Juicing

Options
Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
So I just watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" last night and am very intrigued by the whole juicing idea. My questions are: do you juice, WHY do you juice, what pros/cons have you found in juicing, what kind of juicer do you have/what do you recommend, and do you have any favorite juice recipes? Also - if you have any "success stories" from juicing such as weight loss, curing a disease, no more migraines, etc...please share!

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I thought you were talking about steroids lol
  • Athena413
    Options
    :laugh: Nope...sorry...actual juice! :tongue:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I thought you were talking about steroids lol

LoL, I thought the same thing at first..... :o
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    That documentary is AMAAAAAAZING! Seriously! If you have Netflix, you absolutely MUST watch it.

Hubby and I had already bought a juicer but it was used twice and stashed on top of the fridge. Since watching the film it is back down and we are buying fruits and veggies from the farmers market. We're very inspired by Joe Cross' journey.
  • loveisme
    loveisme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Glad I knew what you were talking about,lol

I watched it too....I've never juiced before,yet have a few friends that have,not to the extent that Joe and Phil did.
    They have The Juiceman and Jack (exercise guru) sell....they swear about the increased energy levels and great tasting juice.
    I paused the movie to right down the recipes that were at the juice bar in NY (Watkins) and Phil's Mean Green recipe.

We are going to order the one he used in the film,going to start of with a 10day juice fast first (after my bday 8/7)...
  • Athena413
    Options

I paused the movie to right down the recipes that were at the juice bar in NY (Watkins) and Phil's Mean Green recipe.

Excellent idea! I never thought to do that!! I'm looking at possible buying the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro Juicer...it's only $70 at walmart.com.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I watched it myself today and loved it. Very intrigued by the juicing idea. Bumping for my info on anyone doing it or has done it:)
  • Athena413
    Options
    I also just found that they have a facebook page...and there are recipes on there. Go "like" their page if you're interested in juicing!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • lfeltman50
    Options
    I don't know if I call it "juicing" really, more of a grinding it up thing lol but I love using my regular blender for berries, apples, carrots, and beets. I make speghetti sauce that way too so that my son will eat vegetables. I put carrots, mushrooms, peppers, the whole deal in the blender with spices and smooth it up. I actually have my son getting his fruits through juices and smoothies because he has a thing about lumps. I have found that even if you dont like a vegetable or fruit, it tastes good mixed with something else. I hate carrots but mixed with apples they are really tasty. Raw spinach mixes nicely too. I tried broccoli and cauliflower...that was foul. The cruciferous vegetablesl(broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels) don't taste so hot juiced in my opinion but you may like it. If you have one of the juicers that leaves pulp in a strainer, you can use the pulp from veggie juices in pasta sauce. The broccoli juice stuff I made was awful but the pulp went into my speghetti sauce and was great! Watch out for sugar tho. Juice has way more sugar than whole fruit since you end up drinking more than you would normally eat solid.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Have dabbled in juicing. However, I cannot throw away all that fiber from the fruit - even into the compost. Seems wrong and wasteful. Also in Wisconsin we can't really get cheap fruits and veggies very often. More of a seasonal thing.
    The health benefits certainly offer an advantage over the standard junk most of us eat but I can't get away from just eating fruit and veggies whole.
    btw I'm from Scotland and we ate the skin on oranges as a kid - how the hell were we to know? Now I just stick to marmalade:)
  • lfeltman50
    Options
    what the heck is the "bumping" about BTW? sorry, I am clueless about stuff like that :P
  • lfeltman50
    Options
    ew, orange skin? lol I did'nt know you could eat that...learn something new everyday!
  • Athena413
    Options
    what the heck is the "bumping" about BTW? sorry, I am clueless about stuff like that :P

When you "bump" a thread, it puts it in your "My Topics" tab so that it's easier to find later if you want to go back and read what others have posted.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Have dabbled in juicing. However, I cannot throw away all that fiber from the fruit - even into the compost. Seems wrong and wasteful. Also in Wisconsin we can't really get cheap fruits and veggies very often. More of a seasonal thing.
    The health benefits certainly offer an advantage over the standard junk most of us eat but I can't get away from just eating fruit and veggies whole.
    btw I'm from Scotland and we ate the skin on oranges as a kid - how the hell were we to know? Now I just stick to marmalade:)

According to Joe's website, the programs they have encourage you to eat whole fruits and veggies still, and I agree with throwing out the fibrous parts seeming wasteful, but I like the suggestion of using it in sauces!

Never thought to eat the skin of an orange...is it good?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever tried juicing, but I sure have sat my butt on the couch and watched the Jack LaLanne Juicer infomercial many times! I'm convinced it's good for you, but I'd rather eat my food than drink it, it's a mental satisfaction thing.
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this documentary. I'm going to check it out!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Here's what we put into the juice we made yesterday...

1 bunch of kale
    1/2 a cucumber
    1 medium green bell pepper
    2 stalks of broccoli
    2 stalks of celery
    2 granny smith apples

It made enough juice for two 16 ounce glasses.

Tonight we're planning on making a fruit juice with farmer's market strawberries, mint, lime, & cucumber, and then maybe another juice with melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew) and strawberries.
  • abzbargs
    abzbargs Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    This is so funny. I've lived in scotland all of my life and don't know anyone who eats the skin of oranges. We know not to because they've not been a rare exotic fruit here for quite some time.

The juicing thing is interesting, I've fancied getting one myself and having one meal a day this way.
  • angelameda
    angelameda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i just got an plan to do my for a snack instead of having one for a meal my snack time have been coming to be high n calories sometime so the or the blender will help me cut out bad snacking habits good luck!