Any crossfitters out there?

Options

Replies

• hoofingchick
    hoofingchick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so my 'gains' are probably hormonal changes, water retention and fat from a summer of boozey loveliness and lacksey daisical eating!
    If i Crossfit 3 times a week is it ok to switch in a 3 mile slow recovery run and a hiit session on off days? I miss doing those. Or is that over training. I used to do 3 x a week Instanity max 30 and 2 runs.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider a slow recovery run and hiit sessions on off days as over training. If your body really starts to wear out and you lose intensity in your workouts consistently, then you may want to dial it back
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do Olympic lifting, but I don't do CF...I just prefer to do my lifts and I cycle for my cardiovascular fitness. I tried a few boxes back when I was first getting going again and it reminded me too much of my military days...been there and done that...don't find it enjoyable.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I just started taking foundations classes. So far everyone is friendly and helpful and I like the atmosphere, but we'll see. I'm not motivated by competition and I hate being yelled at so if it goes in that direction I'll be out. I'll give it three months to be fair. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I'm interested is because it's been stupidly hard to find someone willing to teach me olympic lifts.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I did Crossfit briefly to try it out, I liked it and the trainer was good about teaching form and watching form, I just didn't click with him and I didn't want to pay for it. I like to mix things up. After I tried it, my personal trainer tried it. He fell in love with it. He now owns a box. If he wouldn't have moved to a different city, I would probably go there, but now, he just writes me 3-4 workouts a week and includes some Crossfit like programming into my workouts. It works out well for me
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Sara1791 Oly gyms are out there but a little harder to find. I've found a few when I have had to look. Out where I am there's Wheaton Barbell & Fitness (http://www.wheatonbarbell.com/). I trained there for a while. Jeff Armstrong is a great guy and solid lifter. I used to travel to NYC a lot and I was able to visit a few there too.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    @Sara1791 Oly gyms are out there but a little harder to find. I've found a few when I have had to look. Out where I am there's Wheaton Barbell. I used to travel to NYC a lot and I was able to visit a few there too.

NYC really has it all - but it doesn't have me anymore. :)

I'm probably using the lingo wrong, but my "box" offers a separate olympic lifts class which might work for me.
  • nikkischachinger
    Options
    I'm very new to crossfit. Completed my gearup program last month and currently go 3 or 4 days a week. To the OP, what other groups did you find to connect with people? Also do you log your workouts in mfp? I'm still trying to figure out how to do that for a workout.
  • theclaw900
    Options
    I'm very new to crossfit. Completed my gearup program last month and currently go 3 or 4 days a week. To the OP, what other groups did you find to connect with people? Also do you log your workouts in mfp? I'm still trying to figure out how to do that for a workout.

I have a old HRM I wear to measure my workouts. I have not found other groups here (yet) to connect. I just recently starting hanging out on MFD
  • theclaw900
    Options
    so my 'gains' are probably hormonal changes, water retention and fat from a summer of boozey loveliness and lacksey daisical eating!
    If i Crossfit 3 times a week is it ok to switch in a 3 mile slow recovery run and a hiit session on off days? I miss doing those. Or is that over training. I used to do 3 x a week Instanity max 30 and 2 runs.

I do that a lot, if I miss a WOD, I'll do a long easy run or bike ride.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love Crossfit did it for a over a year, then my work schedule changed so I just go to a gym now and have a PT. I would prefer going back to Crossfit and hope that I can when I go back to 1st. I loved the workouts and variety it offered!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Love crossfit! Tried alot of things in the fitness world and crossfit is the only thing I came back to and hopefully to stay. As a women wieght lifting and going into the normal gym weight section is very intimidating. Crossfit breaks that fear. Being with a strong group is amazing and the fact that its a community that cheers people on and know each is amazing. Unlike going into a class at the YMCA and not knowing or speaking to anyone. Its more then a workout, its a literally a life changer
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a crossfit noob convert. I took up the challenge to join my son who is a rabid crossfit fan & crossfit blogger. I have to say at 59 years-old, it is the toughest challenge I've ever picked up. I'm looking forward to the rewards!

https://www.facebook.com/metconwarrior/
  • theclaw900
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rhauser44 wrote: »
    I'm a crossfit noob convert. I took up the challenge to join my son who is a rabid crossfit fan & crossfit blogger. I have to say at 59 years-old, it is the toughest challenge I've ever picked up. I'm looking forward to the rewards!

https://www.facebook.com/metconwarrior/

Hey, I'm 57 and this is my second round of CF. I went hard for a few years back when crossfit was just starting. Then I got a little jaded, did my own thing. Now that I let myself turn into a soft suburban dad, I'm back.

• shannon877
    shannon877 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I was a CF addict in 2011-2012, and now I am in a new state with a new clothing size. :-(
    It is time for me to get back into a box and ease into that rower. Because my shape is ROUND like a wall ball.

Please add me if you are sarcastic, witty, and mildly motivating. I can use all of the like minds I can get.
  • brianrhillUK
    brianrhillUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CF for just over 12 months and have lost 30lbs with about 7 to go. I do my own stuff outside of the box too such as weighted runs and burpees for fun! I'm the fittest I've ever been and take part in events run exclusively by ex special forces http://www.thesfexperience.co.uk/
  • ckhovey
    ckhovey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for a month and love it! I can already tell I'm getting stronger and building muscle. I also have lots of goals now, like being able to do muscle ups on the rings. I'm nowhere close yet. Feel free to add me as a friend. Now that I'm done losing weight, I could use some friends with similar fitness goals.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello! I am new to crossfitting (if that can be a verb, akin to hiking or rucking).

Truth be told, I grabbed this groupon for 3 reasons:
    1. I hate waking up to an alarm clock for some self-manifested reason. Most times I wake up to do something on my own, I don't complete it. This class obliges me; if I am a no-show too many times, they might kick me out!
    2. My motivation sucks right now. 9 times out of 10, when I say to myself that I am going to do something, I don't do it. While in my funk, Crossfit can be a crutch for me. Also, it is human nature that we do better together and accomplish more in a group setting, whether accomplishments be communal or individual.
    3. I really don't understand what the hype is either way...I never really paid attention to it, but always wanted to try it to see how it works. I can't knock it or rep it until I have tried it. So, I will mix this up with my lower-carb nutrition intake to see how I can benefit from it to prepare for races next year.

My goals are to get stronger (especially in upper body) and lose weight. I am also training for Spartan Races (Trifecta accomplishment #1 in T-minus 12 days!), so I could use something that simulates that the best. I hate doing f@&%ing burpees.

Cheers!