Anyone doing target keto and cyclical keto together?

Options
What are your experiences because i love the feeling when im in ketosis. When i backload carbs however the difference in appearence is night and day from ripped to swimmer body, but I feel terrible with carbs on every category except strength. So i want to know if anyone has found a way to benefit off of ketosis and still manage to have muscle fullness somehow. Thank you

Replies

• OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Renegade Diet?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out this podcast: http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/episode223/

Most big name keto supporters actually support cyclical ketosis and metabolic flexibility. Carbs are needed for a long term healthy lifestyle. Basically you should be timing your carbs to aid in your strength training. If you've been off carbs for a long time it's possible your body forgot how to use them properly which makes you feel like crap. Metabolic flexibility gives you the ability to have your body digest what you choose to feed it (carbs or fat) which is dictated by the demands you are going to ask from it. Does that make sense? I'm still new to the subject and hate giving advice on it - but there is plenty of knowledge out there from top name fitness and nutrition guru's, doctors and scientists. Listen to the podcast.......
  • hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Brushing up on the renegade diet briefly, the skipping breakfast thing i definitely apply. And with the glut4 research ive been a lot more careless about what i eat at night before bedtime as well. It has a lot of factors that i apply to my diet. Im just trying to combine whats out there from u guys to try and figure out the most optimum eating plan. Cyclical keto is very difficult for me to get just right. From a performance aspect less seems to be better and i noticed a week without carbs before a game i have low energy. Carbing up a night before a game is the absolute worst performance of my life. I experienced unlimitted and absolute infinite endurance and power output carbing up 2 nights before a game. Its too early for me to conclude the effectiveness of targeted keto sticking to 40 grams of high glycemic carbs 15 minutes before heavy resistence training. Going with an hypertrophy program this mesocycle with a lot of german high volume training principles. So bottom line how can i gain the most lean mass while not gaining fat and maintain energy levels similiar to standard ketosis. Lol also keep up the cosmetic appearence of a carbohydrate diet constant. Sorry for the excess writing guys
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I am a regular on the Lyle McDonald forums and quite a few people have had great success with an EOD refeed programme. You eat a PSMF diet on rest days and have carb re-feeds on training days.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Sweet never heard of lyle mcdonald. Ill get studying thanks buddy
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Just stay in ketosis if you feel better there. Your gains may be just slightly less but if you are feeling better, why not always feel better? Many bulk in ketosis. It may slow you down a small amount but unless you have a short specific time frame for your gains, you can skip cycing carbs if you wish.

Have you looked at reddit keto gains?
    The Low Carber Daily has a few who are bulking in keto.
    Menno Hesselman is usually LCHF too.

And then there are others like Ben Greenfield and Peter Attia who are LCHF but their focus is on more endurance sports.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Yea ketogains im very familiar with that page. Im gonna run keto for 2 weeks along with german high volume training. Ill keep up with girth and body caliper 7 sites every friday. So far my body is getting DOMS real bad so its slowing down my frequency quite a bit. Im gonna start eating breakfast on days following a workout as well and see if that doesnt put on fat but helps me gain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find L-glutamine helps a bit with DOMS.

Good luck with it.
  • Raptorbh12
    Raptorbh12 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can't run TKD and CKD concurrently. One is carbs after each meal and the other is weekly refers after full depletion.
    Bulking on keto is a myth unless you are new to lifting. Insulin is one of the most Anabolic hormones aside from testosterone and without it, your gains are minimal to none since your body does not "build" without the transporter or heavy machinery of insulin.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Carbs after each meal? Tkd is just 20-40 grams pre work out from what i understood. Ketogains.com is a good source for proof there. Insulin isnt necessarily shut off during keto though otherwise ketoacidosis would kill me.