Lifting Tires,stair climber question

Options
Just wondering if I do a stair climbet, aka step mill, or flipping tractor tires around at the gym instead of the treadmill or elliptical, is it
Still considersd good "cardio?"

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good cardio.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    For me personally, that step mill is a killer workout every time no matter how many times over the years I've done it, so YES, step mill and tire flipping are both excellent sources of cardio.

Always a good idea to keep variety, however, so if you like (and have access to) the treadmill and elliptical and rowing machine then use those, too.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I walked up 18 floors of stairs today, so yes definitely good cardio.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont think flipping tires is considered steady state cardio like the elliptical is. I think its more of HIT, since you can't really flip tires for 30 minutes straight, I usually incorporate tire flipping into AMRAP circuits which can be an awesome workout
  • billsrule2015
    billsrule2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    For me personally, that step mill is a killer workout every time no matter how many times over the years I've done it, so YES, step mill and tire flipping are both excellent sources of cardio.

Always a good idea to keep variety, however, so if you like (and have access to) the treadmill and elliptical and rowing machine then use those, too.

Do you know how many calories a step mill will burn? I can't find it here on MFP as an exercise listed. Thanks!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i dont think flipping tires is considered steady state cardio like the elliptical is. I think its more of HIT, since you can't really flip tires for 30 minutes straight, I usually incorporate tire flipping into AMRAP circuits which can be an awesome workout

This. Cardio are the things you can do for longer periods of time. Walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, dancing, etc. Other things would be calisthenics (body weight) or resistance training (flipping tires, lifting weights, etc). Raised heart rate isn't an indicator of if an activity is cardio or not.