Weighing myself a little to often?

Options
I have a feeling I am weighing myself too often. I probably jump on the scale atleast 3 to 5 times a day. I don't record my weight lost until I have maintained it for 3 days or so, but I am mildly obsessed. I weigh myself when I get up in the morning, before I leave for work, when I get home from work and then again after I work out. It is interesting to see how much my weight fluctuates throughout the day. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I can't help it. It kinda helps me stay focused.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!! I still have to resist myself. I was never happy with the numbers so I try to go days and have found better progress!
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. My husband scolds me for it, I know it's not right, but I cannot help myself. I just have to know!
  • Chrissy2627
    Options
    I do the same thing! I have found that sometimes when I am feeling like binging it helps me to remember why I am doing this.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    i check my weight in the morning and at night. If my weight is at a good number at night, I know its going to be even better in the morning most days. :) I only count the morning weight towards my journey.
  • JohnnyMART
    JohnnyMART Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way... I am always amazed at the fluctuation. Also, it keeps me on track. I look forward to waking in the morning and jumping on the scale. :laugh: Never thought i would say that! haha!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    I guess it doesn't hurt but it sounds a little obsessive. I've lost a few pounds after working out but what does that mean? water. Go for how you feel and what your goals are.
    btw, for guys we hop in front of the mirror and check our biceps and abs...3-5 times a day ha ha ha
  • cass89
    cass89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i do it too but i'm trying get myself off it. it's liker an addiction. i'm trying to stop myself and only weigh myself once a week. i think it's bad, personally, because your fluid can increase and decrease throughout the day and the week
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    God I love MFP!!! So good to know I am not the only person who does this and many other things! So awesome to not feel alone in my oddities!!!!!
    Yes, I admit it, I get on the scale some days every time I go to the restroom. I find that it helps me to stay on track.
    I don't get down if the number isn't what I wanted to see, I just keep it in perspective.

Thanks for posting this!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't getting upset or discouraged by these fluctuations, I see no problem with it. I weigh every time I go in the bathroom just to see. It doesn't bother me if it's gone up a little, I just want to know how my body reacts on the short term to the things I do.

If you really think it's getting out of hand, maybe try cutting it down to once or twice a day. You can still see the daily fluctuations without the obsession.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I do the same thing! Especially since I started tracking my sodium intake.

It's probably not a good thing, but you're not alone in the obsession :)
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Options
    I do the same thing! I have found that sometimes when I am feeling like binging it helps me to remember why I am doing this.

Same with me! I weigh myself multiple times a day, but I only record my first of the day (aka right after I've woken up)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day, after I use the restroom, before I eat anything. As far as I'm concerned, with eating during the day, going to the bathroom and sweating, anything else is just going to cause craziness. After sleep, at least in my eyes, there has been bodily stasis for awhile.

Anywho, you need to do what works for you. And as long as you don't get upset by the ups and downs of weighing multiple times a day, why not?
  • Xandralexa
    Xandralexa Posts: 87
    Options
    I check the scale every 4 or 5 days. A week doesn't go by without me checking at least once. Sometimes I checked and it stayed the same, but I have to check because I want to see my progress. When there is no change, I just push myself harder.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Andrea and I'm a recovering scale addict :) I used to be just as bad and say I did it to keep me on track but after some serious talks with my trainer I realized that I need to focus on living healthy through eating right and exercising, not basing it on the scale alone. I finally realized the only way to stop was to remove the temptation so I gave my trainer my scale. It has actually been a huge relief not obsessing about the numbers! Instead I put all my energy in eating what fuels my body and working my butt of in the gym. I still weigh in every Monday but I do it at the gym with supervision :)
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was JUST going to post something about this! I am a total scale junkie, but I tend to get a little too worked up over my fluctuations. My husband hid my scale so I would stop. I'm okay with it, since all my goals are behavior-based, and I'm thinking about just sticking with my little "streaks" and weighing in every 5 weeks, since that's what the MFP predictions go off of (I figure the comparisons between MFP's prediction and my actual weights will let me know if I'm on track or not). Anyone else do this?
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    OH goodness. I weight myself waaaaay too often, and if it doesn't bother you than go for it but for me it is not a good thing. I get really discouraged and even though I understand fluctuations I can't help but let it get to me. My boyfriend says I need to put it away and only weigh once a week but if I do get it on and I am a little heavier, I work out harder that day. The only bad thing is it does affect me mentally and I just can't help but get bummed.
  • Beatlechic16
    Options
    Today is my first day on MFP and I am thrilled to see that someone else weighs themselves as much as I do. I'm exactly the same. In the morning- Before I leave for work- when I get home- after a work out- before I go to bed..... Basically ALL THE TIME! LOL

It does help me not eat as much JUNK FOOD. (I keep my scale in the kitchen)
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm beyond obsessed with it. I find I weigh myself after EVERY trip to the bathroom, even if it is just to wash my hands or grab a hand towel to clean up a spill. It could be a bad thing but I find it refocuses me over and over each day. It keeps me from going into the kitchen and mindlessly eating! Do whatever works for you, just don't let it HINDER you. :D
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm beyond obsessed with it. I find I weigh myself after EVERY trip to the bathroom, even if it is just to wash my hands or grab a hand towel to clean up a spill. It could be a bad thing but I find it refocuses me over and over each day. It keeps me from going into the kitchen and mindlessly eating! Do whatever works for you, just don't let it HINDER you. :D