Over 50 and Frustrated

Options
I've begun my journey to lose 30lbs. Before 50, weight loss wasn't easy but achievable with some extra effort. Now it seems IMPOSSIBLE!!! I'm committed to ketogenesis as I have all of the signs of insulin resistance (which if unaddressed leads to pre diabetes and then diabetes). I test each morning to be sure fasting glucose levels are declining & ketones remain high. Things are improving most days (I do have days on this diet where I experience queasiness, low energy - not sure what that's about?). I see improvements in blood work but weight loss is discouragingly s-l-o-w. I am adding additional weight training this week - in addition to walking - to see if I can't improve muscular definition and tweak weight loss.

Cricket in DFW Texas

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Welcome - There are a lot of over 50s here at MFP! Weight and body resistance training (yoga, pilates) and posture exercises have vastly improved my stamina and weight control. Giving up meat and diminishing dairy has kept my blood glucose closer to prediabetic range. Weight loss however only happens when the vegetable portions triple and everything else is just a few bites. The more you lose, the less you need to eat to maintain. Add vegetables, add pickled vegetables, to keep the digestion active. :smile:
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 60, diagnosed diabetic and have lost over 50 pounds in 6 months just by carefully weighing and measuring my food. I am very concious of CICO at all times. I really have not changed my diet that much. I have monitored carbs and am eating more veggies, but not eliminating anything outright. I would worry about narrowing my food choices so much that I couldn't stick with it for the rest of my life.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I only had 10 lbs to lose but it's gone in 4 months. Doctor's orders due to pre-diabetes.

I'm 50 and it wasn't so difficult. You can do it!!
  • Bbiwbkacq
    Bbiwbkacq Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have over 100 lbs to lose. It's so difficult when the mind is resisting. But I'm recommitted to doing this. Life was more fun when I weighed less. After a certain age losing is harder. But I'm determined to do it. I will incorporate weights because they help lose fat.

I know that we all can do it by taking a day at a time. This week I set a goal to log in everyday and complete my diary. Small steps
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I lost my 30lbs when I was a menopausal 54/55yo.
    It took a year. The first few pounds came off at 1lbs a week but for the majority of my weight loss it was .5 lbs a week or less. Completely appropriate for my size and the amount I had to lose.
    I did eat back 75%+ of my exercise calories and,because I was older, made sure I was getting .8-1g protien per lbs ideal weight.

I am 63 now and have maintained my goal weight (5lbs range) since my initial loss.

Count your calories, weigh your food, and keep in a deficit most of the time. Do some cardio and lift some weights (really important for bone and muscle retention as we age) for health.
    It can be challenging to lose weight at any age. Luckily CICO works for everyone.
    Do have a check up to make sure you have no other medical issues that may make losing more difficult.

If you are still feeling queezy maybe bring it up with your doctor. Also make sure your calorie goal isn't too low and that you are eating back a percentage of your exercise calories. A goal of 1lbs a week dropping to .5lbs as you get within 15-20 lbs of your goal would be good.

Make sure your food levels and weighing/logging food are on point before upping your exercise further.

Cheers, h.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Started last year at 60+ (60.5 ;-)) at 220. Now (61.75) down to 185 and have completed my first Half marathon in 2:17:10.

If you want it,
    There it is,
    Come an get it...

The formula for losing weight is pretty simple- Keep calories in under calories burned. Measure, weigh and log.
    Exercise helps but is not necessary. (It helps quite a bit)

Age isn't a factor. Whether, and how much, you want to do what is necessary is a factor.

You can do this.
    We all can do this.
    You just have to go an do it.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What you're talking about is a lifestyle change, and it begins with diet. Keep your program simple and once you find something that works -- stick with it. I just turned 61, and found that's a formula for success.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I look my age! I look awful. But that's not news. Anyway, @jillalvarez524 I've learned how to use mfp to log my food and exercise accurately and honestly and that's all it takes. I've lost 79 lb since January, even in DFW with all the fine Tex-Mex cocinas. You can, too. You'll need a digital food scale.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How slow is slow?

But you are right that to change that rate of loss you need to make changes - adding more exercise is my preferred option too rather than cutting calorie intake.
    I like food and I like exercise too so it's a win/win.

An often neglected area is regular day to day activity, always making "self-propelled" the first option where you can (walking, stairs, cycling etc.). It all adds up and becomes habitual. Spend more time on your feet and less time on your bum basically.

Funny enough I found weight loss in my 50's far easier. The tools and information are so much better plus I have more "me time" now the children are self-sufficient.
  • jxls4
    jxls4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and glad to read all your positive posts! I always say, YES I CAN ! and just go for it! I'm on a mission to stay healthy and keep up with, and enjoy my grand kids! They make my life a rainbow!
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love all these posts! Very inspiring!! I'm 45 (catching up to the 50 and fabulous crowd :-) and I have to track every calorie, work out VERY consistently, eat "clean" (I follow the Primal Blueprint principles loosely), AND...worst of all, almost no alcohol!!! I cannot lose weight anymore drinking my glass of wine or beer at 5 anymore, lol! I don't think I digest it the same as I used to. No fun but it's worth it to me to feel energetic and healthy. Following all this, I am losing my 25 lbs. v-e-r-y slowly. I have actually put away the scale and am trying to focus on one day at a time and enjoying feeling in control and content with my eating and fitness level.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm 57 and diabetic type 2 45 lbs gone from logging, and daily walking. I also eat much lower carb than I did before. It IS HARD work but it does pay off.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have lost 26.4lbs since the end of June with15.6 to go till my goal weight. I haven't had any trouble losing weight so far. I eat the calories allotted by MFP and exercise an hour per day 6 days a week for fitness. It never occurred to me that age would be a factor in my new healthy lifestyle regieme. For me, it's a simple energy equation. Expend more energy then I take in equals weight loss.