in need of help. Everyone here is awesome. They give great support!! I have since lost 12 pounds, and couldnt have done it without them and my will power to push away from the foods i know i shouldnt eat. I have been eating alot of salads (chef salads included). I eat hamburger patties with vegetables, I eat fiber one oat and chocolate bars for snacks, have been drinking lots of water, and exercising as well. If you need to talk more, or just need encouragement, feel free to add me, I AM
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and have had it for years. I have gained alot of weight these past couple of years, and within the past month, i have joined this site in need of help. Everyone here is awesome. They give great support!! I have since lost 12 pounds, and couldnt have done it without them and my will power to push away from the foods i know i shouldnt eat. I have been eating alot of salads (chef salads included). I eat hamburger patties with vegetables, I eat fiber one oat and chocolate bars for snacks, have been drinking lots of water, and exercising as well. If you need to talk more, or just need encouragement, feel free to add me, I AM HERE for YA!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as hypo-thyroid as well as having PCOS. My doc has me on metformin and Armour thyroid. The nutritionist has me on a low-glycemic diet which ties in nicely with the low carb diet.

Its really not that hard once you figure out what you can eat. My suggestion is go to a nutritionist...so they can put you on the right track.
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    Ughhhhh, i have no idea why this went on there twice!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. I've been fighting it for 16 years. I've lost 103 lbs over the last couple of years so it can be done : )
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    All the women in my family have hypothyroidism. I'm sure it's affected me over the years, but it seems as long as I never forget to take my medication at the right time of day it doesn't seem to be to bad to deal with. So that's my best suggestion, just get yourself on a strict schedule with your medication and don't go off it. Good luck!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It has taken me over 2 years to get to where I am today....sllllllooooowwww but steady. The best advice I can give you is to get a Bodybugg or a BodyMedia Fit device. I have the Bodymedia Fit and I know my body and metabolism now better than ever. It will tell you how many calories YOU and YOUR thyroid affected metabolism really burns during a 24 hour period and you will know exactly how many calories YOU need to eat and are burning with exercise. Eat all your exercise calories...I discovered that my biggest problem was that I was undereating and slowing my already slow metabolism down. Now I eat plenty and lose at least a pound a week on average. I can't recommend this enough!!! Good luck on your journey!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    hypothyroid since 18 months old and also have PCOS. I am thirty years old, so that gives you an idea of how long I have been living with it. Feel free to add me.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism and have been sticking to the low carb lifestyle and have lost about 95 pounds in the last year best of luck.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism and have been sticking to the low carb lifestyle and have lost about 95 pounds in the last year best of luck.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroid meds for under active for about 20 years now. The thing I found most is that my energy was pretty low before I started and it helped balance that out. I think I had lost a few pounds initially (but of course gained them over the years, just because of my bad habits!)

I take my pill with my very first sip of water in the morning just so that I don't forget. It's best to take it every day at the same time.

One thing that I learned from a health segment on the news was that if you take calcium supplements, you need to take them 4 hours apart from the thyroid meds. The calcium will bind with the thyroid meds and cause it inactive. Some milk in cereal isn't an issue, but the large dose of calcium causes the problem. Hope that makes sense!
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    I was diganosed with a hyper thyorid a few years back. I am probably a little different from all others though. Mine is totally regualated with meds because my thyroid was damaged during radiation theropy from cancer (Hodgkin's Lymphoma). Mine was able to regulated with meds so my experience may not help you but it could help someone. Since having it regulated with meds I have been able to loose weight. I gained around 50 lbs in about 6 months time and then steadlly kept gaining until I was told what was wrong. Since then I have had to change my lifestyle. I have not had to cut out carbs like I am seeing some people change but I have changed the carbs that I eat. I try to eat only "whole" carbs. That is whole wheat breads and grains plus veggies that contain carbs like brocolli. There are a lot of options that can help. But my main thing is that I have to take the meds for the rest of my life because you have to have a working thyroid to live. If you do not get the hormone fromt the thyroid that you need it can lead to major heart problems in later years.

I don't know if this will help you, but if someone has gone through what I have maybe it will help them. Have a blessed day.
  • jeagirl
    jeagirl Posts: 17
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my advice is find a natural doctor. I went to two doctors (1 OBGYN and 2 family doctor) before and they were not very helpful. In fact, one doctor told me I couldn't lose weight because I was getting older. I am only 34 years old. Make sure to research your problem, find good people to support you, and get help from a natural doctor who knows more about hormonal imbalance.

Good luck

Jeagirl
  • loulou_z
    loulou_z Posts: 6
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism due to radiation thersapy 5 years ago which is regulated through medication. I had been on a low carb diet for years (normal diet). last year i was sick of not being able to shift the weight even though i exercised 4 times a week (and had a 18mth old to run around after) i was advised that i wasnt eating enough carbs. from changing carb intake i lost 7kg in 3mths (which doesnt sound like much, but it took me 9mths to lose 4kg previous to this) i have other medical issues (from chemo and radiation) so i would suggest a consult with a dietician to get a tailored plan. my GP was also excellent help also.
    i have joined this site coz i now need to lose my pregnancy weight (and i still dream of getting back to pre cancer weight!!):happy:
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and have been on Synthroid for almost 7 years. When I first was diagnosed and started treatment, I expected the weight to just fall off like magic w/no effort on my part. Guess what--that's not what happened. All the meds do is return your body to its normal state...you still have to do the work. Once that fact sank in, I did go from over 170 to 115 over the course of about 4 years, losing and plateauing, then losing again and plateauing again. In the last 2 years or so, I have been slowly gaining and am now back up to 140 lbs--I'm 51 and dealing w/a whole new set of hormonal issues, but I have to believe I can find an answer for this also.

My advice would be to educate yourself as much as possible. You will need to be an advocate for your own health and knowledge is your best weapon. Visit the website "Stop the Thyroid Madness", check out their list of sites and reading material, and surf the web and your local library as well. This is not a simple disease. If you seem to be still having trouble in spite of all your tests being "normal", I would especially recommend the book "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal?" by Dr. Dhatis Kharrazian--my local library had this so I could read it before deciding whether to purchase or not.

Best wishes to all here--we CAN get control of our situation!

Edited to add: As another poster mentioned, calcium supplements should be taken at least 4 hours away from Levothyroxine or Synthroid. Iron falls into this same category. There are other meds and supplements that should be taken separately from thyroid meds, too, such as antacids. This site http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/levothyroxine,synthroid.html offers a spot to type in the name of a med or supplement and then shows you if there is an interaction w/your thyroid meds. I was not aware of these things in the beginning either, so I hope someone here may find it helpful also.
  • KhloeBear
    KhloeBear Posts: 1
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism - my levels were unreal: 8.84! I am now medicated, but the meds are not working enough to lower my levels, so my Rx was recently tweaked up a quarter gram. In between the time I was diagnosed and my 6-week blood test was taken, I gained 5 pounds! I am now gluten free to see if that helps, I work out 2x weekly with a personal trainer, and 4-5x weekly on my own. I try to burn over 950 calories a day in exercise, and I succeed in doing so, but still, I don't lose any weight! What gives???? HELP!!!!