eating out--places that offer great choices

Options
2»

Replies

• slk210
    slk210 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to go to red lobster and just eat the snow crab legs with a side of broccoli. I even get a garden salad with red wine vinagerette on the side. I just dip my fork in the dressing and then eat the salad instead of picking up lettuce and dipping into the dressing...Hungry Girl tip. It gives just enough flavor in every bite. More than half the dressing was still left when I was done. I love Applebee's, Friendly's and Subway too. I have a lot of restaurant types apps on my phone and I try to also look things up on the internet if I know I want to go out to eat that day.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat out too much.. but my favs are Applebee's, Logan's Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera, and Subway. I also like a dish at On the Boarder (salsa chicken fresca) but have a hard time saying no to the chips and salsa not to mention margaritas!!! LOL! Basically I look it all up before I get there and decide what I want before I walk in the door. Apps on my iPhone help a lot, and MFP has a lot of the choices already here as well. Yes, they are all full of sodium, but it's mainly on the weekends anyway. Of course, Subway is my lunch of choice while I'm at work... so much better than the BK across the street!!!

I'm like you---I dream of unlimited magaritas with chips and salsa! I have to avoid those restaurants completely--too hard on my willpower. What can you get at Buffalo WIld Wings?
  • chris6515
    Options
    You can eat well almost anywhere if you know ahead of time what your choices are. I always suggest the book, "Eat This, Not That!" It has many national chains featured and the best and worst choices of each restaurant.

I will check this book out. Thanks for the tip!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I eat out too much.. but my favs are Applebee's, Logan's Roadhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, Panera, and Subway. I also like a dish at On the Boarder (salsa chicken fresca) but have a hard time saying no to the chips and salsa not to mention margaritas!!! LOL! Basically I look it all up before I get there and decide what I want before I walk in the door. Apps on my iPhone help a lot, and MFP has a lot of the choices already here as well. Yes, they are all full of sodium, but it's mainly on the weekends anyway. Of course, Subway is my lunch of choice while I'm at work... so much better than the BK across the street!!!

I'm like you---I dream of unlimited magaritas with chips and salsa! I have to avoid those restaurants completely--too hard on my willpower. What can you get at Buffalo WIld Wings?

Usually I get the Honey BBQ chicken salad with the dressing on the side and dip my fork in the dressing for each bite. It's about 530 calories, and yummy. If I feel like splurging and work out that day, I get the grilled chicken wrap with the chips and salsa, but that's 800 cals. Ok if I'm working out, but not if I'm not! There's a chicken sandwich that's not bad either, but not the fries, of course. Any of these still have too much sodium, but I drink a ton of water!!!
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Boston Pizza's delicious alternatives menu has the calories listed on the menu - lemon baked salmon and chopped chicken salad are both around 300 calories, and there's a stromboli and other meals that are also pretty healthy! :)

Also love Subway, it's easy to keep a salad there around 200 cals, I like teriyaki chicken salads with sweet onion sauce (which is fat free).
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    One of my Food Addictions is Chipotle - I would get the chicken salad w/black beans, corn, onions/peppers, cheese, pico do gallo, sour cream and guac... oh, and the chipotle dressing :o)

But - I researched and can still go there for reasonable calories... I was SO glad I didn't have to give it up!!
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read your blog and was so impressed. I have struggled w/a mere 40 pounds. I can't even fathom having to lose 100+
    although I know people do it.
    Im also impressed that you still go on the web site and log in. I give up after losing 10 pounds and then I see how fast I
    can put it back on. I'm wondering if I ever lose the 40, will I stay faithful. I hope so. You are an inspiration.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    One of my Food Addictions is Chipotle - I would get the chicken salad w/black beans, corn, onions/peppers, cheese, pico do gallo, sour cream and guac... oh, and the chipotle dressing :o)

But - I researched and can still go there for reasonable calories... I was SO glad I didn't have to give it up!!

Isn't Chipotle like Moe's? :\ Anyways, that's something I get at one of those burrito places too. Lol. :) I used to get a smaller sized burrito for around 380 cals and then another 200 cals worth of black beans on the side.... Before I realized I could get a chicken salad with some black beans on top for 370 total! I don't even miss the burrito tortilla, and no dressing required if I've got some salsa!
  • chris6515
    Options
    Just found out there is a McCalister's Deli in our area that just opened, so I took my mom there Friday. I asked the folks at the counter for a nutrition guide but they said they don't have one except online. There was nothing on their overhead menu that indicated which choices were low-fat, low-carb or low calorie. To be safe I got the fire-roasted vegetable soup and 1/2 a grilled chicken salad and it was very good. Thanks for the suggestion and next time I'll research online first.