Sick of being the overweight mom

Hello I am the proud mom of 4 wonderful boys ages 9,8,5,4. I recently had a check up and am on the verge of being diabetic. I am currently 272 at 5'4. I hope to make some new friends who will help me on this long journey I have in front of me. I seriously have emotional issues with food that I need to change any help would be amazing.

Replies

• AMyers8289
    AMyers8289 Posts: 2 Member
    I am right there with ya!! I am a mom of 2 boys ages 10 and 4. I also have 2 foster kids that are 4 and 6. I also have emotional issues with food. If anything stressful or depressing happens I eat!! I am 5'5" and 298 pounds. I have a very long journey ahead of me!! If you would like to add me and go on this journey maybe we can motivate each other!!
  • mrsschalk
    mrsschalk Posts: 3 Member
    Its awesome we have a lot in common I sent you a request :)
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Best of luck on your journey
  • mrsschalk
    mrsschalk Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you
  • PinkNancy
    PinkNancy Posts: 2 Member
    Not sure how to send you a request but I'm right there with you for the exception of kids... 5'3" and same weight... would love to encourage each other if you would like
  • MindfulNat
    MindfulNat Posts: 83 Member
    I'm an overweight mom of 3 kids and had diabetes when pregnant so I really need to watch it and lose that weight. Add me if you'd like !!
  • amandacurtis86
    amandacurtis86 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi I am a mom of 1 who is almost 2. I am 5'4" and 337 as of today. My weight goes up and down. I started at 344.7 last Monday. So feelig pretty good about the drop in weight this week. Last time this year I was under 300. 344.7 was my highest weight ever. Trying to get healthy for me and also my faimly. Go momma's go!
  • eskimommy
    eskimommy Posts: 10 Member
    Hey there! I'm a boy mom too lol. I have 5. They're 8,7,4,1,and 2 months! I'm also overweight. 5foot8 and 248. I had gestational diabetes, and because of my weight I'm at risk of developing type 2. I'll help motivate and be accountable if you do the same for me. :)
  • Bentnotbroken130
    Bentnotbroken130 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm the heavy mom too, have no friends in this town, room for one more? 5'3 193 want to lose 63 lbs pre med weight gain
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Hi, I'm new also and looking for friends to start this with. Feel free to add me
  • crbraun2004
    crbraun2004 Posts: 9 Member
    Good luck
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Feel free to add me! I'm a mom of 4, my sons are 20, 18 and 5 and my daughter is 16. I'm an emotional eater too but my cholesterol was high, heart disease runs in our family and I just don't want to have a heart attack, I figured that my life was worth more than the food that I was putting in my mouth.
  • MyStarsHollow
    MyStarsHollow Posts: 11 Member
    I'm right with ya all. I'll add you girls and we can support each other!
  • loops419
    loops419 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there. Im a first time mom and definitely looking for other moms on this weight loss struggle lol. My son is 1 and man has this first year as a mom been a roller coaster-especially with my weight. When my boyfriend and I started dating i was 5'10 190 lbs-currently im at 260lbs...the biggest ive ever been. Im planning on having another baby in like 1 year n half but definitely dont want to get pregnant at this weight.
  • razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    I'm a mom too with 50-60 pounds to lose
  • BTGee
    BTGee Posts: 2 Member
    Hey, I'm the same. Mum of 3 (11, 8, and 5 months) and the heaviest I've ever been. My cholesterol is borderline and there is a family history of high BP, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Need to sort myself out do I can enjoy my kids without being out of breath. Need to lose about 40lbs
  • jhasselt
    jhasselt Posts: 1 Member
    Me too! Mom of four. Three boys (8,6,2) and one girl (4). I'm the heaviest I've ever been and definitely that fat mom at their events!!! I am an emotional/closet eater! I would love other moms to share meal ideas with! Please add me!!!
  • gb1623
    gb1623 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm a mum off 2 with 100lbs to loose
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    For those of you that are emotional eaters, I highly recommend the book The Beck Solution. Someone posted it here a long time ago and I got it. It is not a diet. It is cognitive behavioral therapy to unlearn being an emotional eater. It is an excellent book, very very helpful, and honestly, until you deal with why you emotional eat and then learn not to, keeping weight off will be hard. Follow this book while you're losing and when you get to maintenance I believe you'll be much more successful. One of the best pieces of advice I've found on these forums has been that book. Best wishes.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    mrsschalk wrote: »
    Hello I am the proud mom of 4 wonderful boys ages 9,8,5,4. I recently had a check up and am on the verge of being diabetic. I am currently 272 at 5'4. I hope to make some new friends who will help me on this long journey I have in front of me. I seriously have emotional issues with food that I need to change any help would be amazing.

If you have emotional issues surrounding food, I would highly suggest you seek out a therapist to deal with those issues. Most methods will fail until you address the mental health aspect.

Now, that being said, don't let it stop you. You are capable of doing two things at once :)
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Hi MrsChalk, I am also a mom of four, plus two in heaven, lost during pregnancy-- boys and girls. I'm not sure how serious your emotional eating is, but I do understand emotional eating to some degree, so maybe this will help: One thing that is so wonderful about using MFP and calorie counting is that you can eat what you want. You don't have to feel like you're depriving yourself of anything. I have found that this has tremendously helped my own "emotional" eating. Obviously we should make good nutritious food choices for the benefit of our health. But if we really want some chocolate or something "indulgent," we can have it. As long as we stick to our calorie goals, we'll lose the weight. I love being able to eat what I want while also losing weight. Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    I'm a mother of two kids and I've been on a weight loss program since June. I'm trying to get to a healthy weight, because I am also sick of being the overweight mom. Plus, life is so much harder when carrying around all the excess weight!

So far I've lost around 15 pounds since starting my program. Losing weight is not easy, but it's totally doable! The weight didn't go on overnight, so it's not going to fall off overnight, but it will happen if you stick to it. Good luck.
  • deedles28
    deedles28 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm married, work f/t and a mom of 3 kids, 9 yo and 6yo twins. We have a busy schedule and I don't have a lot of "me" time. Tired of being the overweight mom too. Would love to have some friends to help me along the way.
  • Hi! I am a mom of 3 boys. Never lost the weight gained with my last 2 pregnancies. Wanted to get into better shape so i can enjoy more activities with them. Then my doctor told me i am pre-diabetic. That was the final push i needed to start making this a priority. I am a newbie here too- this is my first visit to the community forum. Send a request if you want to add me to your friend list and we can cheer each other on!
  • melissa_ky2012
    melissa_ky2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi !!! I am a 5'2 245lb mom of a 6 year old boy & a 4 year old and I too are tired of being that overweight mom. I struggle with emotional eating, bored eating and trying my best to work through and overcome those issues and it's hard because food is my comfort, best friend and is always there for me