Low carbs high fat

Options
I have been losing 1 pound a day for a week,is this appropriate or should I up my fats?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    One pound a day is not appropriate, however no one can say for certain what the issue might be without some more information. So let's back up - how many calories are you eating per day? What is your starting weight/height? What is the weekly loss goal you set up in the system (1 lb per week, 2 lbs per week, etc)? Is this your first week on your weight loss program?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Hard to say depending on how over weight you are, how much you are eating, etc. It is certainly not sustainable. How much of a calorie deficit are you in?
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Should Be Losing 1-2 Lbs PEr WEEK At The Most.. One Lb A Day MEans You Are Undereating...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Did you just start eating low carb a week ago? If so, you are likely burning through your glycogen stores and losing mostly water, especially if your previous diet included a lot of carbs. This will stop usually in the second week and your rate of loss will settle into the more common 1-2 lb per week rate, depending on your deficit. What is your calorie intake like?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It's water weight mostly. You need to increase your sodium. Olives are good for this, tomato juice, have a serving of coconut water also. It is a good source of electrolytes. Honestly this rapid loss is temporary. It will slow down.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unless you are severely undereating, or have well over a 100lbs to lose, that rapid weight loss won't last.

I think I lost close to a pound per day when I first started LCHF. It switched to 2-3 lbs per week very quickly for me, and then tp almot nothing as I approached my goal weight. It will vary. As long as you know you are not undereating, just enjoy it.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lb in the first week of lchf and then it dropped to an average of 2lb per week after that
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It will slow down
    When I started I lost 1lb a day for the first week
    Then I averaged at 2lb a week
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1 week in to LCHF. Really impressed! 1.2kg down, realise this is probably early days. However, considering, I've been successfully on MFP for many years and my weight had then gone up in the last few months and then stuck there, I realised I needed some sort of change up to my routine. So far so brilliant! Coupling LCHF with my Fitbit and MFP, I feel like I've cracked some sort of code! Best part is I feel fantastic, no hunger, loads of energy! Anyone interested check out Diet Doctor website for info.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs the first week of lchf and now on my second week I lost another 4. I do have 100-130 lbs to lose though. I am now averaging about 1 lb ever 3 days. Make sure you are eating enough good fat. And making sure you are getting enough potassium, sodium, and magnesium. And drink tons of water.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's water, you're fine.