I Really Hate This Part of Weight Loss

Options
ItsMariii
ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
edited September 2016 in Motivation and Support
The fact that I was initially losing 2lbs- 2.5lbs a week minimum when I first started MFP ( 32 days ago) and now that I'm getting closer to my goal.....I'm losing 1.5-1.7 lbs a week. It's a real downer for me.

I would wake up and weigh myself every morning (I still do) and would see that I dropped .4 over night, .8 by that evening, or 1lb the next morning and so on. It was insane! . It was a daily thing with the occasional fluctuation of maybe one stalled day during the week.

I'm trying not to obsess about it, but I genuinely am pissed off and wish I could find am immediate way around this. I've seen and heard many times that weight loss isn't linear, but if I'm slowing down now 7 lbs from my goal weight...I'm afraid to imagine how hard it's going to be to set any new weight goals beyond that.

Replies

• lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. That part just feels so frustrating, and it stressed me out in the past. But I guess the only thing we can do is try not to stress over it too much, and find a way to change up our diet and exercise regimen so we don't become too discourage.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1.5 - 1.7 Lbs per week is still a lot. In regards to other goals, maybe make some that aren't about some number on the scale.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try to be patient. It sounds like yours may be an intermediate goal(?) so keep in mind that weight loss usually slows to a crawl once you are close to your final goal, assuming it is within your healthy weight range. At that point .5 lbs in a week is considered a success.

Best of luck!
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Definately be happy with the progress you are making. Losing 1.5lbs a week, or more, is fantastic, and a lot of people would be super excited to achieve that. Sounds like you have heard this already, but you need to be at peace with the fact that this is not a race. Keep doing things right and you'll get there. It may take a few weeks longer, but it'll happen. Stay at it :)
  • kellymarie143
    kellymarie143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I literally just posted a status about the same thing. The pounds were dropping like flies for me! I was easily losing 5 lbs a week. Now I lost maybe a 1 1/2 in the past month after losing 39 pounds. The less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it. So that is the reason why it's happening to us now. I find that when I take a couple of days off of dieting and exercise that it seems to spark something inside my body to work at the weight loss again. Maybe you could try it. I also do mostly cardio in my workouts but when I do the circuit training, that also helps me come out of a slump. I totally understand how you feel though. It's so frustrating because youre working SO hard and getting very little in return. Two hours at the gym every day isnt what I want to do to only see 1 lb difference lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You should be proud of your progress, you should be proud of your hard work. Being stressed, obsessed and genuinely pissed off (your words) can only compound your scale weight goals.. Patience is your friend and you are lacking quite a bit of that right now. I hope that you ease up on the self torment cause the last pounds are slower than ever. :)
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration! I was losing pretty rapidly (for me anyway). 10 lbs in 30 days or so. My scale hasn't moved more than .2lbs in a week. I'm still 34 lbs from my goal and it has slowed down so much! Its devastating and I want to quit. But I have my goals and I'm not a quitter!

I don't think you are a quitter either. Maybe make a few tweaks in your intake or workouts? I started insanity this week, and so far, no change from the scale, but I am starting to see some muscles!
  • ItsMariii
    edited September 2016
    Options
    :D Thank you all for giving me some really good feedback!

It is frustrating and a little scary for me ...it does create some anxiety (of not being able reach these goals) but most of all I'm not a quitter. Patience has always been an issue of mine, I'm gonna have to learn how to work on it.

I've been achieving things the "lazy" way so far , simply counting the calories, planning my meals and logging everything before I eat. I haven't invested in a food scale yet, and haven't added any excercise outside of the walking I do at work. I wanted to make progress in a way that doesn't immediately change my lifestyle but something that works for me in my current state to be sure I can continue on naturally after I've reached my goals.

When/if the day comes that I need to put in real work (tighten up on logging ) and up my activity outside of work, I'm going to make sure I'm ready to go for it. It was just a huge shock to see things slow down and perhaps in the future steadily decline.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose weight slowly, than be hungry & I mean actual hunger (not thirst, boredom, etc.). I am attempting to rid myself of 1.5 pounds weekly, thus far but this week, I was hungry; so I'll possibly lose 1 pound instead. That's fine though because my esophagus tightens, when I get hungry & that's a torture, I try to avoid!
  • ItsMariii
    Options
    I totally understand! I literally just posted a status about the same thing. The pounds were dropping like flies for me! I was easily losing 5 lbs a week. Now I lost maybe a 1 1/2 in the past month after losing 39 pounds. The less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it. So that is the reason why it's happening to us now. I find that when I take a couple of days off of dieting and exercise that it seems to spark something inside my body to work at the weight loss again. Maybe you could try it. I also do mostly cardio in my workouts but when I do the circuit training, that also helps me come out of a slump. I totally understand how you feel though. It's so frustrating because youre working SO hard and getting very little in return. Two hours at the gym every day isnt what I want to do to only see 1 lb difference lol

A 39lb weight loss is amazing ! You go girl.

About that spark that happens in your body when you take a break from the caloric deficit. I've noticed the same thing!
    Once or twice on accident when eating about 100-250 calories more than were allowed for my calorie intake, my metabolism JUMPSTARTED. Initially I thought I just had to accept that I messed up a little that day and miscounted my calories and maybe even set myself back a few days.

After waking and weighing myself the next morning, I was down 1.1lbs! How was it even possible? It made no sense to me (and still doesn't) but I logged everything and moved on.

I really wish someone could explain the science behind this[/b]
    I believe some call it Refeeding but I still can't understand how it genuinely works, although I have been a real witness to it.