Half Plate of Veggies!? Say What?

Options
Hi! :)

So, I was wondering how many of my fellow fitness pals grew up in a really misguided food environment? And if you did, did you ever struggle with the new what your plate should look like stuff for balanced eating?

When I was growing up, most of the time the vegetable of the meal was often a starchy veggie, maybe green beans but that was rare. I didn't realize so many wonderful veggies even existed. I didn't realize half my plate should have consisted of said veggies. It was almost shocking to me, but it shouldn't have been haha. I didn't understand how people could possibly do that, until I started making an effort to eat more balanced meals. It's been a huge learning experience, and I still have so much to learn.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not really. Maybe it's because I'm old, but when I was growing up we pretty much always had meat, some kind of starchy veg (bread, potato, corn, maybe rice), and then vegetables. Probably about a third each vs. the half plate of veg, but increasing my portion of veg and otherwise going back to how I ate as a kid when I improved my diet some years ago wasn't too tough. Since being an adult and living in a more metropolitan area (and being exposed to some good restaurants and different ethnic cooking and the like) I do eat proteins other than meat and a much more diverse selection of dishes than we did, though, as my family's cooking was pretty unadventurous (I'd call it very midwestern American).

Anyway, I always thought of this, and the idea that you should have vegetables with lunch and dinner (sometimes it was just fruit with breakfast) was the standard American diet, as it was pretty much how I remember everyone eating as a kid and it's what my mother thought was responsible to prepare even though she hated cooking (I didn't know that until later). Obviously, I was naive or else things changed, probably both.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    We had a vegetable at dinner most nights but often steamed & overcooked. I starred eating more vegetables when I discovered roasting. Now I love most vegetables and eat a whole lot more.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I grew up being taught that I had to eat meat to be healthy and I'd get in trouble for not eating it or pushing as much of it as possible out of my burritos. Turned out that not true. I don't eat it anymore.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We had a family garden in our back yard. My mother taught my sis and me how to prepare the veggies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a vivid memory when I was about six, refusing to eat my peas. Olive green from the can, boiled long enough to sterilize, and shrunken to little shrivelled things. It was a standoff and I think I won.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I was always fed a wide veriety of foods. When i was 10 i choose to become a vegetarian (didnt last long) and my mom went over the top to make it work for me. My household was filled with chips, cookies, snacks, frozen food, and soda. It was also filled with fruits, veggies, protein, and grains. My mom taught me at a young age that life is about balance. If i eat those pizza rolls for lunch i had extra broccoli at dinner.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a vivid memory when I was about six, refusing to eat my peas. Olive green from the can, boiled long enough to sterilize, and shrunken to little shrivelled things. It was a standoff and I think I won.

When I read this, I can smell tinned peas.

Vile!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yes. We had a great big plate of meat and a heaping pile of mashed potatoes or rice and then some afterthought out of a can. I thought I didn't like vegetables, because they all tasted like the can they came in and were so mushy. Turns out I actually like green beans and all sorts of other vegetables. I surprised myself last week by eating and liking kale. People say kale is gross and a chore to eat. They are WRONG. I can't say I eat like I'm supposed to (see my log), but I can say that vegetables are actually not gross and that I'm eating more than I was before.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Most of the vegetables we ate when I was growing up were in the daily soup bowl. When in season, we had fresh lettuces, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, radishes, onions, corn, beans; however these vegetables were more of a garnish to the main meal, providing about 1 serving of vegetable per person. The main meal usually included several forms of cooked vegetable besides the protein. When not in season, many of our vegetables were fermented for storage or canned in glass jars. When I was grown up, my parents had a couple of freezers and then we would be able to have vegetables out of season that had been frozen in small packages instead of fermented or canned. My parents stored root vegetables in a cold cellar so we had potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage, and turnips available for some months past their growing season, and dried beans/peas ... and yes I was brought up on a farm so my parents' grocery shopping usually consisted of staples that could not had on the farm.

PS ... and squashes, pumpkins ... yumm
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My mom made a huge point of every dinner having a veggie side dish in addition to whatever starch. She also paid attention to color and type, so she'd sometimes realize when it was too late and apologize "I'm sorry dinner is so beige tonight." She taught me corn and potatoes don't count as veggies. We had a lot of carrots, broccoli, cabbage. Beets, cauliflower. Yes to green beans sometimes, but lightly steamed. What wasnt' fresh was frozen rather than canned (mom's dad worked in public health in the 1960s and was a big proponent of frozen really early on).

For the record, my mom is the result of Home Ec classes in the 1950s. She was born during wartime and her mother was big in the Victory Gardening movement in their town. My grandma had a big garden every year until she got sick the year before she died.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite experience, my mum piled the veggies on our plate when i was a kid, plus made us drink her fruit and veggie juice concoctions regularly :sick: Even now, if i go stay with her on weekends she makes me eat my veggies, and i'm 44 (but still her baby) lol
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    My mom made a huge point of every dinner having a veggie side dish in addition to whatever starch. She also paid attention to color and type, so she'd sometimes realize when it was too late and apologize "I'm sorry dinner is so beige tonight." She taught me corn and potatoes don't count as veggies. We had a lot of carrots, broccoli, cabbage. Beets, cauliflower. Yes to green beans sometimes, but lightly steamed. What wasnt' fresh was frozen rather than canned (mom's dad worked in public health in the 1960s and was a big proponent of frozen really early on).

For the record, my mom is the result of Home Ec classes in the 1950s. She was born during wartime and her mother was big in the Victory Gardening movement in their town. My grandma had a big garden every year until she got sick the year before she died.

Again environment matters. Here lots of people thought "frozen" was equivalent to stale. In my wife's country they spoke of "fresh frozen" and understood that fresh food didn't quickly deteriorate after freezing it. Part of my job involves the marketing of frozen veg, and it is quite clear from shopping trends, that only a specific segment of our population uses this type of product.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see soany who grew up with their parents instilling a knowledge and love for veggies! I know when I have kids, I will be doing that.

Also nice to know I'm not alone when it comes to the meat making the meal growing up, or maybe the starch. Haha
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had the opposite. My mom was a vegan (and so was i) for the first 5 years of my life. We then transitioned into eating eggs and milk, but i've been a vegetarian my whole life. All of my meals were "health food". I remember my mom used to buy my sister and I the packets of kool-aid flavoring that you're supposed to mix with sugar and water and she would just put it in a giant pitcher. We were drinking essentially colored water thinking it was kool-aid (believe me, the first time i tried real kool-aid i almost died from shock).

I didn't have soda until in my teens and "junk" food was never around. It was a SERIOUS treat if I had something like candy or ice cream. These were generally limited to my birthday or christmas and in very small quantities.

edit: p.s. when i moved out on my own and could eat all the junk food i liked, THIS is when i gained like 20 pounds. I ate ramen, cheese fries, cheese pizza, pasta roni, ranch on everything, ice cream, bean burritos, you name it; damn near every single day!

Now after 5 years of maintaining my weight loss i eat a combination of both diets. I eat "health" foods, but i also eat some of those "junk" foods i love.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    We were a meat and potatoes household. We had lots of fresh veggies in the summer, but winter in the midwest is all about chili & cornbread, thick stews, and giant roasts. It took me years as an adult to convince my parents that peas and corn are starches, not vegetables.

To this day, i dread going back to my fiance's family's house for thanksgiving. My MIL tends to make one or two huge meals and we eat them all week. Last year that consisted of the following: pulled pork, brisket, ham, macaroni and cheese, "cheesy corn" (it involves a block of velveeta and two blocks of cream cheese), mashed potatoes, bread, and cookies. For four straight days I did not eat a single vegetable. I was so sick on the flight home...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A meat, a starch, a veg and a "salad." The "salad" was in its own little side dish and was not necessarily what one might consider a salad today. Among the favorites was a slice of canned jellied cranberry sauce on a leaf of iceberg with a dollop of mayonnaise on top. Jello salads abounded also served on the ubiquitous leaf of iceberg and the glob of Hellman's. A half a canned peach (in heavy syrup, of course), iceberg, mayo. I'm dating myself and my mom's cooking, aren't I.